PDA

View Full Version : Toyota is in a world of hurt

RSX99
01-26-2010, 09:19 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/267/story/936095.html

Stopping sales and production of 8 vehicle models.

Ace24
01-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Suspending sales and production. They aren't stopping selling anything and I hardly doubt it'll do much to the corp. My Camry has 207k miles on it and it's still going strong as hell. My dedication to Toyota isn't going to be changed because of some stupid Americans who can't put a car together right.

RSX99
01-27-2010, 12:36 AM
That's got to be a joke. Stopping production and sales of 8 models, even only temporarily is going to be quite detrimental to the company's pocket book but also to their reputation. Come on Ace, open your eyes.

RSX99
01-27-2010, 12:38 AM
What's the difference between suspending sales and "stopping selling anything"?

marvin-martian
01-27-2010, 04:34 AM
Sure this will be a set back, but I highly doubt they will see any long term problems due to this. From what I heard last night, the problem was that the accelerator got stuck on the mat somehow. Shouldn't be all too hard to adjust something that takes such little time...

RSX99
01-27-2010, 04:58 AM
Quoted from the Buffalo News link above.

"The company said it would stop selling eight models of cars and trucks, a significant portion of its fleet. The suspension comes after a recall of the same models last week involving 2.3 million vehicles."

"Aaron Bragman, an auto analyst for the consulting firm IHS Global Insight in Troy, Mich., said Toyota typically sells about 65,000 Camrys and Corollas a month, and the frozen sales could strike at the company's bottom line and reputation for quality."

"That's huge if they can't sell these and they don't have a fix identified. They need to go and get a solution to this fast," Bragman said."

Granted these are opinions of an industry analyst so take them for what they're worth.

shunut
01-27-2010, 05:50 AM
Already down $5 a share, which is actually less than I thought they would be. I think if they are quick about it, they will do fine, but they need to be quick. If they are not quick, we could see some major problems.

battlechaser
01-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Apparently the plant that manufactured the parts (gass pedals) is being called into question, it's supposedly a company called CTS, which I think is based in Canada, their Mississauga plant being the one in question, should be interesting because I've heard this is also a minor issue on new Ford Escapes/Mazda Tributes.. (Gas pedal binds up causing rapid acceleration).

Should be interesting to see, but I doubt it'll have the impact RSX is worried about. There will be massive recalls, the company will lose some money and business will return to normal.

timmyshoota
02-02-2010, 06:22 PM
I work at a Toyota dealership and all this is media bullsh*t. Its the government pushing Toyota around. There have been a HANDFUL of cases, and its being blown out of proportion, starting with the floormat crap that is due to people stacking floormats. Its just common sense that if you stack floormats theres a chance the pedal can catch.

RSX99
02-03-2010, 06:52 AM
Ouch

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8493414.stm

MR2 Woodsballer
03-15-2010, 02:12 AM
I actully work at one plant in Georgetown, KY although I am not allowed to comment too much because I have signed confidentality aggreements. I can say the media is not doing us any favors and is completly one sided from my point of view. There have been 2 recalls issued the first was issued last year involving floor mats. The second recall that was issued was about a slow returing/sticking accellator pedal from the pedal assembly. www.toyota.com/recall (http://www.toyota.com/recall/?srchid=K610_p229517417) I do think its funny how goverment motors is keeping their recalls from their cars quiet witch include: Chevrolet Cobalts sold between 2005 and 2010 and 2007-2010 Pontiac G5s sold in the U.S., as well as 2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuits sold in Canada and 2005-2006 Pontiac G4s sold in Mexico. Funny thing is their recall involves the power steering to go out and lock up the steering wheel like when you turn off the car. I donno about you but I would rather my pedal stick and hit the brakes to stop the car while in controll. Than not be able to steer it at all, just my 2 cents. Also the suspension of sales inclued the floor mat recall. I would love to say alot more but I am not allowed to.