PDA

View Full Version : Work Related - I have to vent

druid
03-19-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm superbly ticked off. :headbrick: :headbrick:

As many of you might know, I work for the Department of Corrections. I just completed 16 hours of "training" - training that in my opinion, completely negates the very reason for a prison or jail system.

Our facility is actively moving towards "IBM" - Inmate Behavioral Management. This theory replaces the "housing them [only]" mentality with a "give them stuff to do for rewards" ideology. In my opinion, we are going to reward them for doing what they are supposed to do in the first place. The facility rules are spelled out in the inmate handbook. My opinion - follow them or be reprimanded. Their opinion - reward them for voluntary compliance.

Another aspect of this IBM is to "walk around and get to know them [the inmates]. Be friendly to them. Ask them how their day is going" WHAT!?? i don't WANT to know them. I didn't come to this job to make friends with criminals...and I could give two ****s how their day is going.

The idea surrounds "give them goals to work for"...like cleaning blocks/housing units and reward them with late-nights, pizza parties and all that crap. Why? "To reduce the amount of incidents in the facility."

Two housing units, one male, one female, are already on this program and they claim "it's working perfectly." Their theory is flawed and they skew their reasons. At the time they introduced this "new idea", we, on SRT, completed our training with Taser and FN303 devices. Both Taser and 303s had been deployed on inmates several times during the introduction of this new "IBM" idea.

First and foremost, female inmates tend to be more compliant to instruction because of gender. This is not to say anything stereotypical or slanderous towards women. Their housing units are staffed with female officers but when 'back-up' is called, male officers respond...male officers who have demonstrated that regardless of the inmate's gender, we will force compliance one way or another. Female inmates are treated no differently than male inmates because REGARDLESS of gender, genuine threats are always present.

Male inmates on the other hand, are some of the most aggressive individuals due to testosterone and size. We use force on a weekly basis. When we had to run into a cell unarmed, people got hurt. Now that we have LL devices at our disposal, minimum incidents - and thus injuries - have been reported.

The administrators think their compliance is due to the IBM dung - we maintain it's because they [the inmates] now know we have [and will use] the pain-compliance devices we now posses.

In their clouded judgement, the next "block" to get the IBM is the diaper sniper block. That's right...child molesters.

I have a HUGE problem with this. How would the victims, the victim's families feel if/when they found out that their attackers/accused attackers are now getting pizza parties, late nights, "movie" nights - for doing what they were supposed to be doing in the first place?

After the molesters, it's the Max unit. These are 60 of the most violent offenders we have. Their charges include rape, drug delivery, homicide, gang related violence and assault to [police] officers [among others]. Throw them a party? Are you effing nuts???

RHU - these are the a-holes that we can't even put on the Max unit. give them more out time? Are you freaking kidding me???

Our job is Care, Custody and Control....not Creatively Coddle the Criminal.
We are to oversee them with Fair, Firm and Consistent attitudes...not Fondle the Flagrant Criminal.

Bull.

To make it worse, the Director [unofficially] threatened our jobs by saying "This is the system we are moving to. Those of you who actively resist this system will be dealt with accordingly."

What?!?

Ok Director...so when you are standing on a block, taken hostage with a 6" shank to your throat, I should be polite and ask them to put it down and I'll get them a slice of Pizza? Why don't we just hand them the effing jail keys while we are at it?

God, I HATE pacifist, inmate coddling, feel-good Liberals [that's what our administration is] who think NOTHING about security for the officers and staff.

vikingshadow
03-19-2010, 01:34 PM
More politically "correct" BS...

Thing is, we're being forced as teachers and administrators to give kids as many chances as it takes to pass and reward them for even SLIGHTLY following procedures and rules they should automatically follow in the first place in our schools. Why am I saying this? Get ready, Druid, cause these kids won't be able to survive in a world that doesn't care about the person, just that you carry your own weight so they will be looking at "alternate" means of survival - which means you're in for more inmates who have no clue what to do in a world that would just as soon kill them than put up with them.

Reminds me of the saying I had a few years ago - the world doesn't care about you. It was here first, and will be here long after you're gone...

druid
03-19-2010, 02:07 PM
More politically "correct" BS...

Thing is, we're being forced as teachers and administrators to give kids as many chances as it takes to pass and reward them for even SLIGHTLY following procedures and rules they should automatically follow in the first place in our schools.
It's this mentality [not yours, but the politically correct BS] that has created the need for so many Juvie facilities. "Spare the rod and spoil the child" has no greater proof than this panzy mentality.

Why am I saying this? Get ready, Druid, cause these kids won't be able to survive in a world that doesn't care about the person, just that you carry your own weight so they will be looking at "alternate" means of survival - which means you're in for more inmates who have no clue what to do in a world that would just as soon kill them than put up with them.

Reminds me of the saying I had a few years ago - the world doesn't care about you. It was here first, and will be here long after you're gone...

I agree. Offenders are getting younger and are more dangerous today than 5, 10 or 20 years ago. They care NOTHING for anything, including the prospect of death [their own, or anyone else'] in the activities they do....gangs, patricide, etc.

paintballkid0206
03-19-2010, 03:01 PM
wow. i completely agree. My dad works as a jailor, so I know a fair ammount about inmates, police, etc. People are in jail for a reason. They're not there to have parties and tons of freedom. They broke the law, so they are there as a PUNISHMENT. It just doesnt make any sense to me.

slim and shady
03-19-2010, 05:03 PM
No kidding I dont get pizza parties! Seems to me there making things alot more cozzy inside then out! People are going to reoffend just to get back to living the "good life"

marvin-martian
03-19-2010, 05:11 PM
No kidding I dont get pizza parties! Seems to me there making things alot more cozzy inside then out! People are going to reoffend just to get back to living the "good life"

Isn't this already happening?

slim and shady
03-19-2010, 07:31 PM
It could be but, by the sounds of it, there is going to be alot more "perks" to it.

Lord Nelson
03-19-2010, 09:58 PM
totally agree with this post. i wish chain gangs were still common. i think harsher jail terms deter more people from crime. of course not all of them. i too hate liberals and their "humane" ideology on how to treat criminals who wouldn't hesitate on cutting their throats or raping their wives.

RSX99
03-20-2010, 03:09 AM
I thought we had it bad in county. Yo Dep, I needs a grievance. Welcome to the generation of kinder/gentler jailing. Where the inmate/prisoner has more rights than the jailer.

I'll come out and say it. **** this PC world we live in and get back to reality people. Bleeding hearts need not apply ie women, gays, biased individuals and people who just want to argue to feel they have a role to play in the cosmos. With that being said, I'm generalizing.

I will be more than willing to listen to these people if and when they get a clue ie walk a mile in a jailers shoes. We know how to get the job done. Let us do our jobs.

I think we all are on the same page Druid. Were all suffering from this bull****.

:soapbox:

buffblackbird2002
03-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Screw This Job, Im Going To Jail, I Want Pizza!!!!

RSX99
03-23-2010, 10:59 PM
Sorry to blow an o-ring in your thread Druid. We're dealing with the same bull right now as well.

druid
03-24-2010, 12:19 AM
No issue with me RSX...it IS bs and I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it.

STRIKEFIRST
03-24-2010, 05:30 AM
And this is why our country is in the toilet.

What happened to MY America!?

bigred76
03-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Communism and pussies.