PDA

View Full Version : Music Help

paintballkid0206
05-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Ok, i'm trying to get into new music. well, i'm already into it, but i want to buy cd's and such, but i dont know what genre what i like is. almost all of what i have on my ipod is country, or classic rock, but my favorites arent of those genres. here's a list of songs that i put in my favorites, i was wonderin if someone culd help me put a general genre on it (or more than one). i know its not all the same genre but one or two genres that include most of the songs will work for me. i would use my pandora.com account, but one of the scripts freezes the site. any help appreciated. thanks!

song-artist/band

Animal i have become- Three days grace
the anthem- good charlotte
but, honestly- foo fighters
check yes juliet- unknown artist
click click boom- saliva
dear maria- all time low
dirty little secret- all-american rejects
disenchanted- my chemical romance
erase/replace- foo fighters
fall for you- secondhand serenade
famous last words- my chemical romance
guardian angel- red jumpsuit aparatus
handlebars- flobots
hello helicopter- motion city soundtrack
hero heroine- unknown artist
hey there delilah- plain white t's
how to save a life- the fray
i guess you're right- the posies
if everyone cared- nickelback
lifestyles of the rich and the famous- good charlotte
long road to ruin- foo fighters
love comes- the posies
nine in the afternoon- panic! at the disco
no stranger to shame- uncle kracker
one week- barenaked ladies
savin' me- nickelback
six feet under the stars (idk if thats the right title)- unknown artist
stricken- disturbed
teenagers- my chem. romance
thanks for the momories- fall out boy
welcome to my life (idk if thats the right title either)- unknown artist
welcome the the black parade- my chem romance
when you were young- the killers

marvin-martian
05-09-2009, 11:39 AM
most of its mainstream radio alternative

paintballkid0206
05-09-2009, 11:40 AM
ohkay. thanks marv. what bands would that include?

also any song/band/CD suggestions based on the music listed would b great.

marvin-martian
05-09-2009, 11:44 AM
I am the Movie - Motion city Soundtrack
Dookie - Greenday
The Offspring
Something to Write Home About - The Get Up Kids
Take Off your Pants and Jacket - Blink 182

paintballkid0206
05-09-2009, 11:46 AM
thanks tons marv. still open to any/all suggestions. once i finally find exactly what i like i should b able to do this without help. lol

marvin-martian
05-09-2009, 11:49 AM
report back when you check those out, and ill know where to guide you from there

edit OH, and check out Brand New. 3 albums, each one gets more mature than the last. i would suggest checking out Deja Entendu and The Devil and God

paintballkid0206
05-09-2009, 11:50 AM
will do, thanks

marvin-martian
05-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Bleed American - Jimmy Eat World

timmyshoota
05-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Hero/Heroine is by Boys Like Girls. Six Feet Under the Stars is by All Time Low.

Seriously the best way to find new music is to get Pandora working and put some of those artists in there.

I agree on Brand New. I'm not a big fan of them, but I think you may like them.

paintballkid0206
05-09-2009, 04:13 PM
i just tried my pandora. it says there's a script the is makin Adobe Flash Player 10 run slowly and if kept running, my computer may become unresponsive. so i abandon the script. anyone know how to fix it? and thanks for the suggestion timmyshoota

question: is mainstream radio alternative all one genre?

irishwarrior
05-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Yes it's all one genre, and I would recommend the band the Gorillaz.

timmyshoota
05-09-2009, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't really call it a genre, but if you tuned in to your local alternative radio station, you'd hear most all of that stuff.

Do you have iTunes? Use the Radio on there to find stuff. Just pick a genre, and listen.

DFSniper
05-09-2009, 07:51 PM
i think marv nailed it on the head. mainstream alternative "rock" for the most part.

i wouldnt know, i havent really listened to the radio in years, and when i do, its usually the classic rock station.

paintballkid0206
05-10-2009, 06:51 AM
so i'm headin to wally mart today. im gonna try to find some CDs, prolly some Motion City or All Time Low. i never even thought of using iTunes. i thought of listenin to my radio, but i dnt think there is an alternative station around me. i live in the midwest, we have like 5 country stations, a mix station, an oldies, an old rock, and a pop/hip-hop/rap station. im trying iTunes right now, but i dont think its guna work. it doesnt seem like its gonna connect. my computers basically junk, so thats also prolly y Pandora wont work either. but ive got money to burn @ walmart so i think ill just buy some CDs. ive also got some gal friends that are into this stuff, so i might talk to them. i'm still, always open to suggestions. thanks all

interceptorMR2
05-10-2009, 07:55 AM
you should try some Avenged Sevenfold, songs like Almost Easy, Afterlife, Critical Acclaim, Bat Country, MIA, Unholy Confessions, Lost, and Seize the Day.

timmyshoota
05-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Old Avenged Sevenfold > new Avenged Sevenfold.

paintballkid0206
05-10-2009, 03:33 PM
just got back from wally world. they had NO Motion City or All Time Low. i did get a 3 doors down cd and a nickelback one. the nickelback one (Dark horse) sounds good so far.

TheDarkShadow
05-10-2009, 06:13 PM
i used to kind of like nickleback but, idk i've started to dislike them, hmmmm ever listen to Red Hot Chilipeppers?

paintballkid0206
05-10-2009, 06:24 PM
no i havent. asking me if ive listened to anything other than country and classic rock is pointless. just to let u know. lol. i get almost all my music from my dad's cds. i have that little bit from friend's cds. i officially love this nickelback cd. cept there are a couple dirty songs, i dnt mind but my parents kinda do. oh well

DFSniper
05-10-2009, 06:26 PM
just got back from wally world. they had NO Motion City or All Time Low. i did get a 3 doors down cd and a nickelback one. the nickelback one (Dark horse) sounds good so far.

yeah. motion city soundtrack and all time lows arent exactly hit bands. walmart only carries the most popular bands

i was surprised when i found AFI - The Art of Drowning

paintballkid0206
05-10-2009, 06:34 PM
i've noticed that. i might just have to borrow some cd's..

DFSniper
05-10-2009, 06:41 PM
http://www.last.fm/user/DFSniper

see if you find anything you like

edit: look into senses fail and funeral for a friend.

timmyshoota
05-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Nickelback is horrible. Sorry, but they are one of the worst bands out there right now.

DFSniper
05-10-2009, 07:09 PM
love equals death - bombs over brooklyn sounds kind of like MCR - teenagers with the rhythm.

marvin-martian
05-10-2009, 07:13 PM
theres a sweet site called grooveshark.com
it lets you stream music for free, make playlists etc. everything except for download it for free. try it out.

paintballkid0206
05-10-2009, 07:16 PM
ill check that stuff out, thanks. i cnt listen to anything on the cpu right now cuz i think my speakers are messed up, randomly they decide to not play any audio. my pa knows how to fix it. ive tried all i know.

kramernator
05-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Nickelback is horrible. Sorry, but they are one of the worst bands out there right now.
agreed

i was surprised when i found AFI - The Art of Drowning
um... isn't that by 1000 foot krutch??

oh, and check out jimmy eat world, ya someone posted it in here a while back

i personally prefer their older stuff...the "futures" and "sweetness" disks..
the offspring and rise against are my favorite bands right now, little bit harder rock, but maybe check it out anyway ;)

DFSniper
05-11-2009, 01:10 PM
kramer, thats Art of Breaking :p

kramernator
05-11-2009, 02:47 PM
ahhhhhh.... yes of course! haha art of drowning.. thats got miss murder on it right.. love that song

DFSniper
05-11-2009, 03:16 PM
no... that was Decemberunderground...

interceptorMR2
05-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Old Avenged Sevenfold > new Avenged Sevenfold.

I think all their CDs are good, my fave is still City of Evil though.

paintballkid0206
05-11-2009, 06:04 PM
thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! keep them coming.

xsvly-fat
05-11-2009, 08:14 PM
I know your were mainly looking for genres but I have a list of bands you might like. A Rocket to the Moon, The Ataris, A Change of Pace, Every Avenue, Forever the Sickest Kids, Hey Monday, Hit the Lights, Holiday Parade, Matchbook Romance, Mayday Parade, My Favorite Highway, The Starting Line, Story of the Year, Yellow Card. Alot if it is soft or rock.

Shifter19
05-11-2009, 08:42 PM
check out the format, scary kids scaring kids, digital summer and loren battle
all locals to me, check em out!

interceptorMR2
05-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Red, Chevelle, Anberlin, Breaking Benjamin, Evanescence, Crossfade, Flyleaf, Flogging Molly, The Hives, Lostprophets, The Offspring, Powerman 5000, and Thrice.

I'm almost positive these aren't reposts, but if they are, sorry.

marvin-martian
05-11-2009, 11:18 PM
you might really enjoy some Deathcab for Cutie

leed
05-12-2009, 04:04 AM
For future reference, if Pandora isn't working correctly, you can also try http://www.slacker.com It's more or less the same thing.

interceptorMR2
05-12-2009, 03:20 PM
you might really enjoy some Deathcab for Cutie

GREAT BAND. :thumbup:

paintballkid0206
05-12-2009, 06:32 PM
i heard someone say yellowcard. i LOVE the song "Light up the sky". i could listen to it all day. and ive got a Disturbed/Hard rock mixed cd coming. :). and i gotta say, those are a lot of suggestions. thanks, ill have to check some out. so i've decided i am starting to like hard rock, but not scream-o, and that mainstream alternative rock. anyone know of any good sites that i can buy cd's from? it doesnt seem Motion City, All Time Low, etc, are popular enought to b at department stores like walmart.

xsvly-fat
05-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Motion City is a very good band you just have to find them, I think they're on itunes. If you like the song Light up the Sky you'll love the song Ocean Avenue. I for one like scream-o I listen to Devil Wears Prada but that's one of the only scream-o bands I listen to.

marvin-martian
05-12-2009, 11:07 PM
wallmart is your worst bet at cd shopping. best buy has a decent amount, and i would also look for a place called F.Y.E. theyre overpriced, but they have a huge selection.

paintballkid0206
05-13-2009, 04:35 PM
^^^ yeaa, ive noticed. lol. and Motion City ftw. im gettin a mixed cd from another friend now. :D

marvin-martian
05-13-2009, 04:39 PM
also get him to burn a copy of Somehthing to Write Home About - the Get Up Kids. its alot like motion city, and i have a feeling youll really like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFTh_Lr522k

since i guess we cant embed here...

paintballkid0206
05-13-2009, 04:49 PM
ok, thanks. so do the get up kids, in general, have the same stylings as motion city?

marvin-martian
05-13-2009, 04:57 PM
they changed theyre sound after that cd. i dont really like what they became. listen to that youtube i posted and see what you think.

paintballkid0206
05-13-2009, 06:53 PM
i would if i could, but youtube doesnt work on my cpu. we have vry little harddrive space left to install stuff (maybe 2 GB) so i cnt install the new adobe flash or whatever.

edit: just signed up for grooveshark.com, im pretty sure my cpu has sound now.

teamteste_DB
05-13-2009, 07:59 PM
from your original list i would think you would like sceamo..it will grow on ya. ive learned alot about people checking out this thread. DF has pretty good taste in music and i noticed marvins sig...no one skanks anymore. no one. unless your drunk. then its acceptable. but then it gets put on youtube...i digress, from the list you have and from what most people are suggesting i would say check out www.interpunk.com for cds. they have decent prices and usually send you something extra like stickers or posters. They will also let you know what other people are buying that have bought the same cd your looking at. It will help you expand into new bands quite quick.

also, check out some hardcore or metal. evergreen terrace, 36 crazyfists, haste the day, maybe even a little comeback kid. just trying to give you some more suggestions

this is my own personal opinion of course but avenged sevenfold is garbage. sorry i had to get it out.

marvin-martian
05-13-2009, 08:04 PM
no one skanks anymore. no one.
thats like saying ska is dead, which will never happen. just waiting on the fourth wave

also, interpunk is a really good site. check it out.

teamteste_DB
05-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Ska is dead to the world but it will always live in our heats. It was a happier time with happy music, brighter clothes, sometimes checkered...and occasionally suits. i really dont think i want to go back to the 1950s ska either....

Maybe nows the time for a ska comeback.... Check out reel big fish, mighty mighty bosstones, less than jake. those are popular ones. if your parents are picky try the oc supertones or five iron frenzy. both of which are top notch christian bands.

since at no point did i explain ska ill just say its kinda like punk music with a dash of horns.

paintballkid0206
05-14-2009, 02:29 PM
i dont like screamo. i like hard rock, with limited screaming, it doesnt bother mee too much, but hard/heavy rock is still better when u can at least understand some of the words.

marvin-martian
05-14-2009, 02:33 PM
i dont like screamo. i like hard rock, with limited screaming, it doesnt bother mee too much, but hard/heavy rock is still better when u can at least understand some of the words.

given this, look into thrice. all of it. new and old (vastly different) is very good.

DFSniper
05-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Ska is dead to the world but it will always live in our heats. It was a happier time with happy music, brighter clothes, sometimes checkered...and occasionally suits. i really dont think i want to go back to the 1950s ska either....

Maybe nows the time for a ska comeback.... Check out reel big fish, mighty mighty bosstones, less than jake. those are popular ones. if your parents are picky try the oc supertones or five iron frenzy. both of which are top notch christian bands.

since at no point did i explain ska ill just say its kinda like punk music with a dash of horns.

ska is win. and if you havent been able to tell from my last.fm plays, i've gotten addicted to rancid. love me some good ska-punk!

xsvly-fat
05-14-2009, 08:01 PM
given this, look into thrice. all of it. new and old (vastly different) is very good.

I agree Thrice is very good.
ska is win. and if you havent been able to tell from my last.fm plays, i've gotten addicted to rancid. love me some good ska-punk!

Is Rancid good? I only heard the song Fall Back Down (I think?) aren't the coming out with a new CD soon?

DFSniper
05-15-2009, 03:07 AM
new cd comes out next month i believe.

i love fall back down. hell, i love half the rancid songs, but just for some favorites:
fall back down
corazon de oro
ruby soho
time bomb
journey to the end of the east bay
red hot moon
stand your ground
roots radicals
maxwell murder
olympia, wa
radio
st. mary
arrest in shanghai
salvation
the ballad of jimmy & johnny
international cover-up
bloodclot
antennas
wrongful suspicion

you can find vids for most of these songs on youtube

xsvly-fat
05-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Aight cool, I'll look some of them up. I kinda killed the song Fall Back Down cause I listened to it alot and it got old lol.

interceptorMR2
05-16-2009, 01:02 PM

QFT. thrice is one of my all time favorites.