PDA

View Full Version : me thinks i havea virus

kramernator
07-07-2009, 09:17 PM
when i startup my computer (hp hdx vista 64) as soon as i log in, i have about a 20 second window where everything will work fine like it should, then the whole computer completely freezes, except for any programs that i had opened in the 20 second window. (for example i am typeing this and listening to music on the computer with the problem) as soon as i minimize a window to the tray, i cannot get it back, the time freezes, cant open the start menu, even if i had....say my computer open, i can no longer do anything with it, the mouse just turns to the little spinny circle.

also, as soon as the computer freezes, an unfamiliar icon appears in the tray in the bottom right of the screen (status bar?? i think) it looks like a planet, (its a circle with grid lines like a globe) i don't know if anybody has seen that icon before or not. so that makes me think that the virus takes a few moments before it starts, and as soon as it does start, it puts up its icon and locks windows explorer

this is my fist experiance ever with a virus, i have avast up to date, it didn't tell me anything, all the firewalls were and are still on,

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

oldironmudder
07-07-2009, 10:10 PM
I had somethingon my comp some time ago & asked Josh & he said download "avast! Antivirus" & "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" Ran them & everything is great. I re run them from time to time to keep it all good. Ill get links in a few.

oldironmudder
07-07-2009, 10:11 PM
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

http://www.avast.com/

kramernator
07-08-2009, 08:09 AM
ya, i'm running a full scale avast check right now, but ill go and get that malware thing when that is finished

pntballer5634
07-09-2009, 08:45 AM
get fios internet, the antivirus is superb. i've had a few viruses, and it quarantines em right away, then i delete em and go on with my day.

HelpDeskHustler
07-09-2009, 01:01 PM
how do you even get a virus in vista...

kramernator
07-10-2009, 09:53 PM
ok think i got it fixed, i just did a system recovery type thing, hit esc on startup and went through a few steps and restored it to a few days before i started having problems......im not even 100% that is was a virus, i have never had one before, so i don't really know much bout them. but everything is working great now