PDA

View Full Version : A switch to 50 cal?

slim and shady
09-27-2009, 05:27 PM
What does SOC think about these rummers and possibly having to buy new markers ect. to match the change in the sport?

TheDarkShadow
09-27-2009, 05:36 PM
good thing it's a rumor. that would be a huge waste of time imo

fatkidfrompbaz
09-27-2009, 05:41 PM
It would be a waste of time because it would make everyone buy new gear but luckily its just a rumor

XSiv Force
09-27-2009, 06:32 PM
it is a known fact that companies will start making 50 cal paintballs and paintball guns example is gimilsim.....problem is it will not catch on in the short term. if they were to switch they need to make it a transition over several years.....Facefull had a very good write up on this subject and i agree with what they say but it will not happen any time soon

slim and shady
09-28-2009, 02:57 PM
I dont know about that, I thought the same thing. How could they just switch when there are so many products out there that are 68 and still more being designed and released. Talking with our corse owner he said the possibility is already being put through, procaps bought out a few companies (the only one I remember is Zap) and controle a huge portion of the market. they had a 3 year transition time, with conversion kits being a possibility for some existing markers. However, I cannot say that any of this is truth ect. im really not in the mood for having to buy more new markers. But I guess it will make paint 30-35% cheeper a case it wouldnt take long before them new markers were paid for and then some.

SundragonPPS
09-28-2009, 06:29 PM
So someone wants to try to reinstate what someone else failed at in the 80's? Interesting but sounds like a failtrain to me.

DFSniper
09-29-2009, 07:41 AM
you'd need better lenses too. because theyd require higher than 300fps to break effectively.

RSX99
09-29-2009, 11:48 AM
you'd need better lenses too. because theyd require higher than 300fps to break effectively.

This right here is the deal breaker.

slim and shady
09-29-2009, 06:51 PM
I was thinking there would be alot of issues with flight of the ball in general. Im not sure it would have the mass to be effective.

XSiv Force
09-29-2009, 07:03 PM
i think you need to o to the kingman frontpge of the website

www.spyder50.com

Muddytaco
09-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Its going to fail, not enough people/fields will be willing to dump there entire set of gear just make adjust to smaller paintballs.

fatkidfrompbaz
09-30-2009, 04:53 PM
i think were going to **** up our sport for some reason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LePFytcdYfw

rayray88
09-30-2009, 09:21 PM
I don't see why they'd even consider doing this. For the most part .43 cal paintball isn't doing too good right now and they're way more expensive than the regular .68s we all shoot. So i don't get why they would introduce a new size of paint :confused:

STRIKEFIRST
10-01-2009, 02:03 PM
OH Boy...This is nuts...this is going to turn into a joke...

slim and shady
10-01-2009, 03:49 PM
I don't see why they'd even consider doing this. For the most part .43 cal paintball isn't doing too good right now and they're way more expensive than the regular .68s we all shoot. So i don't get why they would introduce a new size of paint :confused:

The reasoning behind it as I understand it is to make paint cheeper for the players. Im still in doubt that this is going to happen, but you never know.

p8ntball
10-01-2009, 05:54 PM
It seems like it would make everything lighter; less air to push the balls out, smaller tanks etc... Remember, companies exist to make profit and if they feel this could somehow increase said profits, it will become reality. They know we will follow any market trends introduced by the industry because we all embrace the sport to the point of talking about all this stuff on forums like this one. I'll buy what I have to if it comes to that point; I just want some new freakin grips for my 09 Electra!!!!

rayray88
10-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Wasn't there a thread on here somewhere where someone came up with the idea of using higher grade field and charging more for less to also make it "better" for us? Why have they been thinking up bogus ideas lately?

Hob Hayward
10-05-2009, 01:30 PM
You know, I don't actually think this is so ridiculous. Why? Because kigman dominates the entry level market. Who buys entry level markers? New players who don't really know that much about what they're getting into. As long as they can get their hands on the paint, people will be buying those markers (they probably wouldn't think twice about it).

So why should this help make a change? Aftermarket companies are going to want tap the large market created by these players (after all who doesn't want more profit) and from there we're going to start seeing high end markers etc. etc. and the same aftermarket companies will have learned enough dev'ing parts for the low end to be able to support the high end.

This is not to say .68 cal is going anywhere. At least not in the next 10 years (if ever), I wouldn't worry too much. I'm just interested to see what happens. After all, whose against paying less to play? I would be psyched to pay 30% less for paint ($50 case becomes a $35 case), and be able to use lighter and smaller tanks and gear.

sonik
10-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Is Tippmann launching a .50 caliber paintball marker?

Tippmann's commitment to .68 Caliber Paintball Markers

Dear Tippmann Customers:

At the recent Paintball Extravaganza in Atlanta , both my staff and I were asked numerous times about Tippmann launching a .50 caliber paintball marker. I want to put an end to the rumors and speculation and assure you that Tippmann is 100% committed to .68 caliber paintball markers. A .50 caliber platform has been announced by a new company but there has been very little information provided on product features and pros & cons for the industry. As industry manufacturers, we should always be driving toward new product innovation and technology as it is the life blood of any consumer goods category. However, until we know more about the .50 caliber platform we remain focused on .68 caliber. Industry manufacturers we have talked to are also in the “wait and see” mode.

Tippmann had a great show in Atlanta as we showcased a number of newly launched .68 caliber products, including the TPX paintball Pistol, the U.S. Army Project Salvo marker and the newly redesigned SL-68 II pump action marker. Our investment in the engineering resources and tooling for these new products should be validation of our continued focus on the .68 caliber platform.

We will continue to support the fields and dealers that sell and market .68 caliber products. As we push the envelope on new marker technology, our goal is to develop markers that will provide better air efficiency, superior range and improved accuracy.

I hope this clears up any confusion, and as always, thank you for your support of Tippmann products. Should you have any questions, feel free to contact your Tippmann sales representative.

Sincerely,
Howard Kosick President and CEO Tippmann Sports

slim and shady
10-05-2009, 04:09 PM
interesting.

p8ntball
10-05-2009, 05:35 PM
The first paragraph by the Tippman rep. just reiterated what I said about market trends; "let's see what happens" means if this new upstart company starts to sell a crap load of .50 cal guns and paint guess who will jump on the proverbial band wagon(Tippman and everyone else). I don't care I'll buy what I have to. The more new and cool stuff the better right? I don't play for money!

p8ntball
10-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Sorry Howard I didn't mean to refer to you as a sales rep.

sonik
10-06-2009, 06:16 AM
meh, whatever... I was just passing along what I saw from Tippmann...(which is what I'm sure Shady's orig post was about) Spyder is launching a new 50 and it looks cool... MR2 with a gas-thru mag and G36 carrying handle. I'm intrigued... I've been around for a lot of changes in the industry, some good some bad.

My advice is to adapt to your environment... and change doesn't often happen over night no matter what the marketing guys tell you ....

druid
10-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Wasn't there a thread on here somewhere where someone came up with the idea of using higher grade field and charging more for less to also make it "better" for us? Why have they been thinking up bogus ideas lately?

Because it's like the Government - if they force it down our throats, if we want to play, we will have to buy it. That kicks up their production and profits.

Now that being said, how many .68 cal markers exist already? I'd pick a conservative number and say at LEAST 2 MILLION.

That means, those 2 MILLION markers now have to be replaced with one that can "chamber" [for the lack of a better term] the smaller paintball.

Every .68 cal marker....from BE to LUXE will either;
1. have to have some kind of 'chamber insert' installed to reduce the size
2. Barrel[s] in the new caliber
3. be completely redesigned to work with the new paint.

I smell a feeble attempt to spike company profits in this campaign........

p8ntball
10-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Try closer to two hundred million markers out there today.

Critical
10-06-2009, 06:13 PM
I'd like to hear Kingmans reasoning for getting behind 50 cal. Not from any particular hatred, but I find it odd how some companies are lining up.

slim and shady
10-06-2009, 07:20 PM
I personaly feel it will go through, I hope it doesnt but its profit. For the younger people getting into the game it will be alot easier and should promote the growth of the market. For those of us who were playing before paintball was even popular, there is a good chance you are going to get what you need to keep playing. Some companies (none were named to me) were talking about releasing adaption kits for pre existing markers.
Im not sure if this is the best time to be pulling this stunt though the way the economy is. I find it hard to beleive that they would turn away from 68 when it has bein the mainstay of the market forever. there are so many products ect out. But again that just means more money in there pocket when you have to buy new products! Either way I think it is a real possibility, guess all we can do is see how it plays out.

fatkidfrompbaz
10-07-2009, 07:10 PM
didnt see it up here, just thought id let you guys know.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3223367

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3225796

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3224790

slim and shady
10-07-2009, 08:43 PM
I'd like to hear Kingmans reasoning for getting behind 50 cal. Not from any particular hatred, but I find it odd how some companies are lining up.

Kingman Group
Date: October 5, 2009
Baldwin Park, CA USA

THE NEXT CHAPTER IN PAINTBALL

Kingman Group is set to release the most advanced, thrilling and eco-friendly .50 Caliber paintball line arriving the beginning of 2010. This unique Spyder .50 Cal. brand will feature a full line of paintball products that are operational on .50 Caliber size paintballs. The initial products released under Spyder .50 Cal. will consist of a Mil-Sim Rifle & Pistol, Competition Electronic & Semi-Auto Markers, a lightweight Goggle, Electronic Loader and Spyder .50 Caliber paintballs. The Spyder .50 Caliber Volume 1 Catalog will premier at the World Cup event this week in Orlando, FL.

Arthur Chang, Founder and CEO of Kingman Group states, "With the anticipated launch of this advanced Spyder .50 Cal. Brand, along with our Kingman Training .43 Caliber paintball line, and classic Spyder .68 Caliber line we can now offer paintball players and action sports enthusiasts a unique range of products to match the style and pace of their game. We have been relentless in establishing Kingman Group as the premier and all inclusive paintball source."

This all new reduced size Spyder .50 Caliber paintball creates a smaller ammunition which means greater accuracy and efficiency, less mess, less impact and less cost for the consumer. Look for more information in the coming weeks on this most advanced, thrilling and eco-friendly Spyder .50 Caliber paintball line. The next chapter in paintball is almost here. For more information stay tuned to www.spyder50.com.

TheDarkShadow
10-08-2009, 07:22 AM
interesting...

p8ntball
10-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Smaller, lighter, better accuracy, more shots per fill, cheaper paint. YES PLEASE!!!!!!!

TheDarkShadow
10-08-2009, 07:34 AM
having to convert everything, no thank you. smaller splatter, easier to wipe

druid
10-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Smaller,
AKA- harder to see
lighter,
AKA - harder to control [wind, twigs, etc]
better accuracy,
AKA - sez who? Them? Of course they are going to say that...they are looking to sell this crap [meaning hype] to the unlearned masses...
more shots per fill,
Quite possibly the ONLY benefit...but if you tune your marker or upgrade it properly...this is moot.
cheaper paint.
Again...sez who? The people that have the patent on it?
YES PLEASE!!!!!!!
Be careful for what you wish for...

I didn't change the font color because of all those whiners about me doing that. Instead, I used bold and point "3" to show my responses.... :D

now to elaborate on what I added above...

Smaller -Smaller paint is harder to see in flight...unless you ONLY throw out 13.3333 bps as your full time job [aka SLACKERS]. Smaller paint has less benefits than you realize. It leaves a smaller spot....possibly smaller than the TOURNEY RULE of a "quarter-sized" mark on a player, possibly necessitating a smaller diameter that eliminates the player. Go from the current "quarter" to possibly a "nickel" or worse..."a dime" sized mark. Not to mention that now EVERY marker EVER MADE will have to either be redesigned, re-breeched and barreled OR be rendered completely unusable. Way to waste the player's money. When everyone gets their ".50 cal" marker...who in their right mind is going to buy the old stuff that no one can shoot anymore? I'm not talking rare markers here...I'm talking EVERYDAY markers that are ALL over the PLANET.
Lighter - Again, the slightest breeze already affects accuracy. Being lighter only makes that worse. Also, having less mass encourages more bounces [at distance] unless the shell construction is altered. Say hellow to getting 'bunkered' more often. Now you want a THINNER and more fragile shell in markers with no eyes? Are you kidding me? Good by spyders, tippmanns, cockers and most every other pump regardless of caliber.
Better accuracy - Again, after so many years of being on this and other forums I say...if you want a tack driver, buy a firearm. Paintball is accurate to "X" generalism. Get used to it or move on to another hobby.
More shots per fill - Probably the ONLY real benefit I see...but then again, a blow back is still a blow back now isn't it? If Spyders were MacDevs, that would be one thing. Air efficiency though? If anyone thinks that a 20oz CO2 tank is going to go from ~1100 shots per fill to 2000 shots per fill, their smoking the good crap...
Cheaper - That would be at the discretion of the patent holder...and if everyone switches to .50 then they have the monopoly on the paint. They can charge WHATEVER they want. Give it a year at a decent price...bankrupt those who currently make the 68 Cal....then when the 50 is all that's left, they can jack that price up to what they want.

Like I said.....be careful what you wish for.

slim and shady
10-08-2009, 02:42 PM
I talked to our corse owner a bit more about this a few minutes ago. The paint by the sounds of it wouldnt be cheeper a box of paint but rather more balls to a box (excuses the pun :D) you would still end up saving as you get more but dont expect to be getting a box of 2000 for 30$ CDN.

I still am not sure this is gonna work, but I will still bet there going to push for it.

Paintball Freak
10-08-2009, 02:57 PM
This is by far... Thee worst idea ever... You aren't just simply changing the caliber of paint... Your changing EVERYTHING!

druid
10-08-2009, 04:10 PM
that's what everyone [with a brain] is saying.

p8ntball
10-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Hey I don't play for money! I just want to have fun playing and save a few bucks down the line. As far as having to buy new equipment; hell I buy new stuff all the time including a new gun maybe twice a year sometimes so it's not like OMG I have to buy new equipment for .50 cal. Come on we all buy new crap constantly it's not like your going to keep your primary marker for more than a few years anyway. Smaller and lighter would be a major benefit. I can bench press over 300 and I think the current crop of the lightest guns and equipment are retarded heavy to say the least. Think how small a Qloader could get or any loader for that matter and the guns......sweet!! If you play for money and don't like the idea so be it. If your a rec player this will be a major advancement in paintball. I'll try to buy the first gun.

fatkidfrompbaz
10-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Rec should be .50 and tourny at .68????

TheDarkShadow
10-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Hey I don't play for money! I just want to have fun playing and save a few bucks down the line. As far as having to buy new equipment; hell I buy new stuff all the time including a new gun maybe twice a year sometimes so it's not like OMG I have to buy new equipment for .50 cal. Come on we all buy new crap constantly it's not like your going to keep your primary marker for more than a few years anyway. Smaller and lighter would be a major benefit. I can bench press over 300 and I think the current crop of the lightest guns and equipment are retarded heavy to say the least. Think how small a Qloader could get or any loader for that matter and the guns......sweet!! If you play for money and don't like the idea so be it. If your a rec player this will be a major advancement in paintball. I'll try to buy the first gun.

not everybody buys new markers all the time. a lot of people keep their markers for a while. and when you want to sell that .68 marker to get a .50 marker, your ego or whatever you have won't be worth crap, then you're out $1000

slim and shady
10-08-2009, 08:06 PM
This thread wasnt made to flame eachother if you feel you need to do that you know where to go. It's one thing to have a dissagrement but dont take it to a personal level. State your opinion respect others opinion and move on.

I like the idea about it being cheeper but I feel there are far to many problems with it that in the long run people just wont be satisfied. But im assuming that 50 cal is coming one way or the next if companies are already putting out product lines for it.

p8ntball
10-08-2009, 08:12 PM
If your paying $1000 for a marker you better be making money playing paintball! If not, that's why you can't buy a new marker very often. If there is a complete transition to .50 cal it will take 5 to 10 years to happen I would think and there will always be a .68 cal aspect to the sport. You will always be able to buy paint, guns, markers etc. on ebay or the web just look at all the stuff on there now that's 5 or 10 years old. .68 cal is not going anywhere. Maybe I've just been playing too long and I crave something new to the sport or I am a complete retard because it seems like I am the only on that is looking foreword to .50 cal. I guess I just don't see many drawbacks.

druid
10-08-2009, 10:39 PM
If your paying $1000 for a marker you better be making money playing paintball!
Sez who? Why can't say - HDH - spend 2300 bucks on a marker, just for the enjoyment of using it? It's his money after all...who are WE to dictate who buys what and for why?
If not, that's why you can't buy a new marker very often.
You don't know that and I find it quite insulting actually. How presumtious of you to thing that everyone lives in squallor...or in the richie rich compound. Quite frankly, it's none of your flipping business who spends what on what and when.
If there is a complete transition to .50 cal it will take 5 to 10 years to happen
Quite frankly, most of us hope it dyes a horrible, flaming death - and quickly - like the one I hope for that MORONIC First strike round...
I would think and there will always be a .68 cal aspect to the sport. You will always be able to buy paint, guns, markers etc.
ORLY?? Why don';t you write to AKA and ask them to send you a new Viking...or ICD for spare parts?
on ebay or the web just look at all the stuff on there now that's 5 or 10 years old. .68 cal is not going anywhere. Maybe I've just been playing too long and I crave something new to the sport or I am a complete retard because it seems like I am the only on that is looking foreword to .50 cal. I guess I just don't see many drawbacks.

Oh...I don't know...are you? I hope you aren't...but only you can really answer that. I've been playing since 1986, some longer, quite a few less...what is so 'mundane' about paintball that you feel this "crave".......?

Perhaps you can shed some light on a few things for us...

1. Given the state of the current economy...do you think it's a wise business practice to RE-introduce womething 'SO new and radical' [this is actually an old concept being revisited], that failed MISERABLY in the past?
2. Given the reasons I myself have stated in an earlier post, do you NOT see business GREED licking at the .50 cal heels?? Let's face it...companies aren't making the money they thought they would. Why? Because we, the senior players, sell off our excess/old gear to new players. Companies don't collect that money, we do. We might spend it on something new...maybe not. So how does a company MAKE SURE they collect EVERYONE'S money? By doing crap like this. Once a .68 cal is obsolete...they've won.
3. Who in their right mind is going to "surf around the web" for 5-10 year old markers, their parts and supplies that are no longer available or even made? And then what ****ing moron is going to find...let alone SHOOT 5-10 year old PAINT........IF it's even available?
4. If the .50 cal was so great...why didn't they settle on it BEFORE? I mean...it WAS there, just like .62 and .43 was......and where can you still get .62 cal paint? .50 cal [before this re-introduction]? How many public fields actuall provide .43 cal paint today? If it was so great...it would have stayed the FIRST time.

I think it's clear that you really haven't put a whole lot of though into this. I beg you to sit down and weigh what we say. Stop falling prey to the "zomg! n3\/\/ 5tuFF!!!oneone111" jitters and logically think about it.

All I see is that companies are looking to make money by making 68 cal markers obsolete. The .50 cal was a MISERABLE failure in the past.

sonik
10-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Druid, I actually laughed coffee out my nose... you owe me a new keyboard. :D

Stop falling prey to the "zomg! n3\/\/ 5tuFF!!!oneone111" jitters and logically think about it.

My opinion is one of wait and see, I have seen many changes in the industry, most of them moving towards more paint being used... I don't expect to see any .50cal on the local fields for quite some time, if at all...

Peace,
sonik

RSX99
10-09-2009, 05:00 AM
I can bench press over 300 and I think the current crop of the lightest guns and equipment are retarded heavy to say the least.

Not flaming you but there's something wrong here. I'd check those plates your tossing on the bar lol. My PM8 is unbelievably light and I'm sure there are other higher end markers that are lighter.

p8ntball
10-09-2009, 05:58 AM
.50 cal=awesome!

sonik
10-09-2009, 06:24 AM
Another troll already?

p8ntball
10-09-2009, 06:59 AM
I have a fever...and the only cure is more .50 cal.

druid
10-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Be careful...sometimes the "cure" can kill the patient.

p8ntball
10-09-2009, 10:01 AM
roses are red
violets are blue
I can hardly wait
for the .50 cal debut

druid
10-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Hrm...nursery rhymes.....appropriate I guess?

bigred76
10-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Feverish retard... never thought I'd see one here since Doug left.

There's a whole .50 Cal forum on PBN. Go troll there, since logical and intelligent users of these forums would like to hear logical and intellgent reasons and information behind this .50 cal trend, not nursery rhymes or gibberish.

Also, I lol'd at you defending others for dropping money on a gun when we all know how you feel about your Ions (*cough* Clone *cough*).

p8ntball
10-09-2009, 02:51 PM
.68=nub

bigred76
10-09-2009, 03:18 PM
A nub? Really? Wow, you can't even spell "noob." That's shameful, really...

Now, would you please leave your ignorance at the door?

p8ntball
10-09-2009, 03:36 PM
"NOOB"=bigred76

bigred76
10-09-2009, 03:49 PM
That's smart, insult a veteran of this forum for advising you to stop being stupid. Good job. Your opinion has now been branded null, and noone will ever accept your replies again as legitimate, intelligent posts. :applause: