PDA

View Full Version : Need some pc help

UKwithPride
02-23-2009, 05:20 PM
So about 3 weeks ago my computer started to act up. it would crash atleast 1 time every 2 days, then progressed to 1 crash a day, and when i'd try to restart it, i'd get a post error of 1 long beep, 2 short beeps which is a video card or monitor error, no biggie, i'd give it a tiny wiggle and it'd start back up. then it'd start crashing around 2 times a day. and just last night i come home from work, turn it on, and it did nothing, no "No Signal" message on the screen, no beeps, NOTHING. all the fans and everything were running. I strip it down to just CPU and PSU and mobo, no beeps or anything. I tested the CMOS battery and PSU also and both were working. I've yet to get my hands on another computer to test the video card. When everything is plugged in, NOTHING happens still. As soon as i pull the graphics card out slightly, to where it still runs but half way out, i get the error again, 1 long, 2 short. I'm stumped as to what's wrong with it. I'm thinking the mobo has finally gone. Any insight on this?

RSX99
02-23-2009, 11:01 PM
I believe you have to troubleshoot with 1 stick of memory to post.

UKwithPride
02-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Booting with no ram will give you an error still. I flashed te cmos battery and tried again, got a long beep which was better than before. Threw in one stick of ram and the harddrive, got the 1 long beep 2 short, video card error. Threw the video card in and back to square one, NOTHING. I just need to find another pc to make sure.

durrell
02-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Sounds like you've narrowed it down to the motherboard to me.

Hob Hayward
02-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Sounds like it, I would check the ram though. Try it in another computer.

Also be aware that booting without ram is impossible, you won;t even hit the bios.

UKwithPride
02-24-2009, 08:59 AM
Sounds like it, I would check the ram though. Try it in another computer.

Also be aware that booting without ram is impossible, you won;t even hit the bios.

i did it to see if the motherboard would even throw an error because it had no RAM in it, and it was successful. lol.

And durrell, it's either the video card or the mobo. Because it still throws errors out without the video card in it but as soon as i throw the card in it stops. which just baffles me. i have a friend that I'm gonna see if I can put my card in his computer, hopefully tonight.

UKwithPride
02-25-2009, 02:35 AM
FIXED! It was the video card =]
Now i'm running an EVGA 8800 GTS