PDA

View Full Version : Hey! I'm not dead! (but I found a bigger money pit)

Nenkitsune
04-13-2009, 12:19 AM
As some of you may know I moved back to Arizona a couple years back, and never got my paintball gear shipped from my dad (apparently it's in some storage unit my sister's friends parents put them in...)

well of course, I needed a car, so last september uhh...I mean...september of 07, I bought myself a 1978 Datsun 280z that needed quite a bit of work.

a rebuilt head, new injectors, new fuel pump, new brake master cylinder, new water pump, new coil, new radiator, new....(you get the idea) I finally had it ready to drive. most of it took the past year to do (but for the last 5 months it sat at a friends house and I couldn't work on it) well, emissions came and my Z wasn't a happy girl. but I FINALLY got it to pass emissions the other day. yep after owning it for 1 1/2 years I FINALLY get to drive it LEGALLY!

but now it needs a new harmonic balancer (the original one is starting to break apart) and it needs new suspension bushings, new differential bushings, probably new transmission gear oil, and it could use a rebuild sometime this year)

but whatever, I'm happy. I have loads of pictures too. bought it for 900, and put uhh...far more than 900 fixing it up. and many times that in the future.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v230/half_breed/My%20Z/

don't mind those two videos that show it smoking a lot. Apparently this car burns quite a bit of oil when you first start it up, even after it's all warmed up (but after running for a while the smoke mostly goes away)

it's a fun car. not the fastest, not the quietest, and not the nicest riding, but it's got a lot of character and personality.

so I'm not dead, and I still would LOVE to play paintball (if I had $$$ to play) but I've got a car that eats money more than a gold digger.

bigred76
04-13-2009, 12:34 AM
:eek: MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!! Good to see you! :D

Nenkitsune
04-13-2009, 01:03 AM
lmao yep yep. man I've been busy. I've got two jobs so I work something like 45-50+ hours a week, and I also have to find time to do work on my Z. I have to go through emissions AGAIN in october because that's when it was last registered (in '98 that is haha)

it's been fun. I just wish I had my paintball gear! damnit I want that XPR400 dremel back!

bigred76
04-13-2009, 01:09 AM
Bahahaha, I remember you being sooo excited over that dremel. You still working at Starbucks? What's the other job?

'98... jesus christ! That's a looooong time since it's been registered! Isn't there a way to do emissions in Arizona before the deadline so you can get it done while it's still meeting them? :P

I opened up a photography biz and shoot local paintball tournaments (link's in the sig). I own ~11 gats or so now (down from 15), so hit me up if you need one. I might even have a project AMG that'd be perfect for someone like you.

Nenkitsune
04-13-2009, 01:11 AM
haha yep, still work at starbucks. the 2nd job is at Castles n Coasters working as an arcade attendant. I get paid for doing jack ****.

it doesn't take much to get it to pass emissions now that I know what tune to put it in to make it pass, but I figure the best thing to do is just start getting it tested on the 1st of october and I should get it to pass within 2 tests.

and I've still got my project spump, project spocker, project BM-1, project spimmy....still in the works

DFSniper
04-13-2009, 02:06 AM
damn. im jealous. i have a money pit too, its called college... :( i want to get a project car, but theres nothing i can afford right now between school, saving money to move out, paintball, and making $800 a month... glad you got that car running though!

Nenkitsune
04-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I make about 1k a month, but I don't really have anything to pay for except 180 a month to my mom for rent and insurance.

battlechaser
04-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Nice car.. I has a soft spot for teh Datsuns... :D

DFSniper
04-14-2009, 03:02 PM
lol, was waiting for you to post...

fatkidfrompbaz
04-14-2009, 05:56 PM
nice car, looks like half of a stingray

Nenkitsune
04-14-2009, 11:30 PM
nice car, looks like half of a stingray

it looks like a ferrari, a jaguar, a corvette, a camaro, a.....it gets a lot of those actually.

the Fairlady Z's were modeled after the Ferrari 250GTO and the Jaguar E-types, and designed to be sold in the US, so it doesn't look very japanese at all (for japanese cars of the time)

I love this old car though. it actually rides very nice (but it's not very quiet over rough roads)

buffblackbird2002
04-15-2009, 02:32 AM
keep that classic outta the crusher. nice ride. i had an 1980 Volvo 242 and it sucked every penny i made from pizza delivery but i loved it. keep on truckin.