PDA

View Full Version : Low-Xpectations Practice

bigred76
07-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Low-X is the local field's team, and plays Div3 Race 2 5-man (PSP). They're currently in 4th overall, and practice against the locals every Sunday. It's great to watch, and I brought the camera out to snap a few of them. Quite an amazing format to watch in person.

http://www.bigredphotography.net/photos/602866438_RggWK-L-1.jpg

http://www.bigredphotography.net/photos/602868144_jLB8a-L-1.jpg
^I'm not sure if Aaron (red/yellow sweater) was constipated or what, he held that position for a minute or so.

http://www.bigredphotography.net/photos/602869420_BN9yD-L-1.jpg

http://www.bigredphotography.net/photos/602871706_aNGm9-L-1.jpg
^This one was straight vertically, to give you a hint how fast he was running.

http://www.bigredphotography.net/photos/602873978_j4p3S-L-1.jpg

http://www.bigredphotography.net/photos/602874756_2NGg8-L-1.jpg

http://www.bigredphotography.net/photos/602883137_zV5dX-L-1.jpg

http://www.bigredphotography.net/photos/602889609_BBAyE-L-1.jpg

http://www.bigredphotography.net/photos/602890307_Mruju-L-1.jpg

http://www.bigredphotography.net/photos/602897188_vRSgG-L-1.jpg

Just a few selections from the gallery located here: http://www.bigredphotography.net/gallery/9056773_YFFQf
I request that if you find a bad one, please PM me with the number under the preview on the right so I can fix it. I'm really tired and really out of it, so I apologize if you find one like that.

DFSniper
07-27-2009, 02:01 PM
im digging the new watermark, but i'd scrunch the words together.

also, is that a new rotor i spy in pic 3? the bright glossy red ones? or is it just the picture?

bigred76
07-27-2009, 02:46 PM
That's the sun shining on the lid. It was bright and sunny, 102*. Dust markers were shining it was so bright.

I threw the watermark together in about 3min, and am going to revise it soon as I like how it turned out with that font.

PWNDuAgain
07-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Wow looks like every other photographer taking paintball pictures. Why did you post that?

battlechaser
07-29-2009, 09:32 AM
Dude, as your mother might've put it, if you don't have anything nice to say...

xsvly-fat
07-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Wow looks like every other photographer taking paintball pictures. Why did you post that?

You're dumb. Have you ever tried photography? It's alot more then just pushing a button.

Very good pictures I really like the 3rd to last picture

PWNDuAgain
07-29-2009, 10:02 AM
You're dumb. Have you ever tried photography? It's alot more then just pushing a button.

As a matter of fact, I have..and it's not difficult at all.

I can take better pictures with my Kodak than this kid can with his Nikons.

battlechaser
07-29-2009, 10:05 AM

It's actually a Canon. Tim does a very good job with what he has, and has actually managed to find a hobby he can make into a career. What have you done with your Kodak?

bigred76
07-29-2009, 11:45 AM
1.) I make money, real money, from this.

2.) I run a business.

3.) **** Nikons (<3 you Dre and Leed, you will find the true path to enlightenment hopefully)

4.) My equipment is quite expensive for a reason, if you think you can do better, prove it. I am also in the process of getting more equipment to take better ones.

5.) My clients are so happy with my work, one is currently having me PS one into a tattoo for him.

6.) Without Googling them, can you tell me what ISO, aperture, and shutter are? Without knowing those, there is no way you can take pictures like I do.

7.) It's actually a compliment to say that my photography is like others, because that means that I'm on the same level as Gary Baum, one of the top photographers I look up to. Thank you for unknowingly complimenting my work. Dumbass.

bigred76
07-29-2009, 11:52 AM

I like that one too. I wish the side coach hadn't been right there in the second to last one, but I sure as hell wasn't stepping into a lane to take it.

DFSniper
07-29-2009, 12:11 PM

who are you calling a kid? im pretty sure almost everyone you're bashing is older than you, kid!

by your posts, im going to guess you're somewhere between 14-16.

Paintball Freak
07-29-2009, 01:01 PM

Watch it kid, I happen to be a pretty big fan of Big Red Photography!! :D

Nice pictures man, I would have to agree with the rest of you guys and say that the third to last is by far my favorite, and is now officially set as my desktop back-round! = )

xsvly-fat
07-29-2009, 01:26 PM
I like that one too. I wish the side coach hadn't been right there in the second to last one, but I sure as hell wasn't stepping into a lane to take it.

Yeah I see what you're talking about. That would have been a very good picture if he wasn't in it but it still is good.
who are you calling a kid? im pretty sure almost everyone you're bashing is older than you, kid!

by your posts, im going to guess you're somewhere between 14-16.

I'm 16... Haha.

bigred76
07-29-2009, 01:42 PM
Let's see... I'm 20 and own my own business... I think I'm doing pretty good. :)

Yeah, it's much better than some GWC (Guy With Camera) took the last time of that guy when he was out there, but it's still "meh."

The real funny part is that the dude in both the third to last and last dive shots thinks that I didn't get any of him. :)

twiztidjuggalo
07-29-2009, 01:55 PM
great pics red. your work is quite good

RSX99
07-29-2009, 03:41 PM
1.) I make money. Real money from this.

2.) I run a business.

3.) **** Nikons (<3 you Dre and Leed, you will find the true path to enlightenment hopefully)

4.) My equipment is quite expensive for a reason, if you think you can do better, prove it. I am also in the process of getting more equipment to take better ones.

5.) My clients are so happy with my work, one is currently having me PS one into a tattoo for him.

6.) Without Googling them, can you tell me what ISO, aperture, and shutter are? Without knowing those, there is no way you can take pictures like I do.

7.) It's actually a compliment to say that my photography is like others, because that means that I'm on the same level as Gary Baum, one of the top photographers I look up to. Thank you for unknowingly complimenting my work. Dumbass.

/pwned

Priceless Red, just priceless.

battlechaser
07-29-2009, 04:35 PM
/pwned

lol, that guy's been burned like 4-5 times today for crap like that.

timmyshoota
07-29-2009, 04:38 PM

Someone ban this douche. I don't approve of his douchebaggery.

PWNDuAgain
07-29-2009, 04:43 PM
If you were a halfway decent photographer, you wouldn't need new stuff. You'd be able to take pics with your current stuff.

You suck, kid.

Also, Nikon > *.

timmyshoota
07-29-2009, 05:01 PM
If you were a halfway decent photographer, you wouldn't need new stuff. You'd be able to take pics with your current stuff.

You suck, kid.

Also, Nikon > *.

What a ******. These newfags need to get on my level.

bigred76
07-29-2009, 05:13 PM
great pics red. your work is quite good
Thanks! You should come around here more often. :)
/pwned

:bow:

I <3 Chris.

buffblackbird2002
07-29-2009, 06:12 PM
i second that vote, ban ban ban. RED...awesome pics. If i had the money, i would fly you to SD on the 19th of August to take pics at my wife's paintball b-day party. take some of me going one on one with her. once again, great pictures and keep up the good work.

bigred76
07-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks BBB, but I'd have to turn it down anyways... already booked that weekend. :D

timmyshoota
07-29-2009, 08:10 PM
i second that vote, ban ban ban. RED...awesome pics. If i had the money, i would fly you to SD on the 19th of August to take pics at my wife's paintball b-day party. take some of me going one on one with her. once again, great pictures and keep up the good work.

Yeah, and take pics of me going one on one with his sister. :up:

xsvly-fat
07-30-2009, 12:29 AM

I laughed...

Muddytaco
07-30-2009, 11:07 AM

Finally somebody speaks up and tells the truth, about time somebody put Tim in his place!

:bird::bird::bird::bird::bird::bird::bird::bird:

PWNDuAgain got a :nutkick:

Ace24
07-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Awesome stuff! One of those slide shots should be in a magazine. I'd honestly submit your stuff to a mag and see if you can get hired on.

buffblackbird2002
07-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Yeah, and take pics of me going one on one with his sister. :up:

hey be nice!!!! although he would probably get some good pictures of her whoopin you arse with her Icon X!!!

keep up the good work RED.

so whos gonna innitiate a poll to get rid of the flamer in here?

DFSniper
07-30-2009, 04:00 PM
hes already gone. youre way too late lol

bigred76
07-30-2009, 08:33 PM
We'll see, Ted. I don't think I'm good enough for a magazine yet, and they already have photogs in-house that provide them. :(

BBB, don't say "her" and "whopping your arse" in the same sentence around Chris. ;)

HelpDeskHustler
07-30-2009, 11:39 PM
I hate to be the one making the puns, but I had low-xpectations for this thread.

buffblackbird2002
07-31-2009, 03:27 AM
why am i always the one who is the last to figure things out!!!! Damn it!!!

xsvly-fat
07-31-2009, 12:40 PM
We'll see, Ted. I don't think I'm good enough for a magazine yet, and they already have photogs in-house that provide them.

That 3rd to last picture could make it in a magazine for sure. I think you should send a few pictures in.

oldironmudder
07-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Pic #6 has a revvy in it. :)

TheDarkShadow
07-31-2009, 08:09 PM
and it's on an Ego

DFSniper
07-31-2009, 08:29 PM
Pic #6 has a revvy in it. :)

thats all you need anymore

bigred76
07-31-2009, 08:44 PM
PSP Div3 (Low-X is 4th overall in their division) is 10bps, so during practice her son (that's the field owner's foxy wife using the Revvy on her Ego8) uses her Rotor to practice for the tournament series her son plays in (NCPS, uncapped semi mode).

I know, that one is really good and I'm really glad with the way it came out. I'm definitely going to try to use these same settings for NCPS (not this weekend, but the next) and see how everything comes out.

HelpDeskHustler
07-31-2009, 09:18 PM
thats all you need anymore

Forced will always be better than revvy, sorry.

Red, pics are good, have you gotten any really good paint breaking yet?

bigred76
08-01-2009, 02:16 AM
True, but when it's just practice..... Doesn't really matter. Teaches you more to rely on your gunfighting skills instead of steady ROF (important in PSP).

I have gotten a couple paint splatters, but they're really really hard to get. You have to balance all the settings just right so that the paint is clear and sharp, yet you get the nice spray, and then you also have to get the person nice 'n clear. Then you have to be looking through the viewfinder already focused on the person in order to even have a chance at catching it.

HelpDeskHustler
08-01-2009, 09:08 AM
That's always what the big magazine photographers say. These are looking really nice, I like the dirt in the air, but once you can get a good paintball hit, then you're a paintball photographer ;)

timmyshoota
08-01-2009, 11:41 AM
To be honest, I don't think any of the shots are good enough to be in a magazine. They are certainly better than the first set you did, so you're improving, which is always good. I don't know if some of you understand how hard it is to get published anyways. I've got a friend who is an AMAZING automotive photographer. Infact that's his job, but he's only had one picture published and it was in the "Reader Rides" section, and it was because he had a nicely modded car, with an excellent photo taken in the middle of Manhattan at night. Even then it was just a tiny pic in the magazine.

If you ever get a chance to go to a major event, like XPSL, PSP or whatever the NPPLish league is now, go and try to talk to some of the major media people, like Gary Baum. Connections will probably get you farther than just skill alone. It takes skill, luck and who you know to get published.

bigred76
08-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Yup, I'm highly considering going to USPL (the new NPPL style league, RPL is Shawn Walker's POS league, XPSL is no longer) HB the next time around. I'm also going to be shooting the new RaceTo league that's starting up soon here as well as the Bushwhackers (local field is now sponsoring them, so they're going to be there every weekend pretty much) and possibly a couple other local leagues.

As soon as I get a second camera body, I'm going to be training a second person so I can do more events where the money really is: weddings. It'll also help me to better cover the local paintball scene, which is great to start off with. Little steps will lead me to success, large ones will only lead to tripping and falling down the flight of stairs.

Thanks for noting the improvement, Chris. I thought I was, but I always need a second opinion just to make sure I'm not deluding myself. The first set was the second time I shot paintball, and the second tournament I shot was my first time ever shooting in the rain and was really hard to get the settings right. This last (third) tournament was just about where I was getting comfortable with getting into the lanes (nubes don't always lane the players, they see a ref and shoot a rope) to snag a couple shots, and with this day under my belt and looking quite good, I can't wait to shoot the tournament next weekend (Event#4). :)