PDA

View Full Version : Partitioning in vista...

badlandsrox
01-29-2009, 01:15 PM
So I have a 500Gb HDD on my computer, about roughly 300 are used so far, and I am trying to set up a partition to install Windows 7.
Here is where the problem starts... Every time that I try and set up said partition through Vista's computer management thing, I have to do the "Shrink Volume" thing which is fine, but every time I try and do that, it will only allow me to shrink it at most 1Gb, what gives?

Drefish99
01-29-2009, 01:43 PM
I would use a partitioning tool like gparted or partition magic. Then when you actually install the OS's let them reformat those partitions. You might need something to control the boot sector.

durrell
01-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Gparted is awesome.

But if I was you I'd just use VMWare Server so you don't have to mess with it.

bigred76
01-29-2009, 02:27 PM
The reason behind that problem is simple: Vista retardedly puts it's immovable blocks right in the middle of the drive. The GParted LiveCD is the only safe way I have found to resize it.

HelpDeskHustler
01-30-2009, 07:43 AM
i don't think you can install vista and 7 on a partitioned drive together easily, or at least IF you do, one will never run until the other is gone.

there are some workarounds but a lot of devices won't allow dual booting between two windows os. I ususally use Easy BCD for dual booting.

Drefish99
01-30-2009, 08:39 AM
What I would do if you are able is to load windows 7 on an older cheaper hard drive just to test and swap drives as oppose to partitioning and loading OS's natively on the same machine.

You can also let Linux control your dual boot by using Grub. Well triple boot in this case.