PDA

View Full Version : computer help

speed
06-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Hey guys so here's my problem i have a laptop for high school buts its on the second floor and my router is on the second and the connection is horrible. I also have a 360 so playing online is a hassle. I've heard about a signal booster but have no idea what it does, how it works or what i need to get. So if any of you computer geniuses can help that would be great. Thanxs in advance

DFSniper
06-13-2009, 10:24 AM
signal boosters are $$. your best bet would be to attach another router to another computer in the house and use that as an access point, or get a better router/wireless card. i'm partial to netgear myself.

if it makes you feel any better, theres a microwave between my pc and my router, so i have a habit of losing signal every time someone heats up food.

speed
06-13-2009, 01:50 PM
thats really sucks, but the only other computer in the basement so that's not gonna work. How much would a booster run for? Also do i need to get a new router if i do get a booster, currently i have a Actiontec router

DFSniper
06-13-2009, 02:02 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164150

this one actually isnt too bad, about the price of another router.

also, dont put your router in a corner. you get a better signal if its not up against walls.

speed
06-13-2009, 02:19 PM
thanxs, will i need to buy a new router for this to work, also i have Verizon if that affects any things