PDA

View Full Version : Band names?

interceptorMR2
07-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Hey there, so my friends and I are starting up a band, but we're having trouble deciding on a name, like most bands do. We have a few names, so I'm just going to nail them down to what I feel are the best ones we came up with, but which one do you guys like the most? We will be playing hard rock up to metal type stuff (no screaming, screaming sucks IMO). My biggest influences are Avenged Sevenfold and Atreyu if that helps, but we also plan on playing similar stuff to what Papa Roach plays. If anyone has any good suggestions that fit with the genre and, of course, are appropriate, feel free to post your idea, just as long as you know its not taken :D

Oh and um.... real bands names please, no jokes :p

EDIT: Avenged Sevenfold and Atreyu are my major influences strictly for GUITAR. I can live with the screaming because the guitar is good.

HelpDeskHustler
07-06-2009, 04:51 PM
keep trying, most of these are MEH. I'll give you suggestions ifI think of anything.

interceptorMR2
07-06-2009, 04:54 PM
yeah I was a little disappointed too, that's why I threw in the suggestion thingy :(

trust me, we had some really crappy ones... I hate when people come up with names that are really similar to other bands.

UKwithPride
07-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Screaming sucks? But a7x and atreyu are influences?

DFSniper
07-06-2009, 05:02 PM

beat me to it.

i find it funny that Funeral for a Friend is screamo but has less screaming and more actual singing than those bands put together.

im not good with names, but if i come up with any, ill let you know.

interceptorMR2
07-06-2009, 05:06 PM
hahaha, yeah I know I know, I'm weird that way. I like the newer stuff from both bands, but actually I love the guitar in both bands, particularly a7x. I can live with screaming, cause synyster gates is amazing.

I'm lead guitarist, so syn is pretty important if you ask me.

Paintball Freak
07-06-2009, 05:07 PM
I had to go with Hollow Conscience... To be honest, I wasn't really fond of any of them... But good luck with that band!

battlechaser
07-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Always wanted to start a band called Everyone Loves http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fKux43-_yfs/RffxXHT_pJI/AAAAAAAAAIs/pmQjFJbVuLM/s320/huge-pi.gif

This would be great album art too.. :D

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.slashfood.com/media/2007/03/pi_pie.jpg

Had to go with Name on a Bullet though..

interceptorMR2
07-06-2009, 05:16 PM
I came up with The Name on the Bullet mostly cause I'm really into WWII and a veteran was telling our class this past year something like "You know there's a bullet somewhere out there with your name on it" so I just kinda took it from that. I like the Pi thing though thats grade A stuff :D

Ace24
07-06-2009, 08:09 PM

Lol, I was just going to say that. Atreyu is terrible live and do almost nothign but scream, especially in most of their older stuff. Avenged Sevenfolds older stuff is all heavy metal screaming too.

I'd take more influence form Three Days Grace or bands like that if you want a "heavier" non scream effect. Slipknot/Sevendust is a decent influence. They don't scream a whole lot.

I came up with The Name on the Bullet mostly cause I'm really into WWII and a veteran was telling our class this past year something like "You know there's a bullet somewhere out there with your name on it" so I just kinda took it from that. I like the Pi thing though thats grade A stuff :D

Bullet With A Name On It is a song I believe.
"I've got a bullet with a name on it, bullet with a name."

interceptorMR2
07-06-2009, 08:25 PM
yeah like I said, I take my interest in the GUITARS of A7X and Atreyu, not necessarily the vocals. A7X is much better with their newer stuff, they don't scream, at least no where near as much anyways, Atreyu of course still does, but their guitar is also good.

Personally, I like TDG, but they get boring. they are way too repetitive IMO.

UKwithPride
07-07-2009, 12:41 AM
screaming a7x > new crap. imo.

I always liked my friends band name. Taxi to the Toilet.

Paradox313
07-07-2009, 02:31 AM
You can never fail with a name like Nitro Zombie.

shark
07-07-2009, 04:00 PM
True that UK. Same goes for Atreyu. They used to be a really good band until they sold out and stopped with the hardcore/screaming stuff.

If you want to hear some really good guitar, check out Dream Theater, especially the song Panic Attack. Also, Mike Portnoy, their drummer, is one of the greatest.

interceptorMR2
07-08-2009, 10:39 AM
okay I'm still having a hard time catching onto what people would be looking for in a band name. What exactly do you guys like about certain names, is it how catchy they are, if they have a special story or meaning behind it, how easy it is to remember, or something else?

Not sure about some people's opinions on taking parts of someone's favorite song and using that as a band name, but I have a few ideas from my favorite song(s)...

TheDarkShadow
07-08-2009, 11:39 AM
when looking for a band name, something that stands out or is catchy is a plus, people will be more likely to remember it, how about Naked Charisma?

VS2 King
07-08-2009, 12:02 PM
True that UK. Same goes for Atreyu. They used to be a really good band until they sold out and stopped with the hardcore/screaming stuff.

If you want to hear some really good guitar, check out Dream Theater, especially the song Panic Attack. Also, Mike Portnoy, their drummer, is one of the greatest.

Dream Theater is really the best Prog Metal band to ever play. Mike Portnoy is the best drummer i have ever listened too. Same goes to Jordan Rudess best keyboardist to date and John Petrucci is one of the best guitarist ever. Cant wait to see them on the 31st!

interceptorMR2
07-08-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm kind of looking for something that might connect to me or one of the members of the band maybe, but idk. A friend of mine told me we should be called "displaced" because I have moved a lot and every time I get comfortable and happy with the people in one spot, we end up moving or something and I get "displaced" (he came up with this cause him and I are pretty much in the same boat). Naked Charisma is definitely catchy, I'll make sure to run that by everyone, thanks dude!

maybe we should just be called "indecisive" cause I don't have the slightest clue what I want? haha jk

By the way, I looked up Dream Theater, I'm very impressed, thanks for the music suggestion :D

DFSniper
07-08-2009, 12:24 PM
some of the best names are things that have personal meanings to them.

interceptorMR2
07-08-2009, 01:07 PM
does Displaced sound okay though? I mean my friend (in the band, not the one who came up with it) likes it, but I want to make sure people "outside" will like it.

shark
07-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Dream Theater is really the best Prog Metal band to ever play. Mike Portnoy is the best drummer i have ever listened too. Same goes to Jordan Rudess best keyboardist to date and John Petrucci is one of the best guitarist ever. Cant wait to see them on the 31st!

I could argue that with BTBAM. It's close, they are both prog but their styles are different. I get to see them and The Faceless in September.

On the name, I would come up with something that is going to relate to the music that you're going to play. If you want to be serious, come up with a serious name. If you're going to be a little lighter, come up with more of a funny name. Maybe try relating your name to some lyrics of a song you have written.

interceptorMR2
07-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Those are some good ideas, we do plan on being serious about this, so the funny names, such as Everybody loves Pi, are cool but there's no way I plan on using them.

kramernator
07-08-2009, 07:11 PM
okay I'm still having a hard time catching onto what people would be looking for in a band name. What exactly do you guys like about certain names, is it how catchy they are, if they have a special story or meaning behind it, how easy it is to remember, or something else?

i think one of the biggest things is how original it is, for example : Avenged Sevenfold where have you ever heard anything like that before?? in fact i believe that is something from the bible, but you get the point

by the way, nitro zombie is an AWESOME name!

Paradox313
07-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Or with a name a little obtuse.

Build Us Airplanes, is not only a unique band name, but a good band as well.
http://www.myspace.com/buildusairplanes
Check them out if you have the chance.

I even have got a tattoo in honor of the band.

TheDarkShadow
07-08-2009, 07:42 PM
lol Nitro Zombie

The Darkest Hour?
or how bout THE STEEL MAGNOLIAS! :peace:

UKwithPride
07-08-2009, 08:29 PM
lol Nitro Zombie

The Darkest Hour?
or how bout THE STEEL MAGNOLIAS! :peace:

"Darkest Hour" is already a band.

interceptorMR2
07-08-2009, 10:22 PM
I think we settled on a good name. We decided to call ourselves "Dismayed at Goodbye" (richard bach reference) because it has to do with one of our German exchange students that became really good friends with us and she just recently left. What do you guys think?

bigred76
07-09-2009, 02:09 AM
Sounds good to me. :tup:

kramernator
07-09-2009, 07:34 AM
well i know whatcha mean, we had two germans exchange students, and they were pretty much the coolest kids i have ever known, o, by the way, i think its a pretty decent name :)

interceptorMR2
07-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Cool, thanks guys, yeah the Germans pick the good ones when they send em' over here, cause they are always lots of fun haha, we had a french and a swiss one too, but the German exchange student was by far the best :D

Paradox313
07-09-2009, 12:06 PM
I somehow knew that this thread was going to be ultimately useless, and that you weren't going to settle with the names provided in the poll, or the thread.

interceptorMR2
07-10-2009, 09:08 AM
I was kind of hoping the band names I put up were going to be better than I thought, I would have used them if I had better feedback, but I guess they were just as blah as I thought of them in the first place... my friends really liked em, so I figured I'd give it a try, so sorry it didn't exactly... work. :shrug:

Most people didn't really give the names I was looking for in the first place... no offense, cool and definitely funny (nitro zombie! lol) band names, but I was looking for something more serious...

HelpDeskHustler
07-11-2009, 11:44 PM
SkiFree Massacre

irishwarrior
07-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Barad-dür
Guardians of Numenor
Belegurth
Hell Awakened

jvaughn94
07-13-2009, 12:06 PM
How bout Permantly Banned...lol. Would fit techno better...(Runs away to go buy a keyboard...)

kramernator
07-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Most people didn't really give the names I was looking for in the first place... no offense, cool and definitely funny (nitro zombie! lol) band names, but I was looking for something more serious...

i see what you mean, but keep in mind, barenaked ladies, cage the elephant, sick puppies and the butthole surfers are all fairly successful bands

i just can't stop thinking of nitro zombie! :D

interceptorMR2
07-15-2009, 04:47 PM
i see what you mean, but keep in mind, barenaked ladies, cage the elephant, sick puppies and the butthole surfers are all fairly successful bands

i just can't stop thinking of nitro zombie! :D

touche :coffee:

nitro zombie I've gotta say is the best one I heard though!

DFSniper
07-15-2009, 04:48 PM
nitro zombie sounds like some speed metal/acid punk name