PDA

View Full Version : foreign exchange?

paintballkid0206
03-14-2010, 10:18 AM
So the other day, a representative from AFS, a foreign exchange program, visited out school and the foreign language classes went to listen/talk to her. I've been thinking about going on an exchange trip to Spain for a little while. I would probably go for a semester or a year-long trip my senior year, because most of my best friends will be graduated by then (i don't have many friends in my grade). I was wondering if anyone here has ever gone on a foreign exchange trip. and if so, how was your experience?

marvin-martian
03-14-2010, 10:26 AM
I have always thought these programs were extremely cool, and I was jealous of people that got to go on them. At the same time, I would be/still am afraid of doing it because I would be diving straight into another life almost (people, places, culture, language) and don't know how I would deal with it all. I saw if you have the opportunity to do it, and think you can manage, then you should go for it. Really neat stuff.

oldironmudder
03-14-2010, 10:28 AM
I wasnt part of one but the year after I got out of school the school got a student from russia or in that area. He got to running around with all of us & found out how much beer & whiskey it took to do stupid stuff. Plus he almost died a few times plus nearly got carried down river one night.

shunut
03-14-2010, 10:54 AM
I always thought it would be so cool to do a foreign exchange program, if I had the opportunity I would take it.

paintballkid0206
03-14-2010, 11:15 AM
I have always thought these programs were extremely cool, and I was jealous of people that got to go on them. At the same time, I would be/still am afraid of doing it because I would be diving straight into another life almost (people, places, culture, language) and don't know how I would deal with it all. I saw if you have the opportunity to do it, and think you can manage, then you should go for it. Really neat stuff.

thats what makes me nervous, but I still think it would be fun and interesting. I think I will be able to manage. money is the only thing that would be a problem. but i could fundraise and save from my summer jobs and borrow money.

I wasnt part of one but the year after I got out of school the school got a student from russia or in that area. He got to running around with all of us & found out how much beer & whiskey it took to do stupid stuff. Plus he almost died a few times plus nearly got carried down river one night.

well, I'm not at all a drinker or a druggie, so that wouldnt really be a problem with me.

I always thought it would be so cool to do a foreign exchange program, if I had the opportunity I would take it.

that's what i'm thinking. and it could possibly increase chances of college acceptance. one problem i see, is that i wouldnt be able to take some of the AP classes I wanted to do senior year, because they go all year.

bigred76
03-15-2010, 12:17 AM
Wait for Sascha (DF) to come along and talk about his living in Germany VS America. It might be interesting to see what he has to say about living and learning in one country and then living and learning in another.

paintballkid0206
03-15-2010, 11:20 AM
so i told my mom i was looking into it more for my senior year. she really doesnt want me to go. cuz if i go a fall semester, i miss football, spring semester means i miss track. full year, i miss both. so one of the few ways to convince her to let me go would be to find a summer/gap year program that's not just community service, cuz it seems like thats what the AFS ones are..

marvin-martian
03-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Do you plan on doing either of those after highschool?

paintballkid0206
03-15-2010, 11:47 AM
track and football? probably not. maybe football, but im not exactly sure about that