PDA

View Full Version : Reformat Question

Team Ramrod
02-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Alrighty, so i know the basics behind what im doing so that's not a problem but i may have ran into a snag. I'm attempting to reformat Vista on my laptop and right now through my school i have a free version of windows vista business (through a legit program my school puts on, no pirate bounty here) that i will have to burn the ISO onto a disk and use as my boot disk. So not a problem there but what leads me to reformatting is a few problems the computers has been having, one with the cd/dvd drive. I sent it into get repaired while under warranty and they sent it back saying the connection between the mobo and the drive was shot and the drive wont work. So, i went out and bought a USB External Drive and have been using it. Now there in lies the rub. Will the Bios boot sequence see this drive if its usb. I need the ISO disk to reformat and install so i need the drive.... will it be recognized, and where would i find an option to get it to boot from the USB Drive. Think it will recognize it as the CD/DVD drive now that the mobo doesn't see the other one?

tl;dr: can i use a USB CD/DVD drive to reformat if the internal drive is shot?

Thanks for your time guize! :o

edit: i have Vista Home right now, goin to the business if it makes a difference. I know they have different install systems....

bigred76
02-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Hrm, it goes from BIOS to BIOS depending on the manufacture if it'll boot or not. Plug in a USB thumb drive (nothing special on it) and hit F11 as the computer's booting up. See if it's an option.

If you're more technologically inclined, go into the BIOS and bump the USB up on the boot list if it's there.

If it's on either of those places, then you probably could do it just fine so long as the USB is on top of the boot order.

DFSniper
02-04-2009, 03:32 AM
go into your bios and see if your motherboard supports plug n play USB. most newer ones do, but i'm not sure about laptops.

weitjosh
02-04-2009, 06:40 AM
yea do wut df said, im faiarly sure it goes over to laptops. i know if i try to restart my comp with my ipod plugged in it tries to boot from the ipod. which was the reason i have started my new trial project.....

Team Ramrod
02-04-2009, 11:52 AM
awesome, in the bios boot sequence there is an option for USB CD/DVD so im hoping that what i need.

Thanks, i'll let you know how it goes. Just need to track down a blank DVD :P

Team Ramrod
02-05-2009, 10:02 PM
another question:

what should i do about drivers? I dont have manuals with me or the stock disks because im at school and all of that stuff it back home. Should i trust the windows driver cache or go through the device manager and pre load a bunch onto a disk or something?

first time doing this so i just want to make sure everything goes smoothly.

durrell
02-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Load Gparted up onto a USB to reformat.

If you have a premade laptop then search for drivers online and go ahead and try to store them somewhere. Vista is pretty good about finding drivers on its own once it has an internet connection, though.

Team Ramrod
02-06-2009, 10:14 AM
why do i need Gparted? as far as I've read Vista takes care of all the reformatting that i would need to do. The drive is split into 2 equal partitions so i could make it one big one, but i'd rather have the two...

Just curious, first time i've done this so im sure you know a few things i don't. Thanks D.

edit: all the drivers i've found are for WinXP. its an Acer 5100 that im putting Vista Business on. I'm guessing all the drivers should be supplied then if i dont see them on google...

durrell
02-06-2009, 12:20 PM
I didn't read the first post.

You should be fine letting Vista format the drive.

These should be what you need:

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal20.cfm?website=AcerPanAm.com&siteid=7117&areaid=2&formid=3394#results

Just make sure you download the Vista versions and not the XP.

Team Ramrod
02-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Alrighty. Everything went smoothly. Hopefully this will clear up some issues I've been having. Thanks for your guizes help. :)