PDA

View Full Version : New Empire Ram Sleeve Upgrade

FredPo
03-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Just thought I'd let all the curious timmy owners know that there is a new drop in replacement ram sleeve (made by empire) for the 2k2/2k5 style markers. It's a new pressure balancing sleeve that allows you to drop your lpr pressure (thus less kick) and a more consistent valve (poppit) opening (better accuracy and a lower dwell)
Here's the review froma respected intimidator owner (paintballer187). This product is said to be released by NPS this week. I'd get with Durrell on ordering one as I plan on doing.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1445329

Let's chat.

Fred

durrell
03-12-2006, 05:04 PM
I carry them, they're going to be running about 185. I imagine that will beat everyone else, haven't heard word of a MAP price yet.

FredPo
03-12-2006, 05:35 PM
hmm, I heard msrp was $190 but I heard we were going to be able to purchase them at $90. Knowing pbn, this may have been an arbitrary statement but look into it for us D.

Fred

phatphil
03-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Sounds like it could be nice, but from his review it doesn't sound like the change is very drastic.

durrell
03-12-2006, 08:56 PM
hmm, I heard msrp was $190 but I heard we were going to be able to purchase them at $90. Knowing pbn, this may have been an arbitrary statement but look into it for us D.

Fred

Well from the looks of things my dealer price is WAY higher than 90, so I'm not sure..

FredPo
03-13-2006, 07:27 AM
That sucks, $190 just for a ram sleeve upgrade is insane, what's empire and NPS thinking?

Fred

ShadowX
03-13-2006, 10:05 AM
that is pretty insane, and from the review, it doesnt look like it does very much....

durrell
03-17-2006, 11:45 AM
It's not 190..I can do 100 even. All colors in stock.

FredPo
03-17-2006, 10:26 PM
It's not 190..I can do 100 even. All colors in stock.
$100, great price from what I've seen most dealers are selling them for. I'm going to wait until I see some reviews from members of pbn and see if it's really worth it.

Fred

durrell
03-18-2006, 07:12 AM
Sounds good, just not sure how long they'll be in stock so let me know..

timmyshoota
03-18-2006, 01:56 PM
I might pick up one of these for my Alias, unless it sells. :( Or maybe I'll use one in a Spimmy.

durrell
03-26-2006, 06:26 PM
OK guys, I've been testing this thing all morning. My poor dark timmy has cycled over 150,000 times this morning. I had it hooked up to the compressor with the trigger held down and just running and running.

Anyway, the reason for that is that I've had two reports of issues with the poppets.

The bad news is we can't use the same poppet in this valve as we had in the ICD valve. The good news is we made a new poppet yesterday, cycled the hell out of it today and should be good to swap them out for everyone within a week, which for most people will even be before they get chance to use them.

I'll have new poppets with me at HB and should be able to send them out to everyone else who bought one of these by the start of next week. It's the same ram sleeve just a new poppet. If you are going to be at HB ask for me by name at the Empire Booth.

We were trying to use the same poppet in the intimidator as all the other valves but due to the way the ram works in the timmy this no longer looks possible.

What has happened in two cases is that the poppet kinked and hit the end of the valve sleeve. This damages the seal edge and made the valve leak. We aren't 100% sure why the poppets kinked in those ram sleeves, it could have been a bent spring, or being hit too hard etc. I think it's partly because the valve is so easy to open, but that doesn't matter as we have a solution already. We will have replacement poppets for the intimidator sleeves that will not kink. (Kink is only good under certain curcumstances )

The new poppet is easier to lubricate and also helps reduce the chance of a pressure spike on gas up.

Up until that point all of our customers were loving the valve. None of my testers have reported this problem, but I guess things like this get found out as you make it into production numbers (the first batch of these sold in a hurry!).

The very good news in that testing it today I got some more interesting numbers for you.

I was running it in a dark timmy with LPR at 60psi, HPR at 220psi and the dwell at 6.0ms. Yes that's right 6.0ms. I was getting 290fps +/- 2 fps. I'm using a Frenzy board and an Asco valve (the one Race uses.) I was also getting 23BPS.

Earlier I had the gun running at 4.0ms dwell but velocity was only 240fps.

It's a crazily consistent valve. I was drilling strings of balls in on top of each other. Since I wore out my compressor in the morning I haven't been able to do a complete efficiency test, but am looking to fix the compressor now and do that for you later. This morning the efficiency was looking very good, but I don't like to give numbers without being 100% certain.

If you have a ram sleeve already, or have one on the way call Brittany Ritchie on 800-346-5615 or e-mail brittany@nationalpaintball.com so she can get details to send you a new poppet. I ask that you wait for the new poppet to avoid damaging the ram sleeve. I promise it won't be long, approx a week at the worst. Give Brittany your details and I'll get a poppet (just the poppet, straight out to you). If you have one installed and it starts leaking from this problem then I need to get both parts back to send you a replacement. The next batch of valves (on sale within 2 weeks) will have these new poppets already.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I promise it will be worth it in the end!

Have to have a new poppet from NPS if any of you have ordered these already. If you haven't, the next batch will come with poppets in 2 weeks. Just figured I'd let you all know.