PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Gravity Hopper

Celtic
05-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Ok i have an idea of making a gravity hopper (or a hopper that doesn't require battery's) that very rarely jams. So I Challenge everyone on this forum to help in creating this hopper. Post all your ideas and pictures below. I honestly believe that i can be done and the best way to do it is by putting our heads together. :D

DFSniper
05-18-2009, 07:49 PM
air-assist like the A-5 cyclone feed. uses blowback to popcorn paint in the hopper. people have been doing it for almost 20 years now. next best would be the tacamo hopper.

paintballkid0206
05-18-2009, 08:02 PM
+1 DFS. lol

ferret15
05-18-2009, 08:19 PM
air-assist like the A-5 cyclone feed. uses blowback to popcorn paint in the hopper. people have been doing it for almost 20 years now. next best would be the tacamo hopper.

umm the a-5 cyclone doesn't use the air for that. the air is used to push a piston that turns a ratchet that turns the paddles. even the the modification for the sleeve that piston moves in have been modified to exhaust the air so that the cyclone can feed faster with out having to deal with the back pressure of the air after the cyclone has done its job.

-1 for DF

2nd this contest is gay when the loader is so cheap to buy in comparison to the money your going to spend paintballing, Just bite the bullet and buy one that works great.

bigred76
05-18-2009, 09:01 PM
+2 for DF.

slim and shady
05-18-2009, 09:12 PM
+3 Df

Hossy
05-19-2009, 07:31 AM
+4 DF is the WINNAR!

oldironmudder
05-19-2009, 10:57 AM
+5 DF

-1 Ferret

If he has an idea why flame him for it? Even if it is total trash. The smart thing would be to lead him in the direction refining his idea to something that maybe worth trying.

Celtic
05-19-2009, 11:52 AM
So heres my idea of a a anti jamming gravity hopper. First i took what i do know that works well. We know that if you took a barrel filled it with pbs and put it in your feed neck it would load flawlessly. Now why is that? Well we know that there is no way for a ball to get caught on something slowed downed or jammed. So ball after ball would would seamlessly fall into place and be shot without any manipulation, however this would only last a few seconds because we would run out of balls extremely . So here is my interpretation on how you could combine this basic knowledge into a bigger loader. http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z141/celticfists/IMG000053.jpg

By implementing 5 or 6 smooth channels for the balls to follow in the extended feedneck . This would allow for minimal jamming while maintaining gravity and weight distribution as the only power sources to this loader. Now i know this isn't a perfect idea but i think with some refinements it could be a a serious contender to the basic gravity loader. So please give me some suggestions and criticize my ideas. :D

slim and shady
05-19-2009, 02:24 PM
well ferret seems to have the critisize part down so I will give you a sugestion. mhy not try one single coiled tube?

XSiv Force
05-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Here is a problem i can see with the channels....what if by any chance you get an oblong ball that jams in the channel? Other than that i cant think of anything off the top of my head i'll think about it some more!

P.S. Sniper vs. Ferret generally leaves one alive and the other scattered in pieces over the ground at a 1000 paces

Celtic
05-19-2009, 06:13 PM
well ferret seems to have the critisize part down so I will give you a sugestion. mhy not try one single coiled tube? I like that idea the only thing is how man pbs would be able to fit inside?

Here is a problem i can see with the channels....what if by any chance you get an oblong ball that jams in the channel? Other than that i cant think of anything off the top of my head i'll think about it some more!

P.S. Sniper vs. Ferret generally leaves one alive and the other scattered in pieces over the ground at a 1000 paces

Maybe by making each channel a mm or 2 bigger than the actually pbs

slim and shady
05-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Im not sure I would assume it would be a considerable amount less probably 75 or so if you were lucky as you would have to have fairly wide bends to it. More I think about it probably not do-able at all.

DFSniper
05-19-2009, 06:56 PM
umm the a-5 cyclone doesn't use the air for that. the air is used to push a piston that turns a ratchet that turns the paddles. even the the modification for the sleeve that piston moves in have been modified to exhaust the air so that the cyclone can feed faster with out having to deal with the back pressure of the air after the cyclone has done its job.

-1 for DF

-1 for ferret. i was referring how the a5 uses excess air to power the hopper. i know how the cyclone feed works...
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z141/celticfists/IMG000053.jpg

as i mentioned before, Archon Tacamo hopper:
http://www.paintball-hoppers.com/images/archon-gravity-paintball-hopper.gif

ferret15
05-19-2009, 07:08 PM
-1 for ferret. i was referring how the a5 uses excess air to power the hopper. i know how the cyclone feed works...

as i mentioned before, Archon Tacamo hopper:

I have the tacomo hopper and it sits in my parts box.

but the a-5 doesn't use the air to popcorn the balls.

paintballkid0206
05-19-2009, 08:22 PM
-1 for ferret.

its down to -2... wait...

is the Archon hopper actually using the excess air? or am i looking at the picture weird? and it seems like Celtic's design is much like the Archon hopper, just a little more complicated. and that paintballs are coming to the feedneck from the left, right, AND center.

slim and shady
05-19-2009, 08:36 PM
but the a-5 doesn't use the air to popcorn the balls.

I think he clairified that already ;) The idea he was getting out there was for THIS new design to use air to popcorn the balls.

DFSniper
05-19-2009, 08:50 PM
its down to -2... wait...

is the Archon hopper actually using the excess air? or am i looking at the picture weird? and it seems like Celtic's design is much like the Archon hopper, just a little more complicated. and that paintballs are coming to the feedneck from the left, right, AND center.

the archon hopper just funnels the paint a little better so that it doesnt jam going into the feedneck, and it stops the blowback from pushing the paint back up into the hopper, which causes chops.

bigred76
05-20-2009, 12:27 AM
The hopper with the air ratchet for Spyders and the A5's Cyclone both use the excess air to spin an impeller. How does not matter as they both achieve the same end.

Celtic
05-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Ok what about a light suction system? say you had a air tight hopper and as a ball left the feedneck suction pulled another down?

king-man
05-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Ok what about a light suction system? say you had a air tight hopper and as a ball left the feedneck suction pulled another down?

ehh how would you make the bottom airtight while allowing balls to fall out? even if you would, wouldnt it force balls out creating a bigger version of the problem your trying to elimate

paintballkid0206
05-21-2009, 03:24 PM
yea, and it would also be pretty hard to make the lid completely airtight. and like king-man said, it wouldnt b completely airtight, cuz the feedneck leads to the gun, which, thru the barrel, has an opening. and even if there was a way, would the pressure from the blowback of the exess air cause damage to the hopper?

chl2onic
10-03-2009, 12:54 PM
On a side note, the cyclone and other impeller systems don't use that much air at all. A gravity hopper that had no resistance to air flow to cause a popcorn would use a lot of excess air. You would have to find a low flow low psi reg to make it work, and it would end up costinf more than an electro hopper.

http://www.a5og.net/5-trigger-systems/26980-r-t-cyclone-test.html

Here is the thread on the tippmann forum I frequent.. As you can see the cyclone only deducts around 1 fps of velocity versus a sealed reciever. It does use a little gas, but it's not the number that people make it out to be.

On the suction hopper note. I think you would have better luck with a hopper that with a air bladder in the top, that filled up as balls emptied it. That would keep the open space avial. unusable, so then the balls did popcorn, they wouldnt have anywhere to go. Or even just a positively charged air pressure into the top of the hopper.

No matter what you do though, a a gravity powered or even adgitated hopper has it's limits, becauce the acceleration of gravity is the same for all objects. The only way to get a real high rof (over 13 or so) is to force feed balls ie. Rotor or cyclone.

I know the cyclone can only shoot 15 bps stock, but modded out people have reported upper 20s