PDA

View Full Version : How do ya do this?

StoneSolid
02-25-2010, 03:13 PM
If you go to this page- http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=4554&page=77

and see Thundr's MR2, he ran his macroline out of the side of his gun (scroll down on the page to see a good view of it). I realized he must have drilled and installed some piece to put the 90 degree macroline fitting there. but how and what did he use if anyone knows or can make an educated guess. This would help the design of my gun alot and i just need some guidance

DRAGON
02-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Looks like he drilled and tapped a 1/8"NPT thread directly into the valve chamber from the side rather than feeding the pressure from underneath as the stock version is. You would need to plug up the hole in the bottom of the MR body where the stock VA used to be. A grub screw and Loctite would do it. Also looks like he plumbed the macroline through the stock to a q/d fitting that comes out the bottom of the stock for a remote line -

StoneSolid
02-25-2010, 06:16 PM
ok, i have a gas thru grip where the air should go out, could i just block the bottom of the grip with the grub screw and the grip woud act as like a volumizer? and thanks alot. and after i've drilled the hole for the thread, how do i keep that in place, what kind of adhessive or whatever?

StoneSolid
02-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Also using this website the drill size for the 1/8 NPT is 'R'. what does 'R' mean?

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/npt-national-pipe-taper-threads-d_750.html

THUNDR
02-25-2010, 07:27 PM
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=20816

R is the size bit you use to drill a 1/8 NPT hole, that's what I used to drill the hole and then used a 1/8 NPT tap. I have no idea why it is R, lol.

That link is the quick and dirty of what I did, but if you want I can give you a more detailed walkthrough

DRAGON
02-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Yes, you can just use the grub screw in the grip. The threads keep the elbow in place. Looks like that guy may have used some sort of goop on the elbow but maybe he screwed the threads up and needed it. All you need on the threads if you do it right is some teflon tape to seal the threads, that's it. Drill bit size R is just that. Some bits use letters instead of fractions or decimals. You need to go to a place that sells machining supplies or similar as I'm not sure you can just pick one up of that size at a home depot. Wouldn't hurt to call and see anyway. Look in the yellow pages. I will say if you use the incorrect size you might need to goop up the connection if the hole is too large. Too small and you'll have a tough time tapping. You could even break the tap as well -

Hah, teh thundr beat meh by a minute......... :D

THUNDR
02-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Dragons right, it did leak a bit at first and the goop on the outside is just some JB Weld I had on there for extra security.

Here's some instructions I dug up that I gave to someone else who asked me about it.

So the gist of it is, you've got to plug the bottom hole where the current air line runs in, drill/tap a new hole in the side of that chamber to fit a macro line fitting, and have it connect to another macroline fitting.
First things first, disasemble your marker completely so you've got just the receiver in front of you.

What I did to plug the bottom hole is saw off the threaded part of the adapter that has female ASA theads, make it solid using a blob of JB Stick Weld, and thread it into the hole, sealing it with Loctite. This effectively sealed off the bottom.
Next was to drill into the side of the marker. Here's what I did. Using an "R" sized drill bit, I used a hand power drill to make a hole in the side of my marker, then attempted to thread that hole with a 1/8 NPT tap and pliers. My advice; DO NOT DO WHAT I DID!!! If you know anyone who knows how to properly drill and tap holes, get them to do it. If you're going to do it by hand, make sure you clamp your receiver and use a drill press instead of a hand drill. Mine ended up being a permanent mod because I know the threading isn't perfect but I secured it to the marker using JB Weld and it's airtight now so it works. But like I said, it'll save you a lot of frustration to get it done properly. Once your hole is tapped, tephlon tape the threads of your macro fitting (this one should be a 90 degree) and thread it it onto your gun so it fits snugly facing the rear of your marker.
How you run the macro line to your stock is up to you; I ran mine inside my SAW stock because it's hollow and has a hole meant for air-thru. I used a straight macroline fitting threaded into a double female 1/8 NPT fitting, then threaded my fill nipple from outside the bottom of the stock into that fitting, sandwiching the material of the stock between the two fittings.

StoneSolid
02-25-2010, 08:27 PM
thanks alot man, as for the tapping the hole, my dad is very well aquainted with those type of tools and he's helped me do a few other mods i've done. This is deffinetly gonna be awesome when its done. I'll throw some pics up when im done with it in a week or so

THUNDR
02-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Sounds sweet dude, glad I could help. Can't wait to see it finished

StoneSolid
02-28-2010, 01:28 PM
drilling it today, I just need some loctite

StoneSolid
02-28-2010, 07:19 PM
one last question THUNDR, how did you get your custom shroud and how much did it cost you? im very interested

slim and shady
03-01-2010, 12:18 PM
If you did a search you would probably find your answear I know he posted that when he first goit it from UMS. It might even be in the posta pic of your MR2 thread though I thought he made a seperate one just for that.

jeffx
03-03-2010, 06:42 AM
Guys!!!!!
I can't thank you enough for the info in this post!!!! I am converting a spyder clone (Vexor) into a PanzerSchreck for D-Day this summer, and I have been trying to figure this 1/8 NPT stuff out for a while. I haven't been able to find anyone in town that could help me find the right tap for NPT. Now that I know what the correct terms are I may be able to finish my project.

P.s. I hadn't posted any pictures of my project here because I am using a clone instead of a Spyder. It cost me five bucks off Ebay and I already knew how realible they were because my family got me one for Christmas a while back if you would like to see pics let me know.... I just didn't know if that would be a breach in protocol

slim and shady
03-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Would like to see pics.

StoneSolid
03-09-2010, 03:14 PM
I could start a new thread for this but i figure i'll just ask in here.

does anyone know of any HPA tanks between sizes 13 and 47? I need a small tank that can get atleast 250ish shots

and btw i finished the drilling and tapped my fittings in. I just didnt have enough macroline. so i'll probably get some tomorrow then put soe pictures up