PDA

View Full Version : after 13 years i finally got one

Modded-Like-Hell
03-21-2009, 05:00 PM
after 13 years of wanting to get one, i finally went out and spent the money on an African Grey. he's 6 months old and his name is Henry. little guy has a bit!!!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/VinceZ/HenryV003.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/VinceZ/HenryV001.jpg

xsvly-fat
03-21-2009, 05:15 PM
My friend has one and he hates it lol, I don't think he trained it though.

DFSniper
03-21-2009, 07:31 PM
lol, my babysitter in 5th grade had one that would sing the ed, edd, n eddy theme song!

TheDarkShadow
03-21-2009, 07:48 PM
birds seem like they would be a PITA to take care of

ferret15
03-21-2009, 08:41 PM
nice, that would go perfectly with my pirate costume!

LostCause
03-22-2009, 05:29 AM
birds seem like they would be a PITA to take care of

had a illegal Parrot (atleast it had to be no documentatioin ever...spoke fluent spainsh (quite a few cusses) and no clue how old...thing was sweet....cept when he stayed in my room...wouldnt shut up...but congrats on getting one!! and good luck!

Birds are a pain at times....though they are quite sturdy and fun to play with....they make a ton of mess and smelly mess....but once againworth it if its a good bird.

Modded-Like-Hell
03-22-2009, 07:09 AM
thanks

shunut
03-22-2009, 08:16 AM
I have an African Grey, looks a lot like yours. Mine is missing his 2 back toes on each claw because his mother bit them off, I think a way to mark their young in the wild. The lady I got him from actually bought him because she breads African Greys and thought he was a she. She was also a good friend so she sold him to me for $150, which was cool because normally the run from $1500-2000.

Some words of advice for you. African Greys are THE smartest parrot. They will pick up EVERYTHING, especially the annoying stuff you don't want them to pick up. My African Grey barks like a dog, meows like a cat, he can cough, sneeze and burp. Lately he has been picking up everything really fast. He can whistle the main riff in Purple Haze, and it sounds just like my guitar. So just to warn you, he will learn everything and the weirdest things.

Congrats!

DFSniper
03-22-2009, 08:20 AM
heres a little tip (if you havent figured it out yet), most of the time, if you cover up the cage at night, they'll think its dark outside and sleep. :up:

Sandman_Bravo
03-22-2009, 08:29 AM
heres a little tip (if you havent figured it out yet), most of the time, if you cover up the cage at night, they'll think its dark outside and sleep. :up:

My wife does that to me each night too! :dodgy:

LostCause
03-22-2009, 09:47 AM

not always...i did that and it occasionaly didnt work...

shunut
03-22-2009, 11:38 AM

My Grey could careless if he is covered or not. Actually, sometimes when I cover him, I think he likes it.

Also, African Greys LOVE water. I have a spray bottle that I keep around his cage and spray him all the time. The lady I got mine from says hers like to get into the shower.

pbgrandpa
03-22-2009, 11:54 AM
That's a good looking Grey. Did you get it from a breeder or pet store? The wife and I have 4 all together.. 1 Grey , 1 Orange winged Amazon, 1 Cockatoo and a Nanda Conure. They will keep you busy. Now is the time to really start training ( him- her). Just remember this ..who ever takes up the most time with it will be the one it bonds with. So it would be a good idea for everyone in the family to take up lots of time with it.

I'm no expert by any means but I do know a little bit about them. We've had ours over 10 yrs. If you have any questions I'd be happy to help. And like was mentioned before watch what you say, they are very smart and mimic everything

shunut
03-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Just remember this ..who ever takes up the most time with it will be the one it bonds with. So it would be a good idea for everyone in the family to take up lots of time with it.

This is very true with Greys. The get very picky about who they like and who they don't like. If 1 person is constantly spending time with him, he will start to only like that person and if anybody else tries to get near him, he might bite them. African Greys can exert 500 lbs per square inch of force in their bite, does not feel good at all. I've also found that African Greys can be very destructive, i.e. they like to chew stuff up. So if he is out of his cage and there is something you want to keep, don't leave it laying around near him. My Grey tore apart one of my check books once, it was a mess. My Grey also likes stuff like fresh grapes, pineapple, peppers and absolutely goes crazy for corn on the cob. So you might want to experiment with some of that stuff and keep it around as a snack/reward.

edited: Since I'm procrastinating right now, I decided I'd take a couple pictures of my Grey, Zazoo (My little sisters named him after the Tuccan on Lion King).

http://www.shunutcreations.com/images/zazoo1.jpg

http://www.shunutcreations.com/images/zazoo2.jpg

Modded-Like-Hell
03-22-2009, 07:32 PM
zazoo is a cutie!!! ive been interacting with him alot... just makes me laugh when he walks on the cieling of the cage lol... hes learning fast in the past 2 days. i will deffenetly ask for advice from u guys. ive had cocktiels before but this one is a first. i got him from a pet store call parrots & co. (only breed parrots). the owner said she breeds them there and showed me a bunch featherless babies she has in a breeding room. i also got a spray bottle for him. i can see that greys are very destructive since he already mess up a few wooden pieces off his toys. he also demands a cover... he makes alot of noise and moves around alot, after i put the cover over he gets quite and goes to sleep.

marvin-martian
03-22-2009, 07:42 PM
freaking birds

TheRedBarron
03-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Change the ringer on your phone regularly, and know what ringer you are using at the time. Trust me.

Friend of mine has one, we were shooting off fireworks one night outside, and the bird started screaming help, we had to bring it outside to watch the fireworks with us else it would have drove me nuts. Very smart birds, careful what you say if you don't want it repeated. They are like tape recorders, and some of the voices they can do are spot on.

xsvly-fat
03-22-2009, 08:17 PM

Ny sister had love birds and even when she did that they still where loud, I'm not to big on birds but parrots are kinda cool.

deano 177
03-25-2009, 05:17 PM
These are the birds that you see on tv calling out colors, shapes, numbers and stuff, right? Do all of them possess that much intelligence or is that one just special?

Modded-Like-Hell
03-25-2009, 05:35 PM
These are the birds that you see on tv calling out colors, shapes, numbers and stuff, right? Do all of them possess that much intelligence or is that one just special?

what ive seen i youtube is that they all posses that intellegence just got to train them.

i cover the cage and cover doesnt go down all the way. so theres like a foot on the bottom u can see threw, what he does is that he goes down to the bottom and spys from there. lol

TheRedBarron
03-25-2009, 06:13 PM
My friend has 7 ringtones on his house phone, his grey knows all of them and can imitate all of them exactly to the point that you will try to answer the phone.

They are on the fire department and have a call tone go off on a pager if they have to respond, the bird knows their whole tone, they had to get vibrating pagers.

He knows countless words, and sounds, he goes bow bow when their dog barks and he cat calls.

Personally if I could handle the amount of noise he can produce, I would have one, but their little quirks would get to me.