PDA

View Full Version : Anno'ing a PPS & an e-Frame?

dizzy
05-12-2009, 10:30 PM
So I'm thinking of getting my LP Spyder anodized, and I was wondering if it's possible to do it to a Palmer's Stabilizer, and a Spyder e-frame.

I had heard that the e-frame's metal doesn't hold anodizing, but I just want to make sure.

:confused:

Critical
05-13-2009, 04:47 AM
The stab would be no problem, I've seen a number of them annoed. For the e-frame, you would probably want to look at powdercoating or hydrographics, anno is no good on them.

oldironmudder
05-13-2009, 05:14 AM
The frames are cast aluminum & wont hold ano.

dizzy
05-13-2009, 05:58 AM
Ah damn. 'Cause I've been wanting to get an Ego-like clear and red color scheme, but I don't want my frame to look out of place from the powdercoating. Can hydrographics do a regular, clear that'll look like a clear anno?

Oh, and one more question! With the PPS, is there any way to anodize half the PPS in one color, and the other half in another?

oldironmudder
05-13-2009, 07:24 AM
Hydrographics, I know nothing about them but I think I know what it is. Ive seen some shotguns & rifles dipped that get a camo covering.

On the Palmer, IF you can get the two halves apart then you can. You could call palmer up & see if you send in the reg body if they will take it apart.

Muddytaco
05-13-2009, 10:16 AM
you can get clear doing it yourself on the frame. The white look is achieved by sandblasting a piece followed by clear anno, glossy clear is polished parts followed by clear anno.....either can be done without following it up with anno, it just won't be as durable. Either way it will match annoed parts very closely.

ferret15
05-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Hydrographics, I know nothing about them but I think I know what it is. Ive seen some shotguns & rifles dipped that get a camo covering.

On the Palmer, IF you can get the two halves apart then you can. You could call palmer up & see if you send in the reg body if they will take it apart.

palmers stabilizers are 1 piece? i know a guy who just got his annoed

dizzy
05-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Damn, they are. I was looking it over today, and the whole thing is one piece. I wonder if the anodizers can make it two colors. If not, I may just have to settle with having it only in clear :(

EDIT: Thanks for the info, muddy! Since you said it won't be as durable, how un-durable will it be? Like, if I use the marker a lot, I'll lose the dust finish in no time? Or it'll be fine as long as I keep it clean, etc?

Critical
05-14-2009, 01:01 PM
They would be able to two colors, it should be nothing more than a simple mask (their term). Worst case scenario is that they charge you for masking each side, but you would need to speak to the anodizer about that.

Muddytaco
05-14-2009, 01:31 PM
EDIT: Thanks for the info, muddy! Since you said it won't be as durable, how un-durable will it be? Like, if I use the marker a lot, I'll lose the dust finish in no time? Or it'll be fine as long as I keep it clean, etc?

Its not as durable as in it is softer then anno. Anno adds a layer that is harder then the actually metal, aluminum is a very soft metal.

It won't "rub" off however it will scratch easier.

That being said, I played with my eclipse dark frame I cut up for my cocker with bare metal patches all over it for 4 months before annoing it and it never got damaged.

Edit: anno can be masked, however I will say the PPS will look odd being two colors since (almost) everybody knows its one piece.