PDA

View Full Version : Calling anyone who has ever driven a car

TheRedBarron
08-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Paintball in a DC sports ad? haha okay so not really but damn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ7R_buZPSo

if anyone can run this course, ever and get it on tape, I will pay for your college

marvin-martian
08-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Ken Block is an amazing driver. It just isnt fair...

Modded-Like-Hell
08-24-2009, 10:43 PM
rwd scooby? lol........ gymkhana circuit is freakin awesome...

my yellow-top turbo motor in my garage is screaming to run.... i hate to see it sitting on a stand

RSX99
08-24-2009, 11:41 PM
That is most sick. He has some amazing driving skill.

DFSniper
08-25-2009, 05:18 AM
i love this video :D

marvin-martian
08-25-2009, 06:47 AM
The first video is alot better imo. Better driving, editing, stunts etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkNzkutTiGs&feature=fvw

DFSniper
08-25-2009, 06:58 AM
if you look at the camera placement, it wasnt filmed in one consecutive run :(

i love this spoof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh6HzUZuvPs

marvin-martian
08-25-2009, 07:01 AM
if you look at the camera placement, it wasnt filmed in one consecutive run :(

i love this spoof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh6HzUZuvPs

they went through 4 sets of tires during the video

oldironmudder
08-25-2009, 07:23 AM
if anyone can run this course, ever and get it on tape, I will pay for your college

First thing, does it have to be an import? What about a Ford truck?

Second, does it have to be on pavement? I learned how to drive on turnrows (dirt roads between fields).

Lastly, is all the drifting necessary?

shunut
08-25-2009, 07:41 AM
I could run that course no problem

:dodgy:

TheRedBarron
08-25-2009, 07:59 AM

Second, does it have to be on pavement? I learned how to drive on turnrows (dirt roads between fields).

If you can run that course on dirt, in a ford pickup truck at speed without dying... sure.

Ace24
08-25-2009, 09:28 AM

I hate seeing posts like this.

First, no. Mustang can do the exact same thing and does driven by a Japanese drift artist. Forgot his name but he drives a new Mustang, is sponsored by Toyo Tires and has long hair. Your truck would tip over trying to do this stuff, not to mention the weight would screw it's balance up and you would have to get moving much faster then that to get into a 4 wheel drift.

Second, no it doesn't. Subaru's are rally cars. Hence the ability to drive on dirt, snow, pavement and what ever else gets thrown at them.

Third. I don't know if you understand how drifting came to be. 4 wheel drift and not power slide was "invented" by a Japanese guy who was sick of just winning races. He wanted a new level of challenge to the race and decided to see what his car could do. He drifted around every corner of a circuit race and came in first. Thus drift was born.

Drift is not "necessary" but if you know how to properly balance your car, weight shift, and aren't afraid of getting cm's away from guard rails, it's a faster way to get around a corner. Why brake and slow down when you can use the cars momentum to carry it through the corner faster?

I have always wanted to get into drift. This guy is pretty amazing. The paintball scene was a little corny though. They could have done something more interesting then that.

Hoppy11
08-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Ace he wasn't trying to bash the video. He was just trying to get the free ride by changing the rules alittle bit...

And I can do it all. Easily. At 5mph....

battlechaser
08-25-2009, 11:54 AM
I hate seeing posts like this.

First, no. Mustang can do the exact same thing and does driven by a Japanese drift artist. Forgot his name but he drives a new Mustang, is sponsored by Toyo Tires and has long hair. Your truck would tip over trying to do this stuff, not to mention the weight would screw it's balance up and you would have to get moving much faster then that to get into a 4 wheel drift.

Second, no it doesn't. Subaru's are rally cars. Hence the ability to drive on dirt, snow, pavement and what ever else gets thrown at them.

Third. I don't know if you understand how drifting came to be. 4 wheel drift and not power slide was "invented" by a Japanese guy who was sick of just winning races. He wanted a new level of challenge to the race and decided to see what his car could do. He drifted around every corner of a circuit race and came in first. Thus drift was born.

Drift is not "necessary" but if you know how to properly balance your car, weight shift, and aren't afraid of getting cm's away from guard rails, it's a faster way to get around a corner. Why brake and slow down when you can use the cars momentum to carry it through the corner faster?

I have always wanted to get into drift. This guy is pretty amazing. The paintball scene was a little corny though. They could have done something more interesting then that.

First off... pretty much anything can be drifted, and the truck wouldn't necessarily tip over as my friend used to do it in his 88 Bronco II (there's a tippy POS for you.. :p) it's VERY hard to do using something with a high center of gravity like that, but it can be done. So there solves the whole Import vs anything else thing as well. Believe it or not, you can also use a FWD, it's just much, much harder, and you tend to wear out your rear brakes quicker from initiating the drift, as alot of the time you have to ass drag before the car will really break loose. Your best bet for drifiting though is something with a low center of gravity and good torque numbers at high RPMs, as I mentioned you can try using FWD, but it's better suited to AWD or RWD. RWD is the most common you'll see out there, most teams don't bother with anything else, and on top of that, most AWD cars in it have been modified to RWD. You'll want something with high torque at high RPMs because if you see most of these guys doing it, they're pretty much riding the rev limiter when they downshift into the corner.

And I believe the guy you were talking about was Keiichi Tsuchiya aka the Drift King. He actually put out a how to video a while back called the Drift Bible, GREAT vid, he's actually in The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift as well, he's the guy smoking and fishing on the pier when they're training in the Evo.

Sorry for the novel, I really miss owning a RWD sports car. Maybe when I have the cash/time/money I'll buy another Datsun... Or maybe an AE86.. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzlrQHJYedk - Drift Bible Part one... of many...(it's like 1.5 hours if I remember correct)

police_brutality
08-25-2009, 12:06 PM
right first off its awd, and in the start he has 2 step or launch control (it has a huge turbo it has lag)
second in gymkhana the drive wants to get around the course has fast has possible, sometimes drifting is the fastest
and the paintball thing was interesting
and last but not least mister block can drive

oldironmudder
08-25-2009, 01:20 PM
First of all I was joking. No mustang, a truck, as in regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive. Quick revving mid to top end motor, manual shifting auto & 3.70-4.10 geared rearend. I really think it would be possible to do rather easily in a field if it were big enough. 4 wheel drift? Can easily be done on dirt. Yes trucks are lighter in the rear but if you know how to drive them & work the motor & gears you shouldnt have a problem driving. I have spent countless hours behind the wheel on dirt at high speed in both 2& 4 wheel trucks.

TRB, I could do without the trip to college. If you paid to set it up I would be glad to give it a whirl.

Critical
08-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Mustang can do the exact same thing and does driven by a Japanese drift artist.

You're not talking about the Drift Alliance mustang are you? The green and blue one driven by Vaghn Gitten?

DFSniper
08-25-2009, 02:43 PM
yeah, i think he means the Falken one. but thats driven by an american IIRC.

paintballkid0206
08-25-2009, 03:32 PM
i hate not being able to see vids on youtube...

xsvly-fat
08-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Psh I could do that in my S10 :dodgy:

marvin-martian
08-25-2009, 06:46 PM
TRB, I could do without the trip to college. If you paid to set it up I would be glad to give it a whirl.

YES!! Please do this.

DFSniper
08-25-2009, 07:04 PM
hmm, matt, this could be your next business endeavor. instead of a racetrack or dragstrip, start a public rally course!

marvin-martian
08-25-2009, 07:10 PM
SOC race meet?

Ace24
08-25-2009, 11:39 PM
First off... pretty much anything can be drifted, and the truck wouldn't necessarily tip over as my friend used to do it in his 88 Bronco II (there's a tippy POS for you.. :p) it's VERY hard to do using something with a high center of gravity like that, but it can be done. So there solves the whole Import vs anything else thing as well. Believe it or not, you can also use a FWD, it's just much, much harder, and you tend to wear out your rear brakes quicker from initiating the drift, as alot of the time you have to ass drag before the car will really break loose. Your best bet for drifiting though is something with a low center of gravity and good torque numbers at high RPMs, as I mentioned you can try using FWD, but it's better suited to AWD or RWD. RWD is the most common you'll see out there, most teams don't bother with anything else, and on top of that, most AWD cars in it have been modified to RWD. You'll want something with high torque at high RPMs because if you see most of these guys doing it, they're pretty much riding the rev limiter when they downshift into the corner.

And I believe the guy you were talking about was Keiichi Tsuchiya aka the Drift King. He actually put out a how to video a while back called the Drift Bible, GREAT vid, he's actually in The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift as well, he's the guy smoking and fishing on the pier when they're training in the Evo.

Sorry for the novel, I really miss owning a RWD sports car. Maybe when I have the cash/time/money I'll buy another Datsun... Or maybe an AE86.. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzlrQHJYedk - Drift Bible Part one... of many...(it's like 1.5 hours if I remember correct)
You're preaching to the choir. Haha.

I'd love to have a 240SX, 240/300/370Z or a AE86. Hell even a RWD Miata.

Ace24
08-25-2009, 11:43 PM
First of all I was joking. No mustang, a truck, as in regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive. Quick revving mid to top end motor, manual shifting auto & 3.70-4.10 geared rearend. I really think it would be possible to do rather easily in a field if it were big enough. 4 wheel drift? Can easily be done on dirt. Yes trucks are lighter in the rear but if you know how to drive them & work the motor & gears you shouldnt have a problem driving. I have spent countless hours behind the wheel on dirt at high speed in both 2& 4 wheel trucks.

You can't drift in an auto... Your car will shift and the tires will grip, not spin like they need to.

You're not talking about the Drift Alliance mustang are you? The green and blue one driven by Vaghn Gitten?
White and blue. Japanese guy drives it.
yeah, i think he means the Falken one. but thats driven by an american IIRC.
Toyo one.

battlechaser
08-26-2009, 03:34 AM
You're preaching to the choir. Haha.

I'd love to have a 240SX, 240/300/370Z or a AE86. Hell even a RWD Miata.

AMEN! :P

I loved my 1980 280zx, it was the epitome of the starter drift car, beat up, **** suspension, but ran ok. It was really fun to drive because you're sitting on the rear axle, so you can feel every little weight shift. But sadly, this was also my first car, and the insurance killed it for me. (Bought the car for $2500, paid $4500 in insurance for the first year). Since then I've been driving fwds, probably get a truck before I get another sports car.. :(

oldironmudder
08-26-2009, 06:03 AM

You can't drift in an auto... Your car will shift and the tires will grip, not spin like they need to.

How could an auto trans shift, either up or down, with a manual valve body? It is basically a manual trans with a fluid coupling.

Page found here (http://www.tciauto.com/Products/ValveBody/FullManual/default.asp)
Our competition valve body for maximum performance and quick elapsed times in a racing application. By controlling the valve body only through manual means we can produce quicker shift timing and are able to run higher line pressures than possible with an automatic shift transmission. Higher line pressure makes it harder for clutches to slip under high loads. Remember, with a full manual you will have to make every shift, for these units do not shift on their own. A great choice for bracket cars, monster trucks, and virtually any off-road competition vehicle where a Trans-Brake is either not legal or not desired.

After rereading my other post, what i said could be very easily misunderstood. I meant a full manual valve bodied automatic transmission.

RSX99
08-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Don't like the 350z Ace?

battlechaser
08-26-2009, 02:05 PM
How could an auto trans shift, either up or down, with a manual valve body? It is basically a manual trans with a fluid coupling.

After rereading my other post, what i said could be very easily misunderstood. I meant a full manual valve bodied automatic transmission.

You'd probably be far better off using a manual, you use the clutch a lot while drifting. Mainly for straightening the car back out, you pretty much just hit the clutch so the front an rear wheels equalize in traction. Don't get me wrong, you can do it with an auto, again, it's just a little harder as you have to steer out of every drift.

Remember, drifting isn't just mashing the gas into a corner, that's only one type (Power Over). The dynamic drifting later on in the Drift Bible shows you how to accomplish it different ways, in Mudder's case he'd be using the Feint technique alot (arguably the most fun, as you don't have to play around with heel+toe braking and acceleration/shifting as much).

Don't like the 350z Ace?

I'd agree with him, the newer ones have very limited legroom. When driving a 350, my head is touching the roof while I'm slouching, my left leg is pinned between the door and the steering wheel, and my right is caught between the wheel and the center console. It might be a little different in the hard tops, but I hated the soft top I drove. Don't know if they changed it for the 370, but personally, I'll stick with the older models, aka 96 and below. If you're under like 5'5" the 350 would be fine.. :p

TheDarkShadow
08-26-2009, 03:07 PM
holy dog **** batman

Ace24
08-26-2009, 05:08 PM
I'd agree with him, the newer ones have very limited legroom. When driving a 350, my head is touching the roof while I'm slouching, my left leg is pinned between the door and the steering wheel, and my right is caught between the wheel and the center console. It might be a little different in the hard tops, but I hated the soft top I drove. Don't know if they changed it for the 370, but personally, I'll stick with the older models, aka 96 and below. If you're under like 5'5" the 350 would be fine.. :p

The 370 has more power, better looks (looks more like the origional) and more interior room. It is also wider and has a better tranny. Even the auto 370's are sick with the computer they have. It shifts faster then any human could ever do and with the manual, it aids you in shifting RPM matching.

Battle, the soft top 350 looks like a dildo. It is also a chick car. That's why you couldn't fit your head in it hahaha.

2009 Nissan 370Z Base Coupe Performance & Efficiency Standard Features
-
3,696 cc 3.7 liters V 6 front engine with 95.5 mm bore, 86.0 mm stroke, 11.0 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder VQ37VHR
-
Premium unleaded fuel 91
-
Multi-point injection fuel system
-
19.0 gallon main premium unleaded fuel tank 15.8
-
Power: 248 kW , 332 HP SAE @ 7,000 rpm; 270 ft lb , 366 Nm @ 5,200 rpm

================================================== ======

Nissan 350Z

3,498 cc 3.5 liters 6 V front engine with 95.5 mm bore, 81.4 mm stroke, 10.3 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder VQ35DE

-
Premium unleaded fuel

-
Fuel economy EPA highway (l/100km): 9

-
Multi-point injection fuel system

-
Main 76 liter premium unleaded fuel tank

-
Power: SAE and 214 kW , 287 HP @ 6,200 rpm; 274 ft lb , 371 Nm @ 4,800 rpm

That right there is why I want the 370 over the 350.

battlechaser
08-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Battle, the soft top 350 looks like a dildo. It is also a chick car. That's why you couldn't fit your head in it hahaha.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I don't even like the 350 hard tops. IMO they should've kept with the styling of the 300ZX twin turbo, those cars were sex. Especially with the Stillen front bumper.. *drool*

RSX99
08-26-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm probably going to pick up a used 350z and make it a project car. The new 370s are nice, but I still love the styling of the 350.

Ace24
08-27-2009, 10:20 AM
The 350z is ugly IMO. You'd have to set it up with a whole new body kit, lights and a lip spoiler for me to even look at it. They made it look like a Audi.

The nice thing is that now that the 370's are out, the 50's are way cheaper. I've seen so many more on the road these days.

dizzy
08-27-2009, 10:46 AM

White and blue. Japanese guy drives it.

Toyo one.

Ken Gushi?

Ace24
08-27-2009, 10:50 AM
YEAH! Ken Gushi! I couldn't remember haha.

http://mustanglife.tenmagazines.com/articleImages/29136_t.jpg

http://www.drift-connection.com/profiles/ken-gushi.jpg

Dude is amazing.

I was going to learn to drift in this:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/TeddyBearFuzz/Cars/TedsPhotos306.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/TeddyBearFuzz/Cars/TedsPhotos305.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/TeddyBearFuzz/Cars/TedsPhotos308.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/TeddyBearFuzz/Cars/TedsPhotos309.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/TeddyBearFuzz/Cars/TedsPhotos310.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/TeddyBearFuzz/Cars/TedsPhotos311.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/TeddyBearFuzz/Cars/TedsPhotos312.jpg

But then my uncle sold it. Hopefully I can get it back from the guy he sold it to. The 1987 Mitsubishi Starion TSi is not only rare, it's a legendary rally car. I love the wide body, wide tires, 5 speed and RWD of this car. Drove it once and fell in love.

DFSniper
08-27-2009, 12:09 PM
starion! i <3 old mitsus for some reason. i dont like anything newer than 03 except the evo x.

Ace24
08-27-2009, 12:57 PM
That's because the old TSi Mitsubishi's were amazing. I'd take a Starion TSi, DSM TSi or 3000GT over most cars today.