PDA

View Full Version : pilot damage after 1500 balls

th3
03-11-2006, 10:16 PM
I bought a pilot last week and shot around 1500 balls when the back (the part that covers the rear of the bolt) broke off the marker and the top cocking bolt bent over enough to scar up the marker body where the bolt comes up through the top of the marker. the marker still shoots but now I have some cosmetic damage I don't like looking at and the top cocking bolt is now very hard to pull out of the bolt.

I disassembled the marker looking for what went wrong and didn't find anything that looked suspicious so I reassembled the marker and continued to shoot paint while looking at the rear of the marker where everything came from together. I noticed that every now and then the bolt would recock with enough force to cause the bolt to protrude out of the back of the marker and I also noticed a white mist coming out of the back also.

it looks like liquid co2 is making its way into the marker causing a violent recocking of the bolt. this violent force caused the bolt to slam into the back of the marker bending the cocking bolt and compressing the acs spring enough to send the rear of the bolt out the rear of the marker breaking the rear bolt cover off of the marker.

has anyone else had this problem with their spyder pilot?
do you think this damage is covered by the warranty?

NB_Hacker_NB
03-11-2006, 10:19 PM
This should be covered in your warranty. Call Kingman up or email them.

th3
03-11-2006, 10:25 PM
i sent them an e-mail yesterday only telling them what parts broke and asking where to get replacement parts. if they respond i guess ill ask about the warranty.

ooglieboogliebob
03-11-2006, 11:52 PM
if they're not free you could always make your own top cocking bolt, and you could just sand the back piece down .. so it's round and not jagged and sharp ...

sounds like blowback though ... try replacing the bolt o-rings and relubing it ...

maybe you could even find a bolt with o-rings in the front :)

druid
03-12-2006, 12:28 AM
chrono your marker...sounds like there's too much air going into it to recock it, causing the bolt to fly back with too much force. You should be LESS THAN 300 fps. 270-280 is the all-around, quasi-official standard.

If that's not it...shorten the back of your bolt by 1/2" if you can

th3
03-12-2006, 06:38 AM
it has the acs delrin bolt and has no orings/ no lube. the acs system runs through to the back of the bolt making it impossible to shorten the bolt.

i had the marker set at 270fps according to the chrono at our paintballfield(280limit). i had to cut a couple of coils off of the spring to get it down that low because with the adjustment knob backed out all the way it was still shooting over 300fps.

ooglieboogliebob
03-12-2006, 09:20 AM
try a new springkit then .. heavy valve, light main :) .. then that should do the trick

NB_Hacker_NB
03-12-2006, 10:21 AM
I have some of my 32* Springs left if youd like to pm me about it.

SupermanDan
03-22-2006, 09:06 PM
my friend had almost the same thing happen to his pilot acs. except the bolt wasn't bent or anything. his end cap was practically sheared in half. the wierd thing was, there were no signs of damage to the bolt or the inside of the gun. is this a common problem on new pilot ACS's?

Hob Hayward
03-23-2006, 02:23 PM
I suppose the lack of spring tension could have allowed the violent recock possibly? Buy a 32* spring kit like someone else said, theyre very useful, in fact, it'd be nice if all new markers came with spring kits...

druid
03-23-2006, 02:47 PM
I'd suggest that you take detailed pictures of the affected parts and forward them to Kingman so they can address the issue before someone gets seriously hurt.

ooglieboogliebob
03-23-2006, 04:19 PM
^^ very true ... unless you know what your doing ... and you know exactly whats wrong with it ... i'd send it to kingman

Dr.No
04-02-2006, 07:41 PM
I had the exact same thing happen today (bout 2500 balls since i got the gun). Im also starting to get silver wear lines through the body of the marker. Have you heard anything from kingman yet?

legman
04-05-2006, 10:04 PM
See my post broken dust cap. kingman sending out modified striker bolt. Will update when I see what modified means.

Sandman_Bravo
04-06-2006, 02:56 AM
I had the same thing happen:
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=2460

th3
04-14-2006, 02:37 PM
i have not heard from kingman yet. i need to follow up on this and get it fixed. its just sitting in the closet collecting dust.

Sandman_Bravo
04-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Give them a call:
Toll Free: 888-KINGMAN

bamf-hacker
04-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Yeah they are pretty good about helping us Kingman owners out. I called them for a simple question and they were very helpful.

HacKeR

Fets
04-19-2006, 06:51 PM
This is a super common problem with the Pilot ACS. I had them replace my bolt plug twice. They just didn't design them correctly and they keep breaking off. I was told they fixed the design and have put about a thousand rounds thru mine and it hasn't broke yet. The worst part is after the bolt plug broke off it started chopping paint really bad... too much flex in the bolt spring?

Cliffy Miracle
04-24-2006, 07:21 AM
This is a super common problem with the Pilot ACS. I had them replace my bolt plug twice. They just didn't design them correctly and they keep breaking off. I was told they fixed the design and have put about a thousand rounds thru mine and it hasn't broke yet. The worst part is after the bolt plug broke off it started chopping paint really bad... too much flex in the bolt spring?

Exactly...mine broke at less than 500 balls. Kingman sent one out the same day and I have not had any problems yet...

paintballman330
07-23-2006, 01:11 PM
i got my pilot just in time people where calling about the back of the thing were the bolt would hit now they dont make them with that no more when i got mine it didnt have it i was happy to cause i was worried it would break off and damage my gun

Satanclaus
10-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Sorry about bringing up an old post but the exact same thing as mentioned in the previous pages happened to me today, after more then 12000 balls shot, I received the back plate thingy right in the mask and I also noticed the bent cocking bolt.

The 1717A screw chipped when I tried to unscrew it, making the removal of the cocking bolt almost impossible..... Atleast I can't loose it now :D

Edit: A friend of mine also lost his cocking bolt on his Pilot

lost2
10-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Same thing happened to me today too, Can we say that the pilot Su*ks?

sidekick
10-09-2006, 07:14 AM
I wouldn't say it "Su*ks". It has a few design flaws. But over all is a great marker.
You don't need to remove the setscrew, 1717A, to get the cocking pin out. Just pull it straight up. A drop of oil and a little elbow grease it will come out. It will eventually eject on it's own. Another design flaw. the frame is to high and the pin is to low, causing it two to make contact and making the pin pop out.