PDA

View Full Version : Smart Parts "Temporary" Closure

DFSniper
01-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Smart Parts Inc., undergoes temporary closure for restructuring during the month of January 2009.

Loyalhanna, PA – January 6, 2010 – Paintball manufacturer Smart Parts, Inc. is temporarily shutting down all manufacturing and sale operations in order to facilitate a corporate restructuring. During this time, the company will not be able accept or process orders, ship or receive products or perform repairs. The restructuring process is expected to be completed by the end of January 2010.

“It is important that people do not send equipment in for service during this time,” said company Vice President, Adam Gardner. “Our buildings will not be staffed during the restructuring, so there will be no one there to receive packages. They will automatically be refused and returned to the sender.

“To the players, field owners and store owners, please know that we appreciate your support and are looking forward to a fresh start for the 2010 paintball season. We apologize for any inconvenience this short closure may cause, and hope to make it up to you in the future.”

Smart Parts, Inc., is a leading developer and manufacturer of equipment and accessories for the sport of paintball.

basically theyre restructuring and moving everything overseas.

battlechaser
01-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Yay for even ****tier tolerances! :D

xsvly-fat
01-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Hmmm... Interesting. Are they really moving things overseas though?

Scorpio98
01-07-2010, 06:25 PM
i hope they dont go under and hope they come back hard and get stuff done to stay ahead.

DFSniper
01-07-2010, 06:32 PM
scorpio, youre obviously new to paintball... so i'll let you slide..

xsvly, thats whats been going around. theyre closing all their plants in the US. dealers were told not to order any more stuff since new products werent being sold anymore.

RSX99
01-07-2010, 09:45 PM
American companies should not have the ability to relocate overseas. GG to the Feds for their collective inaction. Revolution anyone?

xsvly-fat
01-09-2010, 02:31 PM
To be honest it would kinda suck if they went under. I don't think it would help paintball to much... Well, maybe it would ha. Why would the company that makes a gun as unrealiable as the shocker go overseas where it would cost more for shipping as well as take longer?

DFSniper
01-09-2010, 05:06 PM
because theyre not in it to make a good gun, theyre in it for the money. i mean, look how much the 09 impulse flopped. and that was their first new gun since the ion...

RSX99
01-09-2010, 06:05 PM
I haven't been keeping track of the paintball scene for a while now. Why did the 09 Impulse fail?

DFSniper
01-09-2010, 07:47 PM
well, the #1 reason was the way they designed the feedneck. the neck was so low pressed into the body that it basically carves away at the bolt. i was talking to someone about this the other day, and its rare to find a used on on pbnation...

druid
01-09-2010, 11:31 PM
American companies should not have the ability to relocate overseas. GG to the Feds for their collective inaction. Revolution anyone?

Hmm.....

Know anyone who drives a car or uses a cell phone? They aren't "American" so what's the issue?

TheDarkShadow
01-10-2010, 07:25 AM
the vibe and the SP1 seem to be one of the only things that they really have going for them as far as good markers for the money

STRIKEFIRST
01-13-2010, 02:37 PM
O U C H...Our country can't afford to lose jobs tha actually "creat" a product...

RSX99
01-14-2010, 01:16 AM
Hmm.....

Know anyone who drives a car or uses a cell phone? They aren't "American" so what's the issue?

You mean to tell me that every auto manufacturer has their product manufactured overseas? That's a fallacy because I know for a fact that the Ford Edge is produced right in Buffalo.

I cannot comment on the cell phone because I have no information regarding that matter.

RSX99
01-14-2010, 01:18 AM
On top of that point, you seem not to have an issue with the outsourcing of American jobs.

bigred76
01-14-2010, 01:58 AM
My BlackBerry was made in Mexico. Some are made in Hungary and some are made in the country that RIM is based out of, Canada. Most phones are made in Japan or elsewhere.

That doesn't matter in the end to the consumer so long as the product is the same. I feel bad for the employees, but its the Gardners that screwed them.

Muddytaco
01-14-2010, 01:56 PM
because theyre not in it to make a good gun, theyre in it for the money. i mean, look how much the 09 impulse flopped. and that was their first new gun since the ion...

the vibe and the SP1 seem to be one of the only things that they really have going for them as far as good markers for the money

I guess everybody forgot that the luxe is a smart parts gun made under the DLX name?

Overpriced for what it is, yes, but its still a nice gun.

battlechaser
01-14-2010, 01:59 PM
You mean to tell me that every auto manufacturer has their product manufactured overseas? That's a fallacy because I know for a fact that the Ford Edge is produced right in Buffalo.

I cannot comment on the cell phone because I have no information regarding that matter.

Actually, the Edge and MKX are built in Oakville, Ontario.. I drive past the plant the produces them regularly (not to mention the first digit of the VIN is 2 which = Canada). You might be thinking about the Escape.

druid
01-14-2010, 11:36 PM

No. I mean to tell you that just about everything you own has either been made in, or from, foreign countries or materials. Not one thing you own since around 1980 doesn't have some foreign component to it. Hell...my 1972 Nova was made from US steel but assembled in Canada. Parts too. A car might be made here...but is made from materials from overseas...or vice versa. Same goes for yur cell phone, dvd player, Xbox, computer....whatever you have as 'entertainment' or transportation.

On top of that point, you seem not to have an issue with the outsourcing of American jobs.

Well considering that I happen to have a father who was forced into early retirement because he was a US Steel worker...I think you are pointing the finger at the wrong person. I have a different perspective and it includes greedy company heads [AND employees] who insist on 100% healthcare coverage, union protections, high salaries and paid vacations...that drive the company to find a cheaper solution. You also seem to forget that automation of factories dwindles a worforce by thousands. Blame it on EVERYONE'S greed and the highly sought "technology revolution."

My BlackBerry was made in Mexico. Some are made in Hungary and some are made in the country that RIM is based out of, Canada. Most phones are made in Japan or elsewhere.

That doesn't matter in the end to the consumer so long as the product is the same. I feel bad for the employees, but its the Gardners that screwed them.
To a point but as I've said before. The Gardner's wouldn't have done it, had the banks not called in their loans [because of their own Wall street messes]. Put the blame where it belongs...some to the Gardners but the rest elsewhere.

RSX99
01-15-2010, 12:36 AM
Actually, the Edge and MKX are built in Oakville, Ontario.. I drive past the plant the produces them regularly (not to mention the first digit of the VIN is 2 which = Canada). You might be thinking about the Escape.

A huge banner on the side of the Buffalo Ford plant says otherwise. Maybe they're built in both locations?

RSX99
01-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Good points Druid. Our opinions aren't all that different. Yes companies are greedy. Yes unions are killing both efficiency and the ability to stay competitive. But, NAFTA is really screwing us over in my opinion. And the Feds have done nothing to stifle the loss of American jobs to people who don't speak a lick of English.

Call me old school, but I say drill Alaska and screw the rest of the world. Stop spending billions upon billions in aid across the globe and fix our own country. Help your own people who are struggling to provide for their families. Isolationism ftmfw.

druid
01-15-2010, 01:32 AM
Good points Druid. Our opinions aren't all that different. Yes companies are greedy. Yes unions are killing both efficiency and the ability to stay competitive. But, NAFTA is really screwing us over in my opinion. And the Feds have done nothing to stifle the loss of American jobs to people who don't speak a lick of English.

Call me old school, but I say drill Alaska and screw the rest of the world. Stop spending billions upon billions in aid across the globe and fix our own country. Help your own people who are struggling to provide for their families. Isolationism ftmfw.

RSX...you and I are of such close opinions, it's absolutely scary.

My opinion on jobs is...there are tons of jobs to be had - it's just no one wants to DO those jobs. I want a burger...few people want to flip them...etc, etc.

Another issue I find a problem...

The US Government can track "Mad Cow" disease back to the freaking STALL the original specimen was in...

But they can't locate 7 MILLION PLUS-Illegal immigrants and ship them back...
Right there is at LEAST 5 million jobs......

RSX99
01-15-2010, 01:46 AM
Don't get me started on illegal immigrants or :soapbox: shall ensue.

STRIKEFIRST
01-15-2010, 06:26 AM
We don't manufacturer anything anymore...All our country does is consume. That is a recipe for disaster.

bigred76
01-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Paul, how about we bill the Gardners with screwing the paintballers and the banks with the economy? ;) Two different yet related subjects, and I agree that they both have some blame: but for different things. The banks did what banks do: call in their loans. The Gardners made a ****ty business decision to pull out the loan, and then the Gardners did what they do best... they avoided getting screwed by screwing everyone else.

druid
01-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Paul, how about we bill the Gardners with screwing the paintballers and the banks with the economy? ;) Two different yet related subjects, and I agree that they both have some blame: but for different things.

1. The banks did what banks do: call in their loans.

2. The Gardners made a ****ty business decision to pull out the loan,

3. and then the Gardners did what they do best... they avoided getting screwed by screwing everyone else.

1. The banks that got caught up in the mortgage fiasco/tank on Wall street has nothing to do with SP. They screwed themselves and THEN called in all loans [to include those with SP]. THAT forced SP to do what they did.

2. I will not argue that SP spread themselves too thin. 3 or 4 markers in the span of about a year/year and a half...that was idiotic. Even MORE idiotic is this constant notion that markers like the LUXE are going to be bought in such high quantities to make it their "bread and butter." That goes for ANYONE...DP, WDP, anyone.

3. If you had a business that cost as much to run as they do/did....YOU would have done the EXACT same thing. Period. Don't say you wouldn't because like them - you wouldn't have had much of a choice.

Whine and complain about SP all you want [all people...not just Tim ;) ] they were a huge contribution to the sport in general. You may not have reaped direct benefits from it...but they helped provide all those Shockers everyone craved at one time, tourney fields, prizes and sponsorships and got a TON of new players [targets for us? :D ] into the game by way of the Ion, SP8 and SP1 line of markers.

battlechaser
01-17-2010, 03:56 PM
A huge banner on the side of the Buffalo Ford plant says otherwise. Maybe they're built in both locations?

That's just a stamping plant, they make parts for the Edge, but it is assembled (built) in Oakville.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Stamping_Plant

RSX99
01-18-2010, 06:16 AM
That's just a stamping plant, they make parts for the Edge, but it is assembled (built) in Oakville.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Stamping_Plant

If we shall nitpick, the frame is produced in Buffalo and final assembly takes place in Canada..

Don't get me going on outsourcing again :mad:

battlechaser
01-18-2010, 01:50 PM
It's not outsourcing for me.. and Edge's are unibody, the subframe will be made in Buffalo, the main body of the car will be built on the assembly line. :p

In all seriousness, I know what you're getting at, it's just another instance where someone less, or just as qualified has swooped in an offered a cheaper solution. That's just business though. 60 jobs in the grand scheme of things is nothing, the paper mill my Dad has worked at for the last 36 years is all but toast due to the Bush administration's taxation on Canadian softwood products. The plant used to employ about 2500 workers, last he told me they're down to 500, and he's one of the last two machinists left, and they're taking about axing his department completely now and outsourcing all their machine-work. I really do feel for the families, but if they worked in that industry, they knew it was coming.