PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the Striker buffer?

ketzer
03-06-2009, 11:36 PM
I was wondering... could you replace the striker buffer with, per say, a wide spring? The striker slamming against the buffer while the gun recocks is what causes most of the kick (i think so). Do you think it would work?

Thanks.

oldironmudder
03-07-2009, 03:32 AM
I have ran Spyders with & without the buffer & could never tell the difference. Nor could I tell if anything good or badd happened internally. Now putting an extra spring in the liower tobe may cause some problems with recocking.

extrabonez
03-07-2009, 08:10 AM
i dont notice any difference between my spyder w/ a buffer or my viewloader without a buffer. but i think if you got a wider spring it would nt fit in the striker and it would have to be on the tapered edges i think.

bigred76
03-07-2009, 12:58 PM
A striker buffer is there to help the rear cap from getting damaged. Give it enough time without one, and it very well could destroy your back cap.

ketzer
03-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I know.

But do you know if a wide spring will work? Theoretically, it will stop the 'slamming' of the striker into the bugger, and instead have it almost 'glide' back into position. I am not worried about operating pressure or anything else.

DFSniper
03-07-2009, 04:49 PM
A striker buffer is there to help the rear cap from getting damaged. Give it enough time without one, and it very well could destroy your back cap.

you know, i was never a fan of "i gotta have a striker buffer!" but after teching an 08 sonix today, i changed my mind. he was shooting hot last time he was at the field, so they clipped his spring. my friend and i went to check out his gun, and we found out that the cap wouldnt come out. well, after manhandling it with a strap wrench (didnt want to mess up his anno) we finally got it out. he didnt have a striker buffer and the striker was hitting the cap. the little U shape that holds the quick strip pin was bent up so far that it jammed against the body and was almost impossible to come out.