PDA

View Full Version : Das Puppy

TheRedBarron
03-10-2009, 04:50 PM
So I took the girls to Petco to pick up some dog food for our doberman, Steph came along to help me handle the minions in a big store with lots of cute things... Anyway as we were walking in the door Steph pointed out a flier on the bulletin board advertising puppies for sale. Well the little ones heard that and HAD to see them, the breeders place was on the way home so I figured what is it going to hurt just stop by take a look let the girls see the puppies and be on our way... I dont know why but every time anyone thinks "what is it going to hurt" it generally hurts...

Ozzy, purebred Australian Cattle Dog/Hellion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/xxximyourfatexxx/Ozzy7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/xxximyourfatexxx/Ozzy8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/xxximyourfatexxx/Pup5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/xxximyourfatexxx/ozzy9.jpg
(yes a coat.. that is Stephs doing)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/xxximyourfatexxx/wallcopy.jpg
He is really a great pup dont let me fool you, just busy as all gettup, and with the girls chasing him around the house and playing with him, and tearing things apart, he has really become the center of the household. However he is helping me teach the girls responsibility as they have to feed him, get him water, and help clean up after him etc. We will see how it goes, he is coming up on 12 weeks old now. And has replaced Elmo as the girls favorite toy.

If I can find the time I would like to train him for Search and Rescue, I just cannot see being able to devote that much time and effort into him right now, we will see.

irishwarrior
03-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Great to see you again! And that is quite a cute puppy you got there!

ferret15
03-10-2009, 05:06 PM
you have a pet goose! oh wait nvm.
cute dog.

marvin-martian
03-10-2009, 05:15 PM
haha, he looks like hes going to become a very nice dog.

bamf-hacker
03-10-2009, 05:24 PM
TRB that is a very very cute puppy!

TheRedBarron
03-10-2009, 05:59 PM
So the living area is free of kid toys currently (something I have been trying to do for ages), I had to tell the girls that they had to pick up their toys and put them in their rooms or the puppy would chew them, its kind of scary how similar kids toys are to puppy toys...

And thanks guys, he is pretty cute when he isnt running through the house with my slippers.

ferret15
03-10-2009, 06:03 PM
lol but the slippers keep him from attacking your feet!

TheDarkShadow
03-10-2009, 06:18 PM
puppies are awesome

ferret15
03-10-2009, 06:47 PM
except when they pee in the house =[

TheDarkShadow
03-10-2009, 06:52 PM
it's ok because they're cute

xsvly-fat
03-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Cute dog, love the black and white picture.

bigred76
03-11-2009, 02:45 AM
I saw the thread title and figured it was you, Matt. :tongue:

Nice puppy! Beware of the herder bred into him, though... he's going to be a big hassle when he decides that the girls are the herd. A good friend of mine owns an Australian Shepherd who loves to herd anything and everything that can or does move. He's so persistent with horses that despite being kicked and flying through the air, kicked and lost a tooth, and being stepped on, he still goes at it to this day. Them Australian dogs are well bred for their purpose!

Nader
03-11-2009, 03:58 AM
Hi pup!

RSX99
03-11-2009, 04:06 AM
Good lookin cat eater.

TheRedBarron
03-11-2009, 08:30 AM
I saw the thread title and figured it was you, Matt. :tongue:

Nice puppy! Beware of the herder bred into him, though... he's going to be a big hassle when he decides that the girls are the herd. A good friend of mine owns an Australian Shepherd who loves to herd anything and everything that can or does move. He's so persistent with horses that despite being kicked and flying through the air, kicked and lost a tooth, and being stepped on, he still goes at it to this day. Them Australian dogs are well bred for their purpose!

His breeding comes from a long line of house dogs, I was aware of the herding instinct when I went to the breeder, but they have over 20 cattle dogs there, as well as 2 horses, and I was amazed that none of the dogs ever made an attempt to herd the horses.

As far as Ozzy goes, he has been a little bit dominant towards the girls but so far mostly just running off in front of them and barking to redirect them, no teeth so far, He knows that I mean business about the teeth, he nipped at me a good bit when we first brought him home... it was nothing that a quick trip to his kennel didnt solve. He really loves them, he will run from one room to the other if they call him. I have been keeping a close eye on his heeling ability though, dont want those little puppy teeth to grab one of their ankles, I would never hear the end of it from Steph.

HelpDeskHustler
03-13-2009, 09:16 PM
awwwwwww da puppah!

Hoppy11
03-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Very nice looking dog Matt.

I think I just added another dog to my list to consider for when i settle down after college. How is the personality of him/them?

DFSniper
03-14-2009, 09:32 AM
hey matt, out of curiosity, if he gets in trouble, does he get Das Boot?!?!? :p

marvin-martian
03-14-2009, 10:16 AM
haha. dont ship him out to sea =[

TheRedBarron
03-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Very nice looking dog Matt.

I think I just added another dog to my list to consider for when i settle down after college. How is the personality of him/them?

The blue ones are ugly as hell to be honest, check them out, the red healers tend to have a cleaner look to them.

As far as temperament goes, the cattle dog is known for its loyalty to his friend, they dont deal too well with having a master, and training is best done with mutual respect rather than harsh punishments. As puppies they are not that great around children until you get their bite instincts under control, I watched him very very closely around the kids until I was sure that he would be calm enough to play with them. Naturally they were bred with Dalmatians, Australian Dingo, and a Shepard from the main land (extinct now) so they really range as far as looks go, he got a lot of the dingo look, which I like a lot. They grow to be a strong stocky dog, and do not deal too well with being left alone, they are certainly a "best friend" kind of dog and want to be with someone all the time. they are incredibly smart, he already knows, his left and right, how to shake both his left and right paw on command, lay down, roll over, up, speak, and DAMMIT NO! ( the last one was a mistake I think.) he is only 12 weeks old on the 17th, I have spent a good bit of time with him, but really no more than I did with our doberman and she was much longer learning stuff like that. The personality itself is what I love about them, they love to play, do tricks, or work, really depends on what you want out of the dog. I have seen this breed as champion frisbee catchers, herders, show dogs, service dogs just about anything really. Overall this is a dog that will want to please you, and be with you all the time, and as long as you treat it like it is a friend and not like a slave, the things you can do with it and teach it are endless.

TheRedBarron
03-15-2009, 07:56 AM
hey matt, out of curiosity, if he gets in trouble, does he get Das Boot?!?!? :p

Das Kennel

Hoppy11
03-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Why are we going German for an Australian dog??

And thanks for that description Matt, sounds like a very nice and fun dog. I don't plan on having children right out of college so I will only have to worry about the biting haha. I will defiantly have to check them out, wish I knew someone who had one that lives a little closer to me than you so I could be around one.

TheRedBarron
03-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Why are we going German for an Australian dog??

And thanks for that description Matt, sounds like a very nice and fun dog. I don't plan on having children right out of college so I will only have to worry about the biting haha. I will defiantly have to check them out, wish I knew someone who had one that lives a little closer to me than you so I could be around one.

check out www.kodaranch.com they breed them up here and have a ton of different looking ones. Other than that, you should see one first hand to really appreciate them, just like any other breed really. The dobe is not such a fan of his puppyness and youth haha.