PDA

View Full Version : MR2 chopping

TenderVittles
03-16-2006, 04:24 PM
I bought an mr2 yesterday. I took it to a ravine and shot it and right away double fed every 5 balls or so. Eventually it started chopping. All the paint went into my barrel, bolt, and hopper. That was fun to clean. I read somewhere that if you get an intimidator detent that will work better, but i called paintball adventures because it was on their site, but they didnt have it. They said that kingman knows about the problem and they are getting new detents from them later in the week. does anyone know about this and will it fix my problem, also do i need an electric hopper if i shoot slowly? 1 last thing, i read that you should always play with the stock on because air could escape out the back if you dont, but the stock makes it impossible to aim, so will it affect my accuracy and range if i don't have it in?

Hob Hayward
03-16-2006, 04:57 PM
Is it cold there?

TenderVittles
03-16-2006, 05:35 PM
It was around 6-10 degrees C or about 45 F.

Hob Hayward
03-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Hmm, with the ACS, when it gets too cold it can cause major chopping problems. 45* sounds ok, but who knows.

Voodoo27909
03-16-2006, 10:04 PM
There are quite a few threads here in MR2, and also in MR1 that address the questions you are asking about. have a look around. Lots of good posts on the subject.

And Yes...you need an electronic hopper. I recommend one that isnt to fast (Stay around 13 to 15 balls a second...such as the Revy. Stay away from the high end expensive ones like the Halo, or EvoII, as these tend to feed balls past the detents in the MR2 (Kingman refuses to call them "Detents". They prefer to say "Ball stopper" because the paintballs are SUPPOSED to rest against the side of the firing chamber in the MR2....meaning the rubber detent is only meant to keep the ball from rolling forward when disturbed by movement of the rifle)

LAST: If you dont like the stock...feel free to take it off. Nothing bad will happen if you play without it. There is no air in that area of the marker, as it is behind the bolt.

DRAGON
03-17-2006, 12:47 AM
..........also do i need an electric hopper if i shoot slowly? 1 last thing, i read that you should always play with the stock on because air could escape out the back if you dont, but the stock makes it impossible to aim, so will it affect my accuracy and range if i don't have it in?

Having no e-hopper is most likely the majority of the chopping prob though the detents seem to be causing some concerns as well. There is no air to escape from the top tube so you don't need the stock on it -

TenderVittles
03-17-2006, 04:34 AM
Ok thanks alot for the responses, I was going to get a red dot scope first, but I guess I'll get the revvy. I was just asking because i had an icon e and i never needed an electric hopper because i didnt shoot that fast.

DRAGON
03-17-2006, 05:08 AM
If it has the ACS bolt, you might want to break that in as well -

TenderVittles
03-17-2006, 07:19 AM
how many balls should i shoot to break it in? I don't want to fire anymore until i get the new detent, because i had a hell of a time cleaning before.

DRAGON
03-17-2006, 09:22 AM
You don't use balls. You need to put a swab in the feedneck and shoot it about 500 times. This breaks in the spring in the bolt -

TenderVittles
03-17-2006, 01:51 PM
ok, you're sure that won't wreck the gun?

ooglieboogliebob
03-17-2006, 08:51 PM
nope, it won't break it .. it'll just loosen up the spring.. which is good :)

TenderVittles
03-18-2006, 06:49 AM
Ok, thanks. Ill probably do that later today.

TenderVittles
03-18-2006, 11:46 AM
i tried it and it blew all the q tips apart. is it supposed to do that?

Voodoo27909
03-21-2006, 08:13 AM
...Yeh, unfortunatly those swabs are kinda weak when it comes to abuse. Nailing it 500 times with a firing bolt prbly did hose it up pretty good, but that is the best way to break in the anti chop bolt. Just make certain that you take the bolt out now and get all of the fuzzy stuff out of it before it gets into somewhere that it isnt supposed to be, and blocks an air passage or something.

Hob Hayward
03-21-2006, 10:41 AM
You really don't need to shoot the gun to break it in... You can just sit down and press the spring in and out for a while say whuile watching a movie, or tv... (saves your co2 aswell!)

ooglieboogliebob
03-21-2006, 11:47 AM
eh .. i'd rather conserve my time on other things than sit on the couch for an hour compressing my spring .. i'd rather just use 2 20 ounces .. and a wooden dowel or pencil .. or something hard ... down the feedneck .. and take maybe 3-5 minutes

TenderVittles
03-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Ok i just wanted to make sure that was normal, i only shot it about 400-500 times because my c02 ran out. I asked earlier that will it screw up my aim if i didnt have the stock on. someone responded by saying air doesnt leak out the back, but when i shot the gun there was lots of air coming out the back.

Voodoo27909
03-21-2006, 01:43 PM
...are you sure that what you are feeling isnt just the air that the bolt puffs out by cycling backwards when it moves back to the cocked position?? It shouldnt be Co2. There really is no way for the gas to get back behind the bolt like that as long as everything is working right (...and we already know your MR is working right)

TenderVittles
03-21-2006, 01:48 PM
It could be, i dont know much about paintball guns. I dont know if it is supposed to be like this but when i look down the barrel (with no co2 or paintballs ofcourse), i can see light on the other side. i asked someone i know who plays and he said i dont think it should be like that.

Hob Hayward
03-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Yeah, seeing through is bad, as I've said a million times now probably, Delrin bolts and cold with co2=bad; delrin shrinks, air leaks out the back, you get weird turbulence, random chops in your barrel, I was having this problem with regular delrin bolts in my brothers Mongoose, bad tolerancing on the chamber width I suppose. See if you can borrow an aluminium bolt from somone, oil up the o-rings well, and try shooting it. You should get no air out the back at all. My brother is currently using my stock bolt because of this.

TenderVittles
03-22-2006, 10:05 AM
I don't know anyone with the same type of bolt as me, but im going to the store i bought it from either today or tomorrow for a new detent, i'll see if they can check that out too.

specter19
03-29-2006, 09:26 AM
i want a spyder MR2 for my birthday, but when i get it i need to replace the detents in it? and do i need an egg or will a gravity feed hopper work for a while when i first get the gun?

NextoN
03-30-2006, 06:22 AM
It will work with gravity hopper on semi auto on burst or so you will get a chop I think. I use an egg with my spyder detent I have never had a doublefeed. So just change to spyder detent. The bob long detent is a little to hard and it's hard with the balls as well so I'd stick with the "orginal" spyder black detents.

anubis19ak
03-30-2006, 07:00 AM
Ok, I know this is a newbie question and all, but what is an egg? I've seen it used multiple times in these forums, and I still have no idea what it means. Thanks!

NextoN
03-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Damn you are really a newbie hehe
An egg is a hopper that feeds the marker with 17ball per sec or more(23). It's an eletric hopper. It's called a egg because "it's an egg".

tex
03-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Piranha detents work well also. They are not as hard as the timmy's but they seem to last a longer.

silverball
04-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Hi guys, while im waiting for my timmy dentents, i put te Spyder Xtra detent in to my MR2... 800 balls in game...0 chops. :)

Mach1
04-06-2006, 04:57 AM
, but when i get it i need to replace the detents in it?

I haven't changed mine yet, and there is only 1 or 2 chops out of a 1000.

silverball
04-06-2006, 11:56 AM
I haven't changed mine yet, and there is only 1 or 2 chops out of a 1000.

Beacouse tou maybe have the correct detent

NextoN
04-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Take a flashlight or use the sun to see in you feedneck if you have a red or black detent if you have a red buy a new one.

TenderVittles
04-06-2006, 06:46 PM
Mine was yellow

NextoN
04-07-2006, 04:20 AM
Well yellow, red, orange it's the same "bad" detent get a new one. Contact Kingman and they send you a new one..

Mach1
04-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Beacouse tou maybe have the correct detent

Actually I didn't. I was playing with some of my friends last Sunday when all of a sudden paintballs were slipping into the barrel. I had a red detent.