View Full Version : Hey! I'm not dead! (but I found a bigger money pit)

04-13-2009, 01:19 AM
As some of you may know I moved back to Arizona a couple years back, and never got my paintball gear shipped from my dad (apparently it's in some storage unit my sister's friends parents put them in...)

well of course, I needed a car, so last september uhh...I mean...september of 07, I bought myself a 1978 Datsun 280z that needed quite a bit of work.

a rebuilt head, new injectors, new fuel pump, new brake master cylinder, new water pump, new coil, new radiator, new....(you get the idea) I finally had it ready to drive. most of it took the past year to do (but for the last 5 months it sat at a friends house and I couldn't work on it) well, emissions came and my Z wasn't a happy girl. but I FINALLY got it to pass emissions the other day. yep after owning it for 1 1/2 years I FINALLY get to drive it LEGALLY!

but now it needs a new harmonic balancer (the original one is starting to break apart) and it needs new suspension bushings, new differential bushings, probably new transmission gear oil, and it could use a rebuild sometime this year)

but whatever, I'm happy. I have loads of pictures too. bought it for 900, and put uhh...far more than 900 fixing it up. and many times that in the future.

don't mind those two videos that show it smoking a lot. Apparently this car burns quite a bit of oil when you first start it up, even after it's all warmed up (but after running for a while the smoke mostly goes away)

it's a fun car. not the fastest, not the quietest, and not the nicest riding, but it's got a lot of character and personality.

so I'm not dead, and I still would LOVE to play paintball (if I had $$$ to play) but I've got a car that eats money more than a gold digger.

04-13-2009, 01:34 AM

04-13-2009, 02:03 AM
lmao yep yep. man I've been busy. I've got two jobs so I work something like 45-50+ hours a week, and I also have to find time to do work on my Z. I have to go through emissions AGAIN in october because that's when it was last registered (in '98 that is haha)

it's been fun. I just wish I had my paintball gear! damnit I want that XPR400 dremel back!

04-13-2009, 02:09 AM
Bahahaha, I remember you being sooo excited over that dremel. You still working at Starbucks? What's the other job?

'98... jesus christ! That's a looooong time since it's been registered! Isn't there a way to do emissions in Arizona before the deadline so you can get it done while it's still meeting them? :P

I opened up a photography biz and shoot local paintball tournaments (link's in the sig). I own ~11 gats or so now (down from 15), so hit me up if you need one. I might even have a project AMG that'd be perfect for someone like you.

04-13-2009, 02:11 AM
haha yep, still work at starbucks. the 2nd job is at Castles n Coasters working as an arcade attendant. I get paid for doing jack ****.

it doesn't take much to get it to pass emissions now that I know what tune to put it in to make it pass, but I figure the best thing to do is just start getting it tested on the 1st of october and I should get it to pass within 2 tests.

and I've still got my project spump, project spocker, project BM-1, project spimmy....still in the works

04-13-2009, 03:06 AM
damn. im jealous. i have a money pit too, its called college... :( i want to get a project car, but theres nothing i can afford right now between school, saving money to move out, paintball, and making $800 a month... glad you got that car running though!

04-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I make about 1k a month, but I don't really have anything to pay for except 180 a month to my mom for rent and insurance.

04-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Nice car.. I has a soft spot for teh Datsuns... :D

04-14-2009, 04:02 PM
lol, was waiting for you to post...

04-14-2009, 06:56 PM
nice car, looks like half of a stingray

04-15-2009, 12:30 AM
nice car, looks like half of a stingray

it looks like a ferrari, a jaguar, a corvette, a camaro, a.....it gets a lot of those actually.

the Fairlady Z's were modeled after the Ferrari 250GTO and the Jaguar E-types, and designed to be sold in the US, so it doesn't look very japanese at all (for japanese cars of the time)

I love this old car though. it actually rides very nice (but it's not very quiet over rough roads)

04-15-2009, 03:32 AM
keep that classic outta the crusher. nice ride. i had an 1980 Volvo 242 and it sucked every penny i made from pizza delivery but i loved it. keep on truckin.