PDA

View Full Version : COD4 multiplayer question

paintballkid0206
01-04-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm looking to buy a COD game for my new laptop. I was looking at Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Its cheaper than MW2, and i heard its just as good. But theres a few things im concerned with. I heard it has a short single-player campaign, but great multiplayer. thats cool, but i dont have friends to go online with. Can i play multiplayer on it with just myself and set a couple of computer players? and if I can't on COD4, can I do that on any other COD game? This is kinda essential to me buying this game, cuz i dont want to finish the campaign and say "now what?"

Paradox313
01-04-2010, 07:02 PM
I have a PS3 mind you.

I've never played any of the COD games preceding COD 4. Yes I played World at War.
COD4 has an amazing storyline, so buy it for that if anything. If you go with MW2, I think you'll be able to figure out the story.
Unfortunately MW2 doesn't have a sniper mission, and COD4 does. That bummed me out a bit.

I played COD4 online for a bit, and it was just really hard for me. Just could never get into a groove, and get above a 1/1 KDR. So needless to say, I didn't have much fun when playing it.
Sold it, bought WaW.

World at War has a pretty fun multiplayer. However, I felt the lighting was a little dark.
I tried adjusting the contrast and such, but then it just looked white. Could never find the right balance.
Got into online for a bit, and it sometimes was fun.
Sold it, bought MW2

MW2 is incredibly fun.
The storyline is amazing, and online much funner than WaW or COD 4.
At least with this online play, I'm able to get pretty good scores from time to time.
There's much more weapons and perks than COD4, and I feel that it's well worth the money.
I'm keeping it.

paintballkid0206
01-04-2010, 07:52 PM
so... still looking for an answer to my original question.

But thanks, Paradox. that helped out alot. I dont know my internet connection speed, so i dont know how good of a connection i will have for online play. and i have hughesnet, so i have a limit on my internet usage. will online play have a big impact on the usage? and I'm still debating... after what you've said, its between COD4, WaW, and MW2. COD4 is cheaper.. but MW2 is newer, and I've heard good things about it... hm...

xsvly-fat
01-04-2010, 08:37 PM
I just got it for the Wii yesterday. As far as I know you can not play with a few computers on any of them that I know of. However you can play with other real people online...

We have a pretty crappy internet connection and it still works fine. I really didn't like WaW. It just seemed wierd to me. I have played MW2 for the PS3 and I think it's alot of fun and like Paradox said you do have alot better weapons and perks for MW2. The only reason why I didn't get MW2 is that I've already played it and wanted to try COD4, and Walmart didn't have MW2...

Paradox313
01-04-2010, 08:42 PM
so i dont know how good of a connection i will have for online play. and i have hughesnet, so i have a limit on my internet usage.

Oh most definitely steer clear of online play then.
I had that type of service a few years ago, and my mom got pissed at me cause I would always eat it up.

The only reason why I didn't get MW2 is that I've already played it and wanted to try COD4, and Walmart didn't have MW2...

Bought mine for $40 off of craigslist.

paintballkid0206
01-04-2010, 08:45 PM
ok, do you think it would go over this limit that i'm under? I think its like 200 MB per day. I played WaW on my wii a while back and i didnt really like it too much.

paintballkid0206
01-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Oh most definitely steer clear of online play then.
I had that type of service a few years ago, and my mom got pissed at me cause I would always eat it up.

ok, thanks

Paradox313
01-04-2010, 09:01 PM
ok, do you think it would go over this limit that i'm under? I think its like 200 MB per day. I played WaW on my wii a while back and i didnt really like it too much.

I think you would easily get over that.

bigred76
01-04-2010, 10:27 PM
MW2 has a "sniper" level. It's the stealth one with Soap and Price in the snow.

Paradox313
01-04-2010, 11:06 PM
MW2 has a "sniper" level. It's the stealth one with Soap and Price in the snow.

That's hardly anything.

I'm talking about a hardcore sniping with ghilie, tracking down through enemy territory for a one shot, one kill.
I played the sniper mission constantly, and it was the most unique thing I've ever played.

I REALLY want a mainstream sniper game with beautiful graphics, and realistic physics.

Spec_Ops_PB
01-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Whether you have friends to play with or not, you can always go online and play with people you don't know: no problem there.

Although if you have an internet usage limit, IMO you're going to bust it daily if you play online... But I can't say firsthand because I play it on a console, which is what I recommend you do if you intend on playing a lot of multiplayer.

As for the game in general: I enjoy COD4 just as much as MW2 (I have both) as far as the campaign AND multiplayer, but that may be only because I'm very far from being as familiar with the maps and weapons in MW2 than in COD4 in multiplyer... I know COD4 in and out due to the enormous amount of hours spent playing it... lol

Eventually when I get to know all the maps and weapons and perks in MW2 really well, it definitely has the potential to be a lot more fun than COD4, but for now I can't say. I still play COD4 as much as MW2 as we speak, and the same goes for all my friends...

As for the campaign, IMO MW2 has more sniping than COD4, for simple reasons. Yes, there IS a whole mission dedicated to sniping in COD4, and MW2 not so much, but here's the difference: In MW2 you have the possibility and the tools required to snipe throughout basically the whole entire campaign, whereas in COD4, aside from the sniper mission, there aren't many opportunities for you to snipe. And that's not counting the "snow" missions in MW2 where you can pretty much use exclusively your sniper rifle.

Just my quickly expressed .02 ...

*EDIT*

I forgot to mention: I can't stand playing WaW at all, campaign or multiplayer, and believe me I've tried...
It's a mix or WW2 weapons, and aids-inducing multiplayer gameplay that literally drives me away from this game...

xsvly-fat
01-05-2010, 03:11 PM
That's hardly anything.

I'm talking about a hardcore sniping with ghilie, tracking down through enemy territory for a one shot, one kill.
I played the sniper mission constantly, and it was the most unique thing I've ever played.

I REALLY want a mainstream sniper game with beautiful graphics, and realistic physics.

I just played that mission today. It was so sick. Somebody should make just a sniper game. The multiplayer would be eh but the campain would be sick.

As long as you don't get WaW you'll be happy.

Paradox313
01-05-2010, 03:23 PM
As long as you don't get WaW you'll be happy.
I thought the single player was alright.
Definitely not intense as the MW series, but it was bearable.

paintballkid0206
01-05-2010, 07:29 PM
so you guys dont think i would get bored with the single-player compaign on either COD4 or MW2? I'm hearing equal good about both, and COD4 is cheaper... after COD4 i will prolly but another first person shooter game because my house is severely lacking in that department. we have a wii so we cant find many 1p shooters for it, and my brother is obsessed with mario...

Paradox313
01-05-2010, 08:00 PM
so you guys dont think i would get bored with the single-player compaign on either COD4 or MW2? I'm hearing equal good about both, and COD4 is cheaper... after COD4 i will prolly but another first person shooter game because my house is severely lacking in that department. we have a wii so we cant find many 1p shooters for it, and my brother is obsessed with mario...

Well you eventually will get bored. Playing the same missions over and over doesn't hold much entertainment value to me.
Sandbox games are extremely fun for me.

May I recommend a game that holds a type of multiplayer, but still singleplayer?
Battlefield 2 (and throw in some mods). Especially the ones you can modify.

Although it's a multiplayer dedicated game, the single player is essentially an offline multiplayer, but your team, and opposition are bots. Throwing in varieties of mods such as a bod modifier, and my personal favorite Mercenaries mod make the singleplayer quite fun.
But in order to download the mods, it requires some heavy bytes.

But that's just my suggestion.

Oh, and Garry's Mod was incredibly fun. I stopped playing after it became a game that you had to buy exclusively from Steam. But yet again it'll eat up your internet, and you need copies of Half Life 2, Source, and Day of Defeat Source.

xsvly-fat
01-05-2010, 08:36 PM
May I recommend a game that holds a type of multiplayer, but still singleplayer?
Battlefield 2 (and throw in some mods). Especially the ones you can modify.

Battlefield 2 was so sick. I had it for the PS2 but it got really scratched up. I would get that if you can find it for around 20 or 30 bucks. It was alot of fun, good single player and the online was just as good as COD4 and MW2. In my opinion atleast.

Paradox313
01-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Battlefield 2 was so sick. I had it for the PS2 but it got really scratched up. I would get that if you can find it for around 20 or 30 bucks. It was alot of fun, good single player and the online was just as good as COD4 and MW2. In my opinion atleast.

?
That's really overpriced for just BF2

Says at Amazon you can get the coplete pack for $26
http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-2-Complete-Collection-DVD-Pc/dp/B000MRB8LQ

Definitely pick up BF2 in the near future.

paintballkid0206
01-06-2010, 04:14 PM
what exactly is Battlefield 2? I'm guessing is still a first person shooter game. But it does have the type of multiplayer i'm looking for? with me and computers?

leed
01-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Battlefield 2 is indeed another FPS, and you can play with AI's in your multiplayer. There are different types of playing, but essentially, you can take over bases, and choose where you spawn, and such. You have classes and the like, and there are also vehicles.

As for COD4, it's okay, but PunkBuster is annoying as mess if you're playing online on the Computer. It's a little more expandable to maps (they're free), but I imagine you would overrun that 200MB quite easily, really.

xsvly-fat
01-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I really didn't know it was that cheap... I might have to pick it up. I would get Battlefield 2 for that price. Get COD later, the price will only go down and Battlefield 2 is a sick game and it's well worth the price.