PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading MR1 (inside and outside)

Zandor
01-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Hello,

I am upgrading my MR1 to make it better. I just start yestarday by buying a 14inch J&J barrel. Now, I'm asking question;

- Expansion chamber; I don't really understand how it work honestly, but I want to know if its really useful, which one you recommand and the price?

- Stock; I'm checking the JCS folding stock, and it cost like 80$ with shipping... Not free for a stock! I want to know if someone try it and if someone have something to recommand that gonna offer mask clearance.

- Spring; better change it? Something recommanded?

- Red dot; really useful? I tried a military scope of good quality, with zoom and others tricks, but it was useless; never have time to use it... Its only binocular on your sight. Red dot is more useful? Or something else?

- Electronic loader; I don't shoot really fast and I break rarely balls( mayde 3-4 on 500), but should I buy one, which one is good and... cheap!

- I forgot something that can be useful to increase the quality of my gun?

Thank you all for your time and you can refer me to other threat if I asking again what someone already say...

Nicolas

TheDarkShadow
01-25-2009, 12:37 PM
expansion chambers give room for co2 to expand, dont worry about an expansion chamber, get a reg if you really want, a lot of people use female palmers stabilizers, but they are expensive

for the stock- i would cut the top bar for better clearance

spring- get a spring kit, they are cheap

red dot- not neccesary, not many people actually use them other than just for looks

electronic loader- a must, eggy2 or 3 (evolution) is good for the price

also i would suggest getting a better feedneck- ccm is a good choice

slim and shady
01-25-2009, 12:51 PM
for the expansion chamber first we need to know if you use HPA or Co2 if you use HPA dont bother with one, if you use Co2 it allaws a longer period of time for the co2 to transform from liquid to gas. This makes it easier on your orings and seals and also helps keep your gun from freezing or spiting out frost at high rates of fire. You said you shoot slow so dont bother with one.

I dont really like the folding stocks durability wise, I personaly like the saw stock, commando stock carbine stock ect. but again this is personal taste get what you want.

grab a 32* spring kit they are a must in my opinion, they also come with valve springs not just the main spring you can buy them real cheep on the BST's all the time.

Red dot sights arent that useful unless your in an ambush situation where you have all day and no one is shooting at you, buy time you aquire your target he has already shot you.

for the loader grab a cheep old revy that would be plenty considering you dont shoot fast so basicaly you just want to make sure there are no plugs like you get with a gravity loader so the revy would be lots. or you could try the q-loader for a more milsim look but there a little pricey

a clampring feedneck is always a great upgrade, I would grab that and if your not already using HPA switch to that.

Kunithrayin
01-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Stock- Just cut the top bar off of the one that came with the gun

Spring- Spring kit

Red Dot- I have one and love it. It gives you a consistent point to aim with and after you play with it for a while you can really start sniping people without ever having to get close. If you do deside to get one I would strongly recomend a riser rail. I have the spyder Mr series riser and it works great for me. Again though it's really personal preference and how much you think you'll use it.

E-loader- if your chopping 3-4 balls per 500 then you def need a better loader. Get something cheap but sturdy.

TheDarkShadow
01-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Eggy 2 > http://www.actionvillage.com/014-9080

probably the best hopper for $40

Zandor
01-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Hello,

do you have any place to get the 32 degrees spring kit? I only find 2 sites and one bugging to hell when I want to command...

For the E-hopper, thank you, look like a good deal

I don't use HPA, because I often play outside and organise events, so its more easy to have a CO2 tank there than something for HPA.

Thank you!!

TheDarkShadow
01-25-2009, 06:44 PM
the good thing about HPA is that it doesn't matter what the temperature is unlike with CO2

slim and shady
01-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Everyone is different to me, HPA is just as nessissary(SP) of an upgrade as an aftermarket barrel, if not more important. But for the most part im at a corse so I can see if you have trouble getting the product doesnt make as much sceance.

sneekypete
01-25-2009, 07:12 PM
If you local shop can fill you bottle you can still use HPA. The only time I play at a field is with Shady at YPG for there senarios and I play every Sunday (not in the winter). I do have to go there every week to fill but you would have to do that with Co2 as well. Unless you or your freinds have a fill station. I'm with Shady HPA is important for cosistancy.

Zandor
01-25-2009, 07:18 PM
So,

If I have to choose between a E-Hopper and HPA, you gonna say HPa because; more accurate, protect the gun from freeze, ... ?

I want to know the quality of it

thank you all for your response

Nicolas
P.S. Do you know good Canadian online shop?

TheDarkShadow
01-25-2009, 07:19 PM
HPA is probably one of the best upgrades I have done, I got a cheep 48/3000 for $40. I will never use CO2 ever again unless it is my only option.
why I will never use CO2 ever again:
1. it is affected by weather
2. you can't really tell how much is in there
3. it's not as consistant
4. it's a dirty gas so it's a little harder on your marker
5. you can use it on any marker

EDIT: www.badlandspaintball.com

Zandor
01-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Whats the difference between 3000 and 4500 PSI on the performance?

Whats the difference in term of quantity of shot? (One for the other, but with CO2 too)

Nicolas

TheDarkShadow
01-25-2009, 07:58 PM
CO2 isn't as consistant between 3000 and 4500 is the presure they can take (4500 can hold more air)

sonik
01-26-2009, 06:20 AM
http://www.paintballgear.ca (http://www.paintballgear.ca/default.php?currency=CDN)

They have been pretty good so far... shipping is reasonable and I don't get zinged by customs... I had a problem with an MR-1 I got and they shipped me a replacement valve body for free. I thought that was worth using them again.

P.S. Do you know good Canadian online shop?

Zandor
01-26-2009, 12:07 PM
But I can't find the 32 degress spring kit on any of theses Canadian's shops. If someone have others goods shops, I am open!

What's the utility of the front valve? Its the only part I didn't open in that time, because I don't really know the utility...

So, the priorities are HPA, E-Hopper, spring kit... Nothing else inside that can be change for better performance?

Thank you all for your time

sonik
01-26-2009, 05:01 PM
By the front valve I am guessing you mean the knob that sticks out of the body under the barrel.

Be careful when doing anything to the valve as it is the back bone of your marker.

It is where the pressurized gas is stored for your 'next shot'. A small amount is released from this chamber made up of the valve plug, the marker body and the valve body, held closed by the cup seal. The valve pin, when struck by the hammer/striker, releases gas up into the chamber to project the ball out of the barrel.

I have seen quite a few damaged valves in my time due to someone poking around in the marker with screw drivers and such... I personally use wood dowels to remove valve parts as clean wood tends to be kinder to valve faces and seals than any hardened metal tool could ever be.

With regards to another upgrade, a regulator/stabilizer seems to be favoured. I have had mixed results over the years with the lower end regulators and I think I will be springing for a high-end Palmer stabilizer, as where I play there is no ready HPA source... we pack in CO2 and all our gear to get there.

I may get a scuba tank this summer and a filling station but that is a lot dollars and weight to be packing into the bush...

What's the utility of the front valve? Its the only part I didn't open in that time, because I don't really know the utility...

So, the priorities are HPA, E-Hopper, spring kit... Nothing else inside that can be change for better performance?

Thank you all for your time

DRCeccato
01-26-2009, 06:16 PM
http://www.canadianpaintball.com/main/index.htm
http://www.paintballadventures.ca/scenarioonlinestore.html
http://www.premiumpaintballproducts.com/en/index.html
http://secure.gwnpb.com/home.php

Those are the other canadian stores I've found online. Looking through inventory, none of them carry the 32* spring kit. I actually ordered mine from the states with a bunch of other stuff so it was worth shipping over the border.

slim and shady
01-26-2009, 06:18 PM
phone tactical paintball talk to Fiona chances are they have the kit its just not listed on there web page alot of there stuff isnt.

Angman19
01-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Zandor, where are you in Canada? I am in Vancouver and might be able to help you out with some parts that will make a difference.

I have a 14 inch Stiffi excellent accuracy with most paints .689 bore
I also have the infamous Palmers regulator that everyone raves about
And for internals:
Maddman Rocket Valve
Alamo City Lightweight Delrin/Steel striker
And Alamo City Delrin anti-chop Terminus bolt

I picked up all the parts wanting to make my new MR1 one of the best non electronic markers out there for woodsball as a backup but found that my TM7 never fails me anyway.

sonik
01-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Yeah Fiona has been really cool. Tactical Paint ball, paintball gear, megapaintballstore are all the same place. Ask for Fiona as she can get you parts they don't list.

phone tactical paintball talk to Fiona chances are they have the kit its just not listed on there web page alot of there stuff isnt.

Zandor
01-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Hello,

for your part, it could be interesting. I come from Quebec. How much you selling that and I could be interessed

Zandor
P.S. If someone have opinion on the parts he is talking about, don't be shy!

Angman19
01-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Zandor,

You can do some quick research on the parts I mentioned at www.pbreview.com

I think most will agree that all the stuff I mentioned is top quality and recommendable. Improvements will be noticed and not just for looks.