PDA

View Full Version : Welts?

paintballkid0206
05-25-2009, 03:17 PM
I went paintballing last weekend, and, while inspecting my welts, I got around to thinking. Why are they shaped like donuts? They are only red/bruised in a ring, the center seems untouched. You would think there would b some redness, at least, in the center, because that's the spot that first gets hit. or, once the ball hits, does the force spread out as the ball breaks? anyone have an explaination?

Critical
05-25-2009, 05:36 PM
I've never done an in-depth investigation, but I would assume that your skin basically does the same thing that water does when a rock or something gets tossed in, with the waves and stuff that you see in the high speed film, and that's why the ring, because it's what moves the most, as opposed to the center which only gets pushed in.

slim and shady
05-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Its just the way the ball breaks if you shoot something solid like plywood then go take a look at it it does the same thing. For the most part there is little to no paint in the center but there is a "Ring" of paint around the hallow middle. I would emagin you welt in this same manner because of the way the impact spreads out. Cant say for sure though, could be way wrong :)

Hoppy11
05-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Send it into mythbusters.

Paintball Freak
05-25-2009, 06:41 PM
^
^^
l
l
l
Exactly what I was thinking!

I want to see Adam get shot, and Jamie the one to do it... lol

bamf-hacker
05-25-2009, 06:53 PM
They already had paintball on Mythbusters and besides the paintball welt is not a bustable myth.

When the ball hits you the force spreads out quickly and the resulting bruise is from the skin moving. If you get hit on a boney spot you are more likely to get a solid bruise.

Paintball Freak
05-25-2009, 08:42 PM
I was just wanting to see Adam get lit up, it didn't really care about a myth lol

kramernator
05-26-2009, 02:38 PM
or... how bout this,
its really hard to explain, so sorry if this doesn't make any sense...

when the ball hits you, the round front face (part that hits you first) is weak, (its a simple concept, domes are not a strong shape) resulting in little or no welt. but the sides of the ball are stronger, so they push on the skin, or maybe cut it a little, and that is why the welt is circular.

ok so the red is the face that will hit you (the pinkish tan), so the red is also the weakest spot on the ball, and the blue, is the strongest spot, so thats why it will make a ring.
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii308/mkramernator/paintball.jpg

let me know if you know what i am talking about

RSX99
05-26-2009, 03:41 PM
May be just me but I'm pretty sure a sphere is structurally sound.

DFSniper
05-26-2009, 03:44 PM
makes sense.

i tried looking up time warp videos on youtube, but i couldnt find any good ones. just the paintball shot to the eye and the one where the girl gets shot at 320fps...

Hoppy11
05-26-2009, 08:39 PM
May be just me but I'm pretty sure a sphere is structurally sound.

They are which is why arches and barrel vaults were used in early architecture so much.

I think what he is trying to say is that the force and energy of the ball hitting the skin transfers to the outside edges of the ball, hence the donut shaped welt.

paintballkid0206
05-26-2009, 08:40 PM
I get it. Maybe the show Time Warp could do something like it. It would be cool to see a paintball hit in slow-mo.

and I think I get what Bamf said, i got hit on the collar bone twice, and they were solid bruises. and when i shoot at barrels, they are more soled, not donut-shaped

bamf-hacker
05-27-2009, 06:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH29Z1CzW68

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YYRecUehqg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiurnJJUDg

king-man
05-27-2009, 10:21 AM
wow thats some strong language on the comments of the time warp one, does everygthing have to include people flaming each other in paintball, jeez

bigred76
05-27-2009, 11:41 AM
wow thats some strong language on the comments of the time warp one, does everygthing have to include people flaming each other in paintball, jeez

Simple answer: yes.

paintballkid0206
05-27-2009, 02:51 PM
sorry Red, cant watch Youtube

florios
07-14-2009, 05:01 AM
well i have a little bit of knowlage of bruises and what i know is that a bruise is blood thats sorta cloted and broken out of the veins and some times this blood can move around so you might get hit some where but somtimes the bruise might be a little lower then where you actualy got hit.

now in the case of a paint ball its a combonation of place of impact and those water riple things that criticle was talking about

now the ball hits you and sqeezes all you blood out of where it hit you and pushes it into a perfect circle

now thats just my guess dont flame on be because im completly rong but thats how i think it happens

RSX99
07-14-2009, 05:11 AM
Can I flame for lack of spelling? JK..