PDA

View Full Version : Otterbox for iPod (Review) (large photo warning)

TheRedBarron
01-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Okay so I know that I haven't been around much lately but this is a product that has really caught my eye so I figured I would write up a full review as that is the only way I can really do it justice.

What is it? it is the most functional case I have ever seen for the iPod, It is not pretty, and it certainly is not meant to accessorize your iPod, its sole purpose is to protect your music library from just about anything you can throw at it. I'm not kidding, anything. I have extensively tested this thing since I got it, I own a 120gb iPod classic (it is full, which is why I didnt get an iTouch in case you were wondering) I use it mostly with a pair of mid level Sony headphones (mostly because I don't like putting my Sure headphones at risk of water damage)
http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m374/mattcharettephotography/inside.jpg

The case is made of a polycarbonate material, they come in clear and a few solid colors as far as I am aware. They can be purchased at www.otterbox.com

It hinges at the top, allowing you to slide the iPod into it and into the mini jack plug at the top allowing you to plug your phones into the waterproof headphone jack on the top of the case.
http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m374/mattcharettephotography/Minijack.jpg
http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m374/mattcharettephotography/loading.jpg
http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m374/mattcharettephotography/top.jpg

the case seals shut using a thick gasket to complete the seal, and a locking tab to tightly secure it. It is waterproof up to 3 feet (according to them, I have had mine at about 5 with no problems)

The version that fits the iPod classic comes with a foam insert (with a sticky back) so that you can customize the fit a little, it fits the original iPod classic 160gb, the thicker 80gb all the way down to the new and much thinner 120 gb classic (tested). It is a pretty snug fit at first with the foam installed, but after a little while it loosened up so that nothing moves when opening/closing the case. When inside the case your iPod feels like a very small Walkman (yeah remember those?) but you quickly appreciate the fact that your iPod is now all but bomb proof. The clickwheel works almost as good as normal, it is a little lagged due to the fact that you are touching it through a thin piece of polycarbonate. The screen is pretty glare free and easy to read, the headphone jack on top of the case is a little tight, this is not a mistake as the case is meant to be used in extreme conditions you will find that if for some reason you drop it (don't worry its okay, try it) your headphones will not come unplugged. On the back of the case are 2 posts that allow you to attach an included belt clip (or a number of accessories that Otterbox offers) the clip itself seems pretty light duty but it certainly serves its purpose, the iPod can be hung upside down by just the belt clip and it can be shaken pretty vigorously before it unclips from the belt or what have you.

Overall this thing is... tough. I can almost promise that it can take whatever you have to throw at it. The dock connector is not accessible as they could not make it work within their target price range. But I mean who is going to be docking their iPod in conditions that would make you need the case? Like I stated before its not a everyday case. But if you want tunes during some 1v1 speedball, or want to do some eyesight only drills, or if you plan on bombing down a mountain (summer or winter) hell maybe you want music while you go water skiing, rock climbing, hang gliding, snowmobiling, swimming/diving, ATVing, skateboarding...etc. Then this what you need to keep the music flowing.

Mine has been used in -20F (they claim its good to -13 or so, again they undercut themselves)
http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m374/mattcharettephotography/Otterbox.jpg

it has been dropped, submerged...
http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m374/mattcharettephotography/water.jpg

kicked, thrown, and as you can see from the photos it has barely phased the case, let alone the iPod.

They also make similar cases for the iPod Nano, touch and shuffle (not sure why you need a $50 case for a $50 MP3 player honestly.)

They come at a hefty pricetag compared to other iPod cases (around $50). And as previously stated they are pretty large (5.5"x 3"x1") compared to just toting around a uncased iPod
http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m374/mattcharettephotography/stacked.jpg
http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m374/mattcharettephotography/sidebyside.jpg

but considering what it can do compared to other cases out there, you are basically looking at the price to make your iPod virtually indestructible.
certainly something to look into.

Fire away questions I have this thing mostly to test, so if you have any questions that the review doesn't answer or just want to know if it can do something, ask away.

Sorry for the blue hue in some of the photos, shotty lighting

DFSniper
01-22-2009, 06:57 PM
great choices in music. best zepplin album too. :up: but i was expecting some kind of :otter: based chat application. misread "ipod" for "iphone". oh well, i dont own either one :p

TheDarkShadow
01-22-2009, 07:01 PM
that is a sweet case

ferret15
01-22-2009, 07:03 PM
excellent review, other than the fact i don't own an iPod i'm sold.

my only question is are you somehow involved in the manufacturing, distribution and/or seller of this product? i just find it an odd article to all of a sudden post a review for a unique product.

TheRedBarron
01-22-2009, 07:06 PM
excellent review, other than the fact i don't own an iPod i'm sold.

my only question is are you somehow involved in the manufacturing, distribution and/or seller of this product? i just find it an odd article to all of a sudden post a review for a unique product.

Haha no I am not involved with the company in any way shape or form, I was up late last night and started writing the review to post in a mountain bike forum and figured my friends here would appreciate it as well.

You dont know me do you?

DFSniper
01-22-2009, 07:06 PM
its happened before. and im pretty sure matt has too much on his plate right now to do something like that.

i wish they had one for my Dell Jukebox....

edit: matt, excuse him, he's new :p

ferret15
01-22-2009, 07:10 PM
well thank you for the review, it was very well done.

yeah, i'm fairly new to have been registered here. i have been lurkering this site for years but never bothered to register

TheRedBarron
01-22-2009, 07:15 PM
well thank you for the review, it was very well done.

yeah, i'm fairly new to have been registered here. i have been lurkering this site for years but never bothered to register

Haha its fine, I havent been around much for a year I guess I deserve the skepticism.

durrell
01-22-2009, 08:58 PM
I have an Otterbox for my Blackberry and it is by far worth the money. They make great products.

TheRedBarron
01-22-2009, 10:09 PM
I have an Otterbox for my Blackberry and it is by far worth the money. They make great products.

I havent used any of their other stuff, but after having this for about 6 months and seeing first hand what it can do I am sold on the brand.

Muddytaco
01-22-2009, 11:29 PM
I was looking for something just like this, I am always afraid I am going to take a bad fall on my bike and smash my touch, this would be perfect. O even better they have a arm band attachment to, that will work nicely while working out. I think I am going to have to pick one up.

TheRedBarron
01-22-2009, 11:35 PM
I was looking for something just like this, I am always afraid I am going to take a bad fall on my bike and smash my touch, this would be perfect. O even better they have a arm band attachment to, that will work nicely while working out. I think I am going to have to pick one up.

That is why I originally wanted one, that and snowboarding is hard on iPods.

Keep in mind that when biking on public trails it is good trail etiquette to only listen to music with the ear that is away from traffic and at a level low enough to hear your surroundings. :p

colonel_moo
01-23-2009, 09:19 PM
I've come to the conclusion that no matter how much you baby your ipod, it will break anyway. I had a gen 5 for about 3 and a half years, never dropped it, never even took it running or used it during any physical activity that could have shocked the HD, but it still broke (logic board failure). So i bought a 120 gig, and its not in a case. I'm gonna leave it up to fate.

TheRedBarron
01-24-2009, 04:22 AM
I've come to the conclusion that no matter how much you baby your ipod, it will break anyway. I had a gen 5 for about 3 and a half years, never dropped it, never even took it running or used it during any physical activity that could have shocked the HD, but it still broke (logic board failure). So i bought a 120 gig, and its not in a case. I'm gonna leave it up to fate.

leaving it up to fate is one thing, but putting your iPod through rain, snow, mud, extreme temps, submerging it, etc. is just asking for failure. I dont baby mine either, just dont see the sense in buying a new one everytime I go out on my snowmobile or drop into a halfpipe. Technology fails, its the nature of the beast, I think the goal is to not help it along in doing so.