PDA

View Full Version : Chopping!

DD1
07-05-2009, 03:07 PM
I have looked at a lot of the old threads and have seen many different suggestions as to what to do about chopping. However I am not sure which one will fix my problem.

Recently I purchased an ACP Terminus delrin bolt and a slim style striker. Both with o-rings. Unfortunately, I was never able to get the bolt and striker combo to work. The marker acted like it was low on air, and would not auto recock it self. I tried many different spring combos, but to no avail. So I took out the striker and just used the bolt. I also added a clamping feed neck, and I shortened the hopper feed neck to decrease the profile of the hopper.

After much aggravation from constant chopping I have since learned that backing off the main spring tension helps, but I am not sure why. Also I removed the delrin bolt and installed the original bolt and feed neck. It helped some. I put in a new detente. No help. I have been told that I need to be using a loader instead of a gravity hopper.

The breakage seems to be in the breech and it blows back up the feed neck causing the balls to jam in the goo from broken paint.

I really love my MR1, but am ready to throw in the towel on this problem.

Puzzled.

battlechaser
07-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Have you picked up a spring kit? A lot of people have run into trouble playing with lightened strikers, normally the issue is the valve spring is too hard for the lighted bolt assembly to open, a harder main spring or softer vlave could help. You might also want to look into an aftermarket valve, as it could also be a lack of air to recock the marker.

Griff
07-05-2009, 06:47 PM
I think battle chaser is on the right track with out the righr sping tention ballance you can also increase the amount of popcorning adding to the problem.

DD1
07-06-2009, 01:29 PM
As said earlier, I tried lighter springs from a trilogy kit, but could not find a combination that would work. The other option I have not tried is to regulate the pressure down. I did this on my old Compact and it works great.

My main problem however, is the chopping. Does it matter that the neck on a gravity hopper is the full length, or can it be shortened.

oldironmudder
07-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Gravity hopper is the problem. If you were to get a Halo or other force feed hopper your chopping will be down to nothing or once in a blue moon.

slim and shady
07-08-2009, 09:10 AM
What is the marker chronoed at?

DD1
07-20-2009, 08:33 PM
I can't get over 240. I have found something new. This chopping is not really chopping at all. it is excessive blow back going back up through the feed neck.

When I test the gun with just a few balls in the hopper I have no problem so I think I am ok. But when I go to get in the game I fill the hopper and the balls have no place to go when excessive air comes back up the feed neck.

I noticed that when I would test it, the balls would jump around in the hopper wildly and there would be a lot of air coming out from the feed neck.
When the hopper was full, the balls had no where to go and would break the first ball in the neck of the gun. Goooo!

The grove for the detent extends into the feed neck opening on my MR1, whereas my Compact is on the opposite side. I don't have this problem with my Compact.

raven14
02-21-2010, 02:04 PM
I was having similar problems where my ball would jam and sometimes chop. I was using a gravity hopper at the time. Picked a Richochet Ak that runs at about 12bps and that solved the problem.

slim and shady
02-21-2010, 08:23 PM
I use a MR1 lots with a gravity hopper I have never chopped a ball eveer in that marker. What kind of paint are you using? If blowback is a big issue a electronic hopper will will help lots. you could also get a ACP 2 oring bolt.