PDA

View Full Version : Considering Serving

marvin-martian
06-12-2009, 09:23 AM
I am going into my 3rd year of college next fall (Im also behind on credits due to changing majors), and am currently on the path of majoring in International Relations/Global Affairs (to go into intel/counter intel). I would like to have a focus on Russia because it has a good mix of personal interest and current need. All my life I have toyed with the idea of doing something in the military or SWAT or something of the sort, but was never able to commit - mainly because i had no idea what i wanted to do with my life. Right now I'm thinking about it both because of my interest, and because i think it will be a nice resume booster.

The problem is that I have no idea what would be the most beneficial to me, or even what branch i should look at. I'm fairly sure I will enjoy whatever I do in the military, so how long I stay will be pending on how fast I get burned out. Any ideas I should take a look at?

TheDarkShadow
06-12-2009, 09:45 AM
airforce would be cool

Hossy
06-12-2009, 11:47 AM
I assume you want to go in as an Officer? or are you looking to drop out and just go Enlisted?

I would definitely suggest finishing school first, because I think being an officer is a pretty good deal. I dont know your screenname, but I could talk to you alot about this via AIM if your interested.

I would definitely say Marines or Navy, for two reasons. The Navy will let you do a lot of traveling (you said you liked Russia, idk if your interested in travel) but you also may get a chance to be aboard an Aircraft Carrier and those things are truely amazing. The Marines are well, the Marines. They do amazing things.

big_daddy_d
06-12-2009, 05:02 PM
The Marines are well, the Marines. They do amazing things.

I beg to differ, I spent 3 weeks with them in the field in Thailand, and their only interests were procuring scorpions to fight them in the barracks, killing any and all wild life in site, and talking about dry humping the first thing that didn't have a weiner that moved when they got their liberty pass in Pattaya. Was an eye opener.

marvin-martian
06-12-2009, 06:44 PM
My dad recommended that i look into Cryptology. Anybody have information on this?

irishwarrior
06-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Look at CIA, NSA, and other organizations that deal in Comms and intel. For Intel-based I would check out the Air Force.

marvin-martian
06-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Look at CIA, NSA, and other organizations that deal in Comms and intel. For Intel-based I would check out the Air Force.

thats actually where i currently plan on ending up, and i figured the military would definitely help me get in, or give me a place to be if things go sour.

buffblackbird2002
06-13-2009, 02:48 AM
Me being in the Air Force, i say come to the Blue Side. They take care of thier own alot better than i have seen other branches. Army and marines are taking the brunt of the war right now and you can suffer from some serious mental and physical trauma in those two branches. The Navy takes good care of its people but i dont here about much interaction with outside families, i have a cousin in the navy right now, married, two kids. And just because its the Navy doesnt mean you will get stationed on a ship or in water. forementioned cousin is stationed at the great ocean base of Tinker AFB, Oklahoma. Like i said, the air force takes good care of families along with its troops. Basic training in all branches is just one big mind game, if you are in good physical shape, you will make it past all the physical training B.S. Wherever you may go, as long as you do your time, do what your told, and make it out with an honorable discharge (if you dont make it to retirement) being a veteran will help you many many times over for jobs on the outside world.

RSX99
06-13-2009, 12:18 PM
I am going into my 3rd year of college next fall (Im also behind on credits due to changing majors), and am currently on the path of majoring in International Relations/Global Affairs (to go into intel/counter intel). I would like to have a focus on Russia because it has a good mix of personal interest and current need. All my life I have toyed with the idea of doing something in the military or SWAT or something of the sort, but was never able to commit - mainly because i had no idea what i wanted to do with my life. Right now I'm thinking about it both because of my interest, and because i think it will be a nice resume booster.

The problem is that I have no idea what would be the most beneficial to me, or even what branch i should look at. I'm fairly sure I will enjoy whatever I do in the military, so how long I stay will be pending on how fast I get burned out. Any ideas I should take a look at?

Marv, sounds like you would be best suited to finish college and either go in as a Officer or go the enlisted/ OCS route. Don't waste your time as enlisted unless you really want to work and not get credit where credit is due. I say this because I was an IS2(SW) in the Navy. The Ship's Intelligence Officer takes all the glory while we're in the trenches.

On another note, I'm not sure which branch would best suit you. Chairforce and Navy have the best schooling, but if camaraderie is what you look for, Marines are your choice. We worked hand in hand with the Marine intel staff and they're extremely professional but have a great sense of morale as well.

I think you would be best suited for intelligence vice cryptology. Cryptologists in the Navy basically intercept/send messages and decrypt/encrypt them. I'm sure with an intelligence background you can get into the NSA/CIA if you work for it.

marvin-martian
06-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Marv, sounds like you would be best suited to finish college and either go in as a Officer or go the enlisted/ OCS route. Don't waste your time as enlisted unless you really want to work and not get credit where credit is due. I say this because I was an IS2(SW) in the Navy. The Ship's Intelligence Officer takes all the glory while we're in the trenches.

Ideally, I would sign a contract that would let me finish my degree first. If I cant do that, I will just wait to join until after college. I have no intentions of joining until thats all done with.

And thanks everyone for your input/direction. I have alot to consider.

timmyshoota
06-13-2009, 02:28 PM
David, my dad did cryptology in the Navy. Like RSX said, its just decrypting/encrypting messages.

I've looked into the FBI, but I have to finish college first...which involves me getting back into college before I can even do that.

big_daddy_d
06-14-2009, 04:34 AM
Depending on what field you go into, any one of the services may be willing to pay off your student loans etc for a minimum 4 year commitment. I know a lot of our Veterinary officers take advantage of this, do their 4 years get out and start private practice, and don't have to worry about the debt they incurred since uncle Sam payed for it.

LostCause
06-14-2009, 06:18 AM
one: like everyone said go officer, you wouldve just wasted your college education if you just went enlisted.
Two: if your intreasted in intel, do your self a favior and deff go into the Airforce or Navy.
Three:Your intreasted in cyberwarfare (were i plan on going after a few years of Infantry) they just created a whole new Combat battailion just for that and they need people
but really i wouldnt reall consider the Army or Marines for what your looking at, Airforce and Navy are known for their takeing care of you better and cryptology would probaly be more of a use for you. also after you serve your term, could always go reserves and also do NSA, make even more money!

Just don't do it as a resume buffer is all I ask, Do it cause you want to serve and only for that reason! Good luck man.

TheRedBarron
06-14-2009, 09:07 AM
My brother served in Iraq 9 separate times (dating back to the first gulf war), Marine scout sniper, as his brother I am going to say I am extremely proud of him, he climbed the ladder from the bottom and has become very successful, he was injured in his last stay in Iraq, lost his leg, and is so enthused with what he does, that he is now training young scout snipers on the homefront. The marines are about commitment. To the comment that marines only care about screwing around. When it is go time, they are the reason the rest of the military can walk through safely. Dont knock the marines because they are the ones keeping an eye on their brothers in arms. And if you have served in a warzone, thank a marine for being alive.

LostCause
06-14-2009, 09:21 AM
i wasnt knocking the Marines, i have a lot of friends who are marines and are currently over or just getting back from Iraq.

RSX99
06-14-2009, 02:49 PM
My brother is a Marine that served in FAST. So you can imagine the **** that we toss back and forth.

Like I said before, the Marines take care of their own, their morale more than speaks volumes.

teamteste_DB
06-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Pretty much no matter what branch you go into you are going to be deployed to either iraq or afghanistan. Ive been in the "chairforce" for quite some time now and ive been shot at, spit at and blown up more then i ever thought i would. I did get to ride a camel though (see avatar, haha). Go officer try to get intel. They will tell you there are no intel openings and try to push some crap job on you. Tell them you will wait for a intel opening. Trust me, i made that mistake.

DFSniper
06-15-2009, 06:36 PM
And if you have served in a warzone, thank a marine for being alive.

sorry, but i have to butt in here. my dad told me that MOST IEDs are on marine-patrolled roads because they only patrol them every week or so, not every other day like the army does.

RSX99
06-15-2009, 07:46 PM
sorry, but i have to butt in here. my dad told me that MOST IEDs are on marine-patrolled roads because they only patrol them every week or so, not every other day like the army does.

While this may be true, the Marines are the tip of the spear. During the initial stages of combat, the Marines clear the path for the Army. Think about it, we have amphibs loaded with jarheads, floating all over the world.

marvin-martian
06-16-2009, 05:45 AM
Pretty much no matter what branch you go into you are going to be deployed to either iraq or afghanistan. Ive been in the "chairforce" for quite some time now and ive been shot at, spit at and blown up more then i ever thought i would. I did get to ride a camel though (see avatar, haha). Go officer try to get intel. They will tell you there are no intel openings and try to push some crap job on you. Tell them you will wait for a intel opening. Trust me, i made that mistake.

I have at least 2 years before I start my military life. I'm waiting anyway.

LostCause
06-16-2009, 07:55 AM
While this may be true, the Marines are the tip of the spear. During the initial stages of combat, the Marines clear the path for the Army. Think about it, we have amphibs loaded with jarheads, floating all over the world.

not true at all my friend..... U.S. Army spearheaded into Iraq and Afghanistan (which more fighting is a occuring just no one gives a rats behind lol) Marines layed more of a major role in Iraq spearhead, but you cant say that the Army just followed, 82nd spearheaded into Iraq also.

But this thread is going to sprial downhill into a Marines jar head vs. every other branch....

RSX99
06-16-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm speaking in general, while you're narrowing your opinion to the war or terror LostCause. In the past Marines lead the way. When it comes to rapid response, Marines are the first boots on the ground.

I'm not a Jarhead, I was in the Navy. I served on said "amphib" USS Kearsarge LHD-3.

LostCause
06-16-2009, 12:56 PM
amphibiously yes they can get anywhere near a ocean, and im glad they can cause they are some tough ***'s, but your laso forgeting that Army Strykers, airborne and ranger battlions can get just as quickly anywhere on short notice, maybe not as quickly or as powerful as the USMC with the Navy backing them, but still hella quick lol. Either way, glad we have them

RSX99
06-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Mos Def Lost.