PDA

View Full Version : No snipers in paintball???

jim762
01-25-2009, 03:44 PM
A few of my team mates decided to play in a speedball tournament today. Now I know a lot of people play speedball and woodsball, but one of the guys has never stepped foot on a speedball field before. Thats not unusual either but, what made everyone stop and stare was the marker he used:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm140/jcbrower/IMG_7931.jpg

A fully mil-sim'd X7. The best part is they won the first game of the day and 4 more after that. 1 game short of 3rd place. And they say there are no snipers in paintball!!!!:lolsign:

XSiv Force
01-25-2009, 04:18 PM
haaaaaaaaa

Modded-Like-Hell
01-25-2009, 04:58 PM
lol

XSiv Force
01-25-2009, 05:00 PM
I'd do it tho

Modded-Like-Hell
01-25-2009, 05:06 PM
same here

DFSniper
01-25-2009, 05:12 PM
ive done it. but with my mr1.

Paintball Freak
01-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Who says they're no sniper's in paintball?! lol
I always hated it when people said that... I know a few snipers personally, and I have played with them long enough to know that they are a VERY important part in any style of game played...
Not to mention sniper's always have some of the best looking guns. lol

XSiv Force
01-25-2009, 05:43 PM
well let us count out who......um......red

Kunithrayin
01-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Sniping is awsome. I don't really have that great of a gun or anything but I've gotten more kills snipining than playing any other style. It's safer, and people underestimate it so they don't worry about that guy way back there and then they get shot in the back. I love it.

slim and shady
01-25-2009, 06:23 PM
think you all know where I stand on the sniping issue

ferret15
01-25-2009, 06:31 PM
can i have a quick rundown on where you stand?

i think that a traditional sniper doesn't exist, rather a pb sniper is someone who can stand alone and quitly elimite his oppents fairly undetected. it would have to be at closer range where 1 shot and barrel tags are easy. multiple enemys are taken out quickly and if because of the nature of pb enough firepower must be availible to get out of a stiky situation. he is loner in appearance to most player because he is the one person he can rely on. but a key player in a team because with out the team he would be hunted. A good team allows him to hide in the shadows untill called upon. and when the sniper fufills he duties the damage is devastating whether he was bait or did the killing.

thats what i see a sniper as

oh i definatly do not think agree with sitting in the back and shooting. thats just cover fire, somebody watching the guys up front asses. sniper is a little more challenging and not everybody can pull it off

slim and shady
01-25-2009, 06:47 PM
A sniper in paintball to me has alot of different rols anyone who has played this role in a larger scenario knows this. There are times when you dont get to shoot squat not even if you have the perfect shot (about 100ft away from a conceiled position taking your oponent in the back, head shot junk is BS this is paintball accuracy is an issue) you just stay put conceiled and relay to command VIA radio troop movement and massing of troops. If a paintball sniper has the oprotunity for a silent kill via barrel tag it is a must, not to mention you get points for capture. Also to me with the addition of equiptment like the Apex the long shot is also possible. Lots of your "missions" are to take out specifics, inspite of what people may think this doesnt mean commanders ect as there usually with a large group so its not practical, but rather demolitions experts, engineers ect. You may be asked to stay at a key location where your armor crossess to the enemys side to "protect" the bridge from demolitions experts. If you lose the bridge you could lose the game so sniping can be a huge part of the overall outcome of any milsim scenario event. A time or two we were even asked to shot down remote controle airplanes(special ones ment to be shot with a marker dont know the make so dont ask!) in an attempt to take control over the airport. I play the sniper role alot, and have effectivly held areas dorment and considered impassable for hours. I think that sums it up

ferret15
01-25-2009, 06:53 PM
thats sounds like a good description. i play smaller games with far less people than a large scenario. but its my favorite position to play when we get to have enough people to have 2 larger teams.

i definatly dissagree with with kuniththrayin

jim762
01-25-2009, 07:01 PM
I didn't post this to have the great "sniper in paintball" debate, we've been there before. Everyone has their own opinion on the subject. I posted it to show my team mate using his X7 in a speedball match. We all thought it was amusing. I'm not putting him down by any means. he did sit behind the bunker and shoot people as they ran across the field. I'm not flaming any one for debating the subject either, just want to set the record straight as to why i posted this.

But since the debate has begun once again, here are my 2 cents. I agree with Slim, a paintball sniper is not a sniper in the traditional role. (ie. long range silent kill, no one knows where it came from). I think its more of a 1 man ambush role. Sit and wait until the enemy comes in range and take them out. Just my opinion.

slim and shady
01-25-2009, 07:04 PM
:yeahthat:

theres sniping as a verb and sniping as a noun.

I think DF said it best.

Kunithrayin
01-25-2009, 07:05 PM
A sniper in paintball to me has alot of different rols anyone who has played this role in a larger scenario knows this. There are times when you dont get to shoot squat not even if you have the perfect shot (about 100ft away from a conceiled position taking your oponent in the back, head shot junk is BS this is paintball accuracy is an issue) you just stay put conceiled and relay to command VIA radio troop movement and massing of troops. If a paintball sniper has the oprotunity for a silent kill via barrel tag it is a must, not to mention you get points for capture. Also to me with the addition of equiptment like the Apex the long shot is also possible. Lots of your "missions" are to take out specifics, inspite of what people may think this doesnt mean commanders ect as there usually with a large group so its not practical, but rather demolitions experts, engineers ect. You may be asked to stay at a key location where your armor crossess to the enemys side to "protect" the bridge from demolitions experts. If you lose the bridge you could lose the game so sniping can be a huge part of the overall outcome of any milsim scenario event. A time or two we were even asked to shot down remote controle airplanes(special ones ment to be shot with a marker dont know the make so dont ask!) in an attempt to take control over the airport. I play the sniper role alot, and have effectivly held areas dorment and considered impassable for hours. I think that sums it up

That is called recon.

ferret15
01-25-2009, 07:06 PM
yeah sorry about that.

slim and shady
01-25-2009, 07:09 PM
part of it is recon not all of it. but before all this turns into the same old same old, im checkin out latter guys.

xsvly-fat
01-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Was the guy in the picture you...

That is pretty funny haha.

police_brutality
01-25-2009, 07:48 PM
i dont consider pb sniper has the tradition sniper, i think of them has sharp shooters

Paintball Freak
01-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Well to think about the fact that we are all shooting at the same FPS, our range is going to be relatively the same. But here is the definition of sniper;

1. A skilled military shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place.
2. One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.

Normally we think that sniping is always from far distances, but that isn't always the case. Its just that if your farther away, you are probably more concealed from the enemy. So like a few of you have already mentioned, staying back from the front lines and knocking people off is more like support fire for the front line men. So when you put a "sniper" on a speedball field, its not really sniping, its just like back up fire. Because you can't really "sharp shoot" in a speedball field, almost anyones marker can reach the other side of the field. But, IDK, just offering my take on it.

bigred76
01-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Since I must put words in for a post to put this in: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/bigred76/30a6b0e1.gif

*sigh*, what the hell, might as well. If you think that being a little girl and sitting hidden in some clump of bushes "sniping," waiting for me to casually and stupidly just walk by is the most efficient way to defeat a faster, bigger, stronger, and smarter opponent... good luck. I'll see you off to the deadbox.

For the original intent of this post by Jim: Rofl. :roflmao:

jim762
01-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks Tim, I'm glad a few people got the intent of it. Now I know not to mention the word "sniper" again. :rolleyes:

bigred76
01-25-2009, 11:29 PM
DFSniper surprises me in that he didn't goad me into posting. Whoops, said "sniper" again... :dodgy:

Yeah, this thread's way OT at this point.

jim762
01-26-2009, 01:48 AM
I think it went off topic about 10 posts ago.

xsvly-fat
01-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Since I must put words in for a post to put this in: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/bigred76/30a6b0e1.gif

*sigh*, what the hell, might as well. If you think that being a little girl and sitting hidden in some clump of bushes "sniping," waiting for me to casually and stupidly just walk by is the most efficient way to defeat a faster, bigger, stronger, and smarter opponent... good luck. I'll see you off to the deadbox.

For the original intent of this post by Jim: Rofl. :roflmao:

I don't think they do the deadbox thing in woodsball and I would so snipe you with my Tippmann with 16 inch barrel and 3x12 powered scope :dodgy:

bigred76
01-27-2009, 12:04 AM
You won't need that scope... I'm right up in your Grills (yes, pun intended) from the moment the ref says "go." :dodgy:

It went way off before that, prolly the end of the first/start of the second page, haha.

jim762
01-27-2009, 03:42 AM
You won't need that scope... I'm right up in your Grills (yes, pun intended) from the moment the ref says "go." :dodgy:

It went way off before that, prolly the end of the first/start of the second page, haha.

LOL!!!!!:nutkick:

Didn't realize this thread has gone to 27 posts. I figured it would last a day and be dead....:doah: I should have known better.

jim762
01-27-2009, 03:55 AM
So when you put a "sniper" on a speedball field, its not really sniping, its just like back up fire. Because you can't really "sharp shoot" in a speedball field, almost anyones marker can reach the other side of the field. But, IDK, just offering my take on it.

I know i'm getting myself in this deeper and going off my own topic, but here it goes. So your saying that a guy standing in the back shooting slow deliberate shots, with a mechanical semi automatic trigger, at people as they move is the same as someone shooting an electronic trigger bunkering some one?????? And a sharp shooter is different from a sniper. Once again, the whole intent of the post was a humorous look at my woodsball teammate playing speedball with a fully dedicated milsim X7. This post went on long enough, we need to stop beating a dead horse.

xsvly-fat
01-27-2009, 08:14 PM

Ouch... Ok I give, you win.

vikingshadow
01-28-2009, 05:04 AM
Actually, if a topic that makes it to 3 pages isn't off topic in this forum, I'm surprised.

So your saying that a guy standing in the back shooting slow deliberate shots, with a mechanical semi automatic trigger, at people as they move is the same as someone shooting an electronic trigger bunkering some one??????

May I beat the dead horse a bit more?

No, it's absolutely not the same. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet. If, during a SPEEDBALL TOURNAMENT, a guy with a gun that big and heavy is one balling and picking people off constantly enough to almost take third place, then the other teams were NOT doing their job and deserved to lose. In most tournaments I played, he may have gotten away with that (MAYBE) in the first game, but after that he'd have been a target right off the bat. One guy laying paint on him and his bunker and that sniping problem is solved. At the very least, he'd have never been able to poke his head out without getting hit. Also, he must have been pretty close, because it's extremely hard to one ball someone moving 15-20 feet at a dead run from bunker to bunker.

I do understand your idea of "sniping" as you posted it, and props to you for making a funny! :D But, everyone else in here in their off-topicedness (yes, I invented a new word. Learn it, use it, love it!) ignored the obvious flaw in his playing style, haha!

Oh, and I'm not giving my opinion on "sniping" in paintball because I don't want to further the discussion. You old school KUSA guys should know my opinion on that and I stand by it.

TheRedBarron
01-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Actually, if a topic that makes it to 3 pages isn't off topic in this forum, I'm surprised.

May I beat the dead horse a bit more?

No, it's absolutely not the same. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet. If, during a SPEEDBALL TOURNAMENT, a guy with a gun that big and heavy is one balling and picking people off constantly enough to almost take third place, then the other teams were NOT doing their job and deserved to lose. In most tournaments I played, he may have gotten away with that (MAYBE) in the first game, but after that he'd have been a target right off the bat. One guy laying paint on him and his bunker and that sniping problem is solved. At the very least, he'd have never been able to poke his head out without getting hit. Also, he must have been pretty close, because it's extremely hard to one ball someone moving 15-20 feet at a dead run from bunker to bunker.

I do understand your idea of "sniping" as you posted it, and props to you for making a funny! :D But, everyone else in here in their off-topicedness (yes, I invented a new word. Learn it, use it, love it!) ignored the obvious flaw in his playing style, haha!

Oh, and I'm not giving my opinion on "sniping" in paintball because I don't want to further the discussion. You old school KUSA guys should know my opinion on that and I stand by it.
QFT (yeah I just did that)

Personally, guy "sniping" from a can in the back corner, no problem, have my snake lay down a little paint on the close side of his bunker and make my move straight down the tape, bunker him, then slowly pick off the rest of his team because they wouldnt know I was there due to the fact that any team who thinks they can snipe in speedball, probably isnt communicating that well either.

I miss paintball.

vikingshadow
01-28-2009, 10:16 AM
:( I miss it, too.

Paintball Freak
01-28-2009, 04:15 PM
On my field, Tippmans are so common that you would only get weird looks if you walked onto the field with an Electric Marker. lol = P

bigred76
01-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Bring it on. ;)