PDA

View Full Version : MR1 Barrel

Master Xavier
10-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give some advice in regards to a longer Barrel for my MR1. I have the standard 12 inch, and was looking at something a bit longer for pushing around brush and perhaps for slightly better accuracy.

Im caught between finding something that provides the slightly better accuracy, and something that doesn't create too much drag on the ball. Any suggestions? It seems 14-16 inch is popular.

Can I get some unbiased balanced reviews about 18-20 inch barrels as well? I probably could use a little length to hold the shots a little more on course.

Don't worry. I'm an airsoft sniper as well as paintball player. I KNOW the difference between airsoft and paintball. So the question now is, where do I go with my barrel shopping? Thanks!

ForeverSpyder
10-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Well, I've never tried anything above 16", but 16" itself feels too long to me. Harder to slide, hits trees and bunkers when playing woods. Of course if you're used to a longer airsoft gun, you probably wouldn't mind it.

Looks like you already know the rough physics of the matter, so I won't bore you, instead some personal opinions;

-If you're playing woods, go for a none gloss black finish, like the matte finish on the MR1 barrel.

-If you're going for a single piece, get something that's a medium bore, so at least it works most of the time. Balls are getting smaller and smaller, if you play at a regular field, check their ball sizes and work from there.

-Lighter? Heavier? Depends how your gun is balanced, and how you like it.

-Porting. More porting means more quiet, less is louder. There is exceptions, and efficiency details, but I won't bore you.

So many more things, but for a first barrel upgrade it'd do more harm than good to list them all and confuse you. Personally, I like my barrels 14" at the longest.

`Fs

bigred76
10-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Get a J&J 16" if you want a longer barrel. Anything longer is just plain too long. Plus, the extra length will not help your marker at all. If anything, it will hinder it in terms of efficiency.

DFSniper
10-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Can I get some unbiased balanced reviews about 18-20 inch barrels as well? I probably could use a little length to hold the shots a little more on course.

Myth #1.

after 14-16 inches, you actually lose accuracy.

Master Xavier
10-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks! I was leaning towards something about that length (14-16.) So now, for barrels. Any good links? I have a few links myself:

http://www.atafa.com/sports/products/Spyder-Mr-Mr-Mr-Recon-Rifled-Barrel-298725.html

http://www.amazon.com/Spyder-AERO-Sniper-Paintball-Barrel/dp/B001LQYXE6/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1254580365&sr=8-13

http://www.amazon.com/NEW-Spyder-Cyclone-Paintball-Barrel/dp/B0017PURB4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1254580661&sr=1-5

http://www.atafa.com/sports/products/Spyder-Mr-Inch-Diameter-Inch-Recon-Barrel-298541.html

I think I will go with the 16 inch, because even though it may be on the edge of impending your performance, seeing a long barrel before a battle can and will intimidate your opponent. Works with airsoft as well. :cool: It's a matter of playing to your enemies misinformed ideas, while still having the same performance capabilities as they do. :rolleyes:

DFSniper
10-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Myth #2: rifling doesnt work in paintball.

until youre ready to go out and buy a full-blown barrel kit, get yourself a nice J&J ceramic and call it a day ;)

Master Xavier
10-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I heard that one. Its a ball, not a bullet. I think I will go with the Kingman Brand 16 in.

DFSniper
10-03-2009, 10:15 AM
the aero? i guess it would look good if youre going milsim, but a J&J would be about $10 cheaper.

Paintball Freak
10-03-2009, 10:20 AM
There's no way you could go wrong with J&J, owned a 14 Inch barrel myself for my Spyder, it was exellent...

bigred76
10-03-2009, 12:35 PM
J&J Ceramic is the best cheapest barrel for a Spyder.

Rifling with a paintball is retarded... it's a liquid mass inside a gelatinous sphere, constantly shifting it's weight around.

As to your comment about fooling others... I roll with a Dragon Timmy (gloss red, black accents) and red/black Empire playing gear. I don't care what they say or anything, it doesn't matter. What matters is your playing ability on the field. Be careful to not compromise that with 15lbs of **** you don't really need on your marker like so many others.

Master Xavier
10-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Ha, yeah. Trust me. I used to deck myself out with Ammo. Heaviest thing ever. Its a balance between weight, comfort, protection, and heat. lol Especially in teh summer. Ok. So the J&J Spyder is compataible with teh MR1? Thanks!

rayray88
10-04-2009, 02:43 AM
Yes J&J will work with the MR1. I have a 14" ceramic and LOVE it!

DFSniper
10-04-2009, 08:31 AM
As to your comment about fooling others... I roll with a Dragon Timmy (gloss red, black accents) and red/black Empire playing gear. I don't care what they say or anything, it doesn't matter. What matters is your playing ability on the field. Be careful to not compromise that with 15lbs of **** you don't really need on your marker like so many others.

to each his own ;)

Spec_Ops_PB
10-04-2009, 11:41 AM
I agree with everyone recommending the J&J Ceramic barrels. I personally have the J&J 16 inch Ceramic barrel on my MR1, which is a little bit long I'll give you
that, but the barrel works magic for its price!

sonik
10-05-2009, 06:39 PM
I have heard very good things about Hammerhead barrels.. and they can be ordered with spyder threaded fins. I'm looking into getting one. Big Red is right, dense fluid (paint) in a fluid medium (air) equals turbulence therefore inconsistency... or as we say in the IT biz... garbage in, garbage out. I think rifling would work in a vacuum ... with no gravity.... and frozen paint.... and ....nevermind...

http://hammerheadpaintball.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=25

bigred76
10-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Paint don't freeze. There's additives in it now that simply makes the shell more brittle the colder it gets rather than freezing up and getting hard. Now, if you were to super-cool the balls with liquid nitrogen, it might work. A standard household freezer... no way in hell.

Hammerhead barrels are very good, BUT, a Ceramic is cheaper and does the same thing. The only other barrels I'd recommend are all made by CP (which, by the way, is pretty much every high-quality barrel on the market).

Master Xavier
10-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Can anyone tell me about this one:

http://www.pb4less.com/Barrels/Spyder/Paintball-CMI-Spyder-p7086094.html

Scratch the bit about 'quiet' and 'sniper.' It's paintball. But for the price it doesn't look too bad. Think I should go with it?

bigred76
10-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Price aint bad, CMI isn't a horrible brand, but for a bit more you can get a real nice barrel. Either a CP One-Piece or J&J Ceramic is what I'd be looking at. You don't want to buy a barrel then find out that it sucks, only to have to buy another. The two barrels I recommended are not the best on the market, but they are good enough to make it worth it for the price until you decide to move to another marker platform. This is one reason I don't sugest high-end barrels anymore is that Spyder threads are specific to Spyder and you can't use them on any other marker, as pretty much every other marker out there is Autococker (Cocker, A/C) threaded.