PDA

View Full Version : Mr2 sniper

dreed440
11-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Rap4 makes an amazing sniper kit for the Spyder Mr2.
The kit comes with a good stock, a 3 x 90 x 40 scope, a scope mount, an 18" rifled barrel all for $200

I think that the gun is quite accurate, but before I bought the kit I wanted some other opinions.

Opinionate away:D

slim and shady
11-30-2009, 08:14 PM
what stock? hopefully its angled down to allow room for your mask when you try to look through the scope.
Dont like scopes, go for a red dot if anything, and 18"barrel is ok for woodsball but any other place you may find yourself playing (buildings, bunkers trenches ect.) its just to long. so the barrel all depends on what you are playing I guess. the scope mount is good.

DFSniper
12-01-2009, 05:03 AM
well, most of what rap4 makes is cheap crap. are you talking about this?
http://www.rap4.com/paintball/os/spyder-sidewinder-sniper-paintball-p-7430.html

1) a scope is useless in paintball
2) that barrel is way too long to be effective
3) rifling doesnt work
4) that stock is about the only decent thing on there.

and for $200, youre paying waaaay too much.

jeffx
12-01-2009, 06:32 AM
I would agree with a lot of what you said.
Except that I do know that the rifling in the Rap4 barrel does actually work. I have a 14" ceramic J and J on my MR2 and we put it against a marker with the Rap4 barrel. In accuracy, they were almost identical!!!! One nice feature was that the Rap4 comes Apex tip ready. My buddy was shooting around a tree in my back yard with his and still placing his shots in a 10-12 inch group.
Also Rap4 makes anything but crap. I have their side winder scope on my marker and it is the best scope mount that I have ever found!!!! It not only adjusts up and down, but also left and right to put your scope (should you choose to use one, mine was given to me) in the perfect spot to be seen when using googles.
They do sell alot of stuff that is simply not needed or follows the hype of certain looks of real weapons, but the stuff they sell is top notch.

bigred76
12-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Nice try, Jeff, but utterly wrong.

RAP4, like Trinity, has their stuff made overseas. Half the items that are branded RAP4 are also overpriced copies of a lesser known competitor (headache is hindering me from remembering which one's name).

Rifling DOES NOT help a paintball. We're talking about a gelatinous sphere that does not have any definitive mass inside (paint moves around), and all you're doing with a rifled barrel is increasing the possibility of a barrel break due to a snag in the rifling on an overbored ball. On a REAL firearm, a semi-solid (due to the temperatures involved) metal object is being shoved out the barrel. This yields a much better result since it is what it's made for.

Scope? Don't even get me started on that bull****. Not worth the money unless it's a red dot. Paintballs are simply too inaccurate. Don't give me all the bull**** we've all heard about them either, all of us veterans know better.

When you're trying to compare accuracy, you did the right thing: you compared two low-end barrels. Now, go find someone with a DYE Ultralight or an EQUIVALENT (Proto 2-Pc, MacDev, etc), and try to come up with the words to make it seem like they're even remotely close. Toss that Apex on and you just lost every hope of winning that battle. Also, 18" don't help nothin'. 12-16" barrels are optimum, anything else is bust.

dreed440
12-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Wow!!! Thanks for all the feedback. Call me a stuborn snob but i really like the looks of the gun. The stock seems decent, and I just found that Rap4 is making those golf paintballs, there are also the sniper paintballs. So those might work well with the rifled barrel.

I only really play woodsball, (used to use a spyder vs2 with a virtue board) so guess I'm trying something new with the Mr2.

Im also moderately accurate, so I thought that the scope would be a good way to find the enemies.

Since everyone has a lot of NICE THINGS to say about the sniper kit :p , what would you recomend instead for the Mr2?

DFSniper
12-02-2009, 04:49 PM
a nice 14" barrel

slim and shady
12-02-2009, 08:06 PM
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=17426

bigred76
12-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Wow!!! Thanks for all the feedback. Call me a stuborn snob but i really like the looks of the gun. The stock seems decent, and I just found that Rap4 is making those golf paintballs, there are also the sniper paintballs. So those might work well with the rifled barrel.

I only really play woodsball, (used to use a spyder vs2 with a virtue board) so guess I'm trying something new with the Mr2.

Im also moderately accurate, so I thought that the scope would be a good way to find the enemies.

Since everyone has a lot of NICE THINGS to say about the sniper kit :p , what would you recomend instead for the Mr2?

Golf balls... HAH! I got that email the other day and was laughing non-stop for 5min or so. It's a good idea, but for the price... You might as well be a rental buying crappy field paint. Get the good balls for $50/case and be happy like the rest of us.

Those "sniper" rounds that you're referring to are the Tiberius First Strike, correct? Simply put: garbage that has a high probability of injuring someone else and cannot be used with an MR2 easily. Not a great idea.

If anything, a scope will narrow your field of view and thus make it harder to acquire targets when you're not already looking at them.

As DF said, get a nice 14" CP. They're $30-40 NIB, and are most excellent. If you want a better barrel than that, get a UL or Freak.

hellfire
12-03-2009, 02:51 AM
Get the good balls for $50/case and be happy like the rest of us.
WOW, BigRed76 really does not like to go outside the box, AT ALL!!

as far as using Tiberius First Strike and a rifled barrel I BELIEVE (not 100% sure) the fins on the FS round are made to rotate the opposite of a riffled barrel's rotation pattern and tend to go straight down the barrel anyway.

Those "sniper" rounds that you're referring to are the Tiberius First Strike, correct? Simply put: garbage that has a high probability of injuring someone else and cannot be used with an MR2 easily. Not a great idea.
Correct on the point you can only use the FS rounds with a T8.1, T4 or T9 that have the correct barrels and magazine feed. "garbage and high probability of injuring"...not sure what he means. They are just under a dollar a round so yes they are very expensive but they are very accurate, check youtube or some reviews of them for you self to decide that one.

dreed440, have fun asking this forum for advice, i suggest you check out some milsim sites and other forums, do your research in more than one forum.

dreed440
12-03-2009, 03:04 AM
Ok so most everyone agrees that there is nothing in this kit that will improve my play, but is there anything that will significally hurt it?

bigred76
12-03-2009, 11:59 AM
LOL, I'm so outside of the box normally that I forget most times where that sucker is. Nothing will seriously inhibit you except the barrel. Get a nice CP instead.

dreed440
12-04-2009, 05:12 PM
:) ok so I have reviewed everything and I think you guys are right. The sniper kit (while looking totally pro) is impractical. So now I came up with a mixed list of upgrades that I might buy.

1) a sidewinder scope mount for the Mr2

2) a 1 x 46 red dot

3) a SAW buttstock

4) and a better barrel

Thanks for all of the advice:)

slim and shady
12-05-2009, 05:00 AM
If you have a little extra cash I would get a barrel kit. well worh the money and your going to want to upgrade to it eventually anyway. Also if your not using HPA yet you should really think about switching to it.

dreed440
12-05-2009, 02:57 PM
i think that I might buy a J & J pro 1 barrel.

Is that good? Bad?

And I was just wondering if any of you guys own mr2's. If so what setup do you have?

SundragonPPS
12-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Seems you are under the illusion that spending more will make it better, not so. The price of that kit you mentioned is a bit much for what you get. You're better off getting exactly what you want rather than what someone else is pushing off on you in a kit like that.

You can ask for suggestions of what you should get all day but people will give you their view of the ideal marker, not yours. Not saying it's a bad thing to ask about specific items such as that useless(for paintball) rifled barrel. A red dot is more practical than a scope for paintball. If you want J&J, just get the ceramic. Not all barrels will fit in the shroud of the MR2.

sneekypete
12-06-2009, 02:42 AM
Yes make sure that the barrel that you get fits the MR-2 shroud I am not sure that the J&J Pro Barrel 1 will fit. Just make sure that it is not bigger than 7/8 or you can get a modified shroud then you don't have to worry. I got mine thanks to Shady and love it. I have use the J&J ceramic and it works very well. I thought it was accurate and does fit in the shroud. As for my set up ckeck my sig.

dreed440
12-06-2009, 02:40 PM
So, in your personal opinion, is the Mr2 accurate enough for a scope?

bigred76
12-06-2009, 03:06 PM
A red dot is more practical than a scope for paintball.

Scope? Don't even get me started on that bull****. Not worth the money unless it's a red dot. Paintballs are simply too inaccurate. Don't give me all the bull**** we've all heard about them either, all of us veterans know better.

Your last question was answered twice, Dreed.

slim and shady
12-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Scopes really dont work for paintball, cosmetic apperences sure but not for actual shot placement. when you miss because the feild of veiw is so small you have no idea what way you should point the marker to correct yourself. I have a few on some markers I rarly if ever use, and all the scope has really done for me is arm band identification at ranges that are to great for my eyes to see alone. I find that aspect usefull, but not for actual play. The one on my Trracer I use sometimes but im so close I couldnt miss if my eyes were closed. People get the impression if they add a scope they can shoot farther, im not sure why but they do. I would say dont bother with the scope its just more weight.

dreed440
12-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Don't care how many times it was answered. If im going to be spending any money at all I just wanted a good idea about what (if any) thing I should buy.

I was just wondering. Sneekypete, how much did that set up cost?

bigred76
12-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Dude... you asked a question on a public forum in a thread that many people have answered to expecting an answer from a specific member that just glanced in and gave his momentary input while there were two VERY experienced members of this forum that had already answered, one of whom OWNS a Spyder specific paintball shop that also manufactures Spyder parts and the other who is his local shop's tech/sales person. :dodgy: You either need to accept people's answers, or at least give us the courtesy of letting us know in the first post of the thread that you only care about your own opinion and want a confirmation on it so we can all ignore it.

DFSniper
12-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Don't care how many times it was answered. If im going to be spending any money at all I just wanted a good idea about what (if any) thing I should buy.

I was just wondering. Sneekypete, how much did that set up cost?

and we're telling you, a scope is not a good idea. youll never use it because A) all your targets you can see with the scope will be either ultra close or out of range and B) your eye relief will be ****ed up because you have a mask lens in the way.

slim and shady
12-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Make it 3 Tim I fix, sell, and maintain spyder markers every Saterday. Either way I think the scope question has bein addressed, any other questions?

sneekypete
12-07-2009, 10:13 AM
I hear you there Slim and I seem to remember a senario where that is almost all you did.
As for the cost of my set up dreed440 I don't know the exact cost but I can tell you that is was not cheep.

slim and shady
12-07-2009, 01:09 PM
I hear you there Slim and I seem to remember a senario where that is almost all you did.
As for the cost of my set up dreed440 I don't know the exact cost but I can tell you that is was not cheep.

At least im getting paid now and not just doing it out of the goodness of my heart :P

dreed440
12-09-2009, 02:50 AM
Ok sorry I guess I just got caught in all the holiday sales and junk. You guys saved me from spending a crapload of money. Thanks a bunch. :)

slim and shady
12-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Gee its not very often we get that! your welcome!

dreed440
12-16-2009, 05:30 PM
OK I (reluctantly) decided that I wont buy the sniper kit. (Or anything else that involves paintball and sniping) Instead, I bought a J&J ceramic Edge ELITE kit for $65. Which was weird because the normal and all-star kits were the same price. Oh well, so I just got the package today. Haven't used it yet because it was dark outside. Do you need the shroud? If you do is there any way to adjust anything to still use it?

By the way I was kidding about the reluctantly part. After what you guys said it was the obvious choice. Again thank you so much!!!

Spec_Ops_PB
12-17-2009, 11:11 AM
I may be a little late but I guess I'll jump in for the sake of it...

If you absolutely want to play a sniper role in a scenario game or while playing woodsball and you have a good budget, you have to get another marker.... the MR2 won't do the trick. What you can and should get if you want a really accurate setup is a Tiberius marker. Either the T-9 or the brand new T-4. Now those setups will cost you a lot if you calculate the price of the marker -- around $400-500 for the Tiberius T-9 Elite and around $800-900 for the T-4 -- and of course the price of the mags. Your only option for a really accurate round is the Tiberius First Strike, which also cost a lot, but you will shoot a lot less because you will take one or two rounds to eliminate an enemy player.... But believe me, whatever all those "haters" out there will say, the FS rounds WORK and work very well. I've experienced that first hand.

If you want to keep your MR2 and make it as accurate as possible, you will need to slap on some upgrades. I see you've just purchased the J&J Elite kit: that's great. Next I'd suggest a new bolt. Of course if you're using CO2 you will have to switch to HPA, and you'll probably want to get a regulator. After that you can get a good stock like the Special Ops Commando for more stability.

Just my .02 anyways. Hope it helped!

*EDIT*

And although the guys here may have put it very crudely, they were absolutely right.
That "Sniper" kit from Rap4 is pure bull****. It's basically just for looks and is totally impractical...
And even if you still wanted that exact kit, you could easily get it for half the price anywhere else.