View Full Version : Ever have an issue getting a CO2 bottle seated?

09-21-2009, 12:42 PM
I just bought a second CO2 bottle and got it filled this weekend. By default I grabbed my "old" bottle to use first when testing. After tinkering and tweaking I thought I would putter with the adjustable ASA to find the best balance point so I figured I would use the new full bottle for a better idea of how it would handle on the field.

I screwed the bottle in, and turned on the gas and...nothing...

I tried with the other bottle a few times and it worked fine each time, but for some reason I can't get the gun to gas up on the new bottle...Everything is identical on the valves on all visual comparisons, I may try to "mike" them and see if there is any minute differences, but I will like if it were that big a difference, it would be fairly obvious in one way or the other...

They apparently had no issues filling the bottle (my wife got it done for me while I was working) and it was definitely empty when I got it and it had definitely been filled now, just not getting anything out of it...

Both bottle are Pure Energy 20oz bottles.

Any suggestions or insights would be great ;-)

09-21-2009, 01:08 PM
I would try manually pushing the pin valve down just to make sure it does work. Or do you have another ASA to test with?

09-21-2009, 04:04 PM
So I can home and gave it some more inspection since I didn't have time to do a real thorough check...I tried screwing the bottle into my back up/loaner marker, an '08 WGP Worr Machine, and nothing.

I unscrewed the bottle and went in to get the other bottle for a side by side comparison. The old bottle when I depressed the pin using the cap gave a big blast as would be expected, the new bottle however only gave a brief puff when I hit the right spot during the valves travel. I found the spot and held it for a bit letting the CO2 pass out. After a bit it began spitting out little chips of CO2. After this continued for 30 seconds or so there was suddenly a big increase and it acted more like the known good tank. I screwed it in to the WGP marker and it worked fine. So I was thinking that perhaps it had just been overfilled or something given that in a vertical position it was spitting chips and that the more I let out the better the flow got.

I screwed it into the MR-1 with the ANS ASA and it gassed the gun up to ~280psi so I assumed I was good to go. However as soon as I pulled the trigger the pressure dropped and it acted as though I had turned the gas off. Thinking it was the marker I took it off and put it back on the WGP, but still was getting nothing out of the tank.

I took it off and fiddled with it a bit by depressing the valve and holding it down to let gas escape for a bit. Screwed it back into the WGP and it was working fine for the remainder of the testing. I did not remove it from the WGP to test it on the MR-1. I figured why mess with it since I had another bottle that was working fine on the MR-1.

So I thought I had it figured out as overfilled, but now I am not so sure...