PDA

View Full Version : We Now Have a New President of the United States of America

TheDarkShadow
01-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Congradulations to our New President, Barack Hussein Obama. Although many of us are not happy about this, we should respect him as the leader of our country

DFSniper
01-20-2009, 09:41 AM
i'll retain my judgment until i see what he does and is capable of doing.

Modded-Like-Hell
01-20-2009, 09:48 AM
im gonna have to agree with DF

marvin-martian
01-20-2009, 09:58 AM
i want him to be a good president, i really do. i hope he is able to make this country a better place.

ferret15
01-20-2009, 10:01 AM
i'll retain my judgment until i see what he does and is capable of doing.

qft

He promises a lot, lets hope he can deliver.

RSX99
01-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Can't be worse than 'ole Bushypoo.

oldironmudder
01-20-2009, 11:58 AM
qft

He promises a lot, lets hope he can deliver.

Thats right. Anyone can say anything, but its only after their actions happen that it matters.

bamf-hacker
01-20-2009, 12:10 PM
You all had a choice, but it was not today, it was on election day. If you did not vote you have nothing to say. (unless you are not old enough to vote that is)

DFSniper
01-20-2009, 12:11 PM
or ineligible... :(

Paintball Freak
01-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Not very happy about him as our President at all, but, the Bible tells us that we should pray for our leaders, so then, I think we should all respect him as the President of the United States. But his election just goes to show you where America's at. Not doubting that he will do his job as President, but it just seems like he's been saying that he's going to save our nation in this time of war, and stock market crisis. But not much can be said until we see how he does. No one knows.

LostCause
01-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Well I'll be praying for him and hope he does a good job, but only history will tell the truth...

Hoppy11
01-20-2009, 03:17 PM
I really hope he does a great job too, because we need it. I have already heard things contradicting himself though about pulling troops from Iraq but then deploying more to Afghanistan and possibly the Gaza Strip. So the troops aren't in Iraq but they are still over seas.. doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but I still hope he does good. Oh, and I didn't hear this straight from him but sources.

TheRedBarron
01-20-2009, 04:09 PM
I really hope he does a great job too, because we need it. I have already heard things contradicting himself though about pulling troops from Iraq but then deploying more to Afghanistan and possibly the Gaza Strip. So the troops aren't in Iraq but they are still over seas.. doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but I still hope he does good. Oh, and I didn't hear this straight from him but sources.
First of all pulling the troops from Iraq, but deploying more to Afghanistan is something that needs to be done. The people of Iraq no longer want us there, and their government feels as if it is ready for us to leave. Iraq will never be a peaceful place if the US is there, whether or not they are controlled by a Tyrant or a organized government the "gangs" and Insurgents are still deeply infiltrated into the network, so there will always be a level of corruption going on there. Us being there is just causing more troubles. While the Afghani people need us right now, they need someone to come in and settup some sort of legitimate government for them, we do not need to be in Afghanistan long to do a lot of very good things there. As there is not a whole lot of resistance anymore.

From a political standpoint it makes sense, the US is being seen as a bully right now, Bush using force in places that it should not have been used, and in ways that it shouldn't have been done has really created a bad name for the US. If we can help out the global economy some, by helping settup and industrialize a very weak nation, and if we can help stop the very un-needed attack on gaza (which may only take us saying that we are willing to go over and support them to make the attacks stop, we may not even need to deploy), I think that we can get some sort of global image back, and that is how our economy will start to stabilize, and a time of peace for the US can be started. This will save us billions in military budget cuts.

So I understand the move that he is saying he is willing to make, And I think that even if he is not the best leader for the situation, the cabinet that he chose is more than capable.

This is my first and last ever political post on these forums.

Paintball Freak
01-20-2009, 04:24 PM
The thing is, its really not a matter of, well he might be a good president. Its more like, we have no other option. He's our president now, there's nothing thats going to change that, so don't try to bring him down, pray for success under his presidency, and also remember that no matter who becomes president of what nation, God will always be the ultimate authority. It was obviously God's will that Obama made it to the White House, so obviously God is going to work his plan out of all this.
Obama HAS be a good president, because if he doesn't fix our nation, then we are going to be in some pretty big trouble...

SpyderMan723
01-20-2009, 04:45 PM
I thought he was a d-bag in the beginning. but listening to him speak kinda changed my mind

nastystankweed
01-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Although I do not live up in America,I must say that today I was proud to be an American. We elected a African American, we all saw history today. It really shows how far this country has come. I was for Mccain but listening to Obama speak inspires me. Regardless if we like him or not we should all pray so that he has a successful presidency. We are in a major hole right now, Iraq, economy, Afghanistan, Russia, Venezuela. It will be tough , but I trust that leader to bring us out of this.

Sandman_Bravo
01-20-2009, 05:07 PM
I sure didn't vote for him.

vikingshadow
01-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Respect: to show regard or consideration for; to hold in esteem or honor. To show that you care for a person or the position a person is in enough to do what is requested of you by that person.

I didn't vote for him. I felt my views to be different than someone I felt had a "golden" tongue - in my experience, that's usually ALL they have. He's a great speaker, but I've heard a lot of great speakers in my day. I prefer to wait it out and see if he follows through with his talk of "change."

However, as I've been trying to teach my 5th graders this week, respect doesn't mean you have to like someone, but you MUST respect his position as the highest elected individual in our country no matter what shape it's in. You respect a teacher for their position, a principal, your boss, your parents, a preacher, a fireman, a policeman, the president of the United States and the Shah of Iran and the chief of the tribe of back jungle natives who've never seen a white man before, simply because they have the position they have. Do you have to like them? Nope. Not at all.

So, my position is that I will respect the office of the Presidency and I will definitely give him the chance that he deserves as the president of my country. However, I reserve the right to complain and moan every bit as much as those Bush haters did when they perceived Bush screwing up (no, I don't agree with the "Bushypoo" comment above and it's amazing at the short memory voters have when they praised Bush not once, but TWICE when he was elected and reelected. Lest we forget it was CONGRESS that did most of the screwing up, heaven forbid we blame the right entity) and definitely reserve the right to say, "I told you so." Along those lines, I also reserve the right to eat my own words if I'm wrong, which I hope I am.

We MUST remember that there is NO WAY Obama can do what he said on his own. Our government is a 3 headed entity, and if any of the other heads are in dissent, you can bet it's not going to happen the way he wants it to. I, too, have been disappointed in his choice of cabinet members (sorry, but with a large number of Chicago appointees and the state of Illinois politics, well, you see where I'm going with this.) Then he's backed down on his "commitment" to repeal the Bush tax cuts immediately and just let them die off on their own next year which has got his party's Nancy Pelosi up in arms, and now his talk of leaving soldiers in Iraq now until their own government takes over in 3 years...

So, here's to the next 4 years - lets hope it gets much better and that Barry O does his job.

Edit - and I DO wish the media would back off his scrotum a bit. I'm sick of seeing television specials, books, interviews, "testimonials", movies, what have you. Do you realize Wal-Mart has a whole set of posters just for Obama? I have NEVER seen anything like this in my 43 years...the media has given him a membership to godhood and he hasn't done a damn thing yet.

Edit 2 - I personally don't put stock America's doing to the right thing as in we finally put a "black man in office." Sure, it's big deal. However, if the person is qualified, does the right thing and gets elected - well, that's the way it should be, not America made a big step. Maybe it's because I don't look at him as being black. I don't know.

HelpDeskHustler
01-20-2009, 05:38 PM
I would agree with vike's second edit. Everyone is saying it's a big deal that a black man is the president, but I think it'll be a big deal when it ISN'T a big deal that a black man is the president.

TheDarkShadow
01-20-2009, 06:05 PM
I would agree with vike's second edit. Everyone is saying it's a big deal that a black man is the president, but I think it'll be a big deal when it ISN'T a big deal that a black man is the president.

isn't he only 1/2 black anyway?

TheRedBarron
01-20-2009, 06:06 PM
isn't he only 1/2 black anyway?

since when does it matter?:rolleyes:

TheDarkShadow
01-20-2009, 06:17 PM

it really doesn't but everyone is making a big deal about him being black but he's as much black as he is white

bigred76
01-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Hahaha. Just hahaha. This whole thing's funny to me. Who gives a crap if he's black, yellow, brown, white, green, or blue? Well, I take that back, if he was blue I might have an issue with him.

battlechaser
01-20-2009, 06:49 PM

Well put, the world does have a good ways to go toward TRUE equality though, but it's a start, I doubt something like this would've been possible even 5 years ago. I'm just hoping it isn't going to be like when Canada got it's first and only female Prime Minister, that didn't go so well...

DFSniper
01-20-2009, 06:55 PM
to be different than someone I felt had a "golden" tongue - in my experience, that's usually ALL they have. He's a great speaker, but I've heard a lot of great speakers in my day. I prefer to wait it out and see if he follows through with his talk of "change."

thank you. 90% of political speeches are made to appeal to the masses. i stopped taking things a face value a long time ago.

and i kind of have to agree with matt. contrary to what the media is trying to tell us, there IS progress over there, but if we want to restore some sense of normality, we need to let them take full control. but we cant all hand it over at once. the Shi'ite population still wants revenge for what they went through under the Sunni government.

DFSniper
01-20-2009, 07:00 PM

personally, it wouldnt matter to me except that thats what half his election was based off of. think about it, if some mexican ran, he's use his racial background to gain support from all the mexicans in the US. and not to mention that he's only 1/16th black, which doesnt legally qualify him for preferential (for lack of a better term at the moment) treatment. i hate how everyone made it out that "if you dont vote for this 'black' guy, you're racist" which is a bunch of BS. like tim said, black, blue, green, purple, it doesnt matter. i just hope he runs this office cleaner than his election propaganda...

TheDarkShadow
01-20-2009, 07:08 PM
personally, it wouldnt matter to me except that thats what half his election was based off of. think about it, if some mexican ran, he's use his racial background to gain support from all the mexicans in the US. and not to mention that he's only 1/16th black, which doesnt legally qualify him for preferential (for lack of a better term at the moment) treatment. i hate how everyone made it out that "if you dont vote for this 'black' guy, you're racist" which is a bunch of BS. like tim said, black, blue, green, purple, it doesnt matter. i just hope he runs this office cleaner than his election propaganda...

well put DF

xsvly-fat
01-20-2009, 07:53 PM

QFT

He is a good speaker but anyone can talk. He made alot of promises so we'll see how many he keeps.

durrell
01-20-2009, 08:29 PM
IF..

He manages to do all the things he has promised without further widening the racial gap and without destroying every moral foundation our country and Constitution stands on, then he will most definitely have my respect. The country needs change, he is most definitely spot on with that. However, the type of "change" he ends up bringing may or may not be welcome to me. I did not vote for him, however I can tell you that I am praying FOR him, not AGAINST him, and it is my hope that he turns out to be the best president ever in terms of morality AND political issues that need to be addressed..because we NEED that.

I just hope some people (ahem Rev. Jackson) can be mature about it and not attribute his accomplishments to his skin color..the last thing this country needs is a further gap between races.

vikingshadow
01-21-2009, 05:03 AM
I agree, but with the current media theme and what we're hearing on a daily basis (ie, grateful people who think they will get EVERYTHING now because of him), it's going to be next to impossible to avoid living smack in the middle of the gap between races.

A few years ago, I won the Wal-Mart Teacher of the Year award for this part of our state which was a pretty big deal. It's voted on by students and parents, so I was extremely pleased. However, the award itself was marred. The woman who had won it the year before had really messed it up - she entered herself in parades, wore that ugly blue smock EVERYWHERE, introduced herself as "The Wal-Mart Teacher of the Year", just generally made it so that it didn't mean anything to teachers around this part of the state.

When I won it, teachers were calling me up and emailing me laughing. So I had the distinct honor of 1.) being the first guy AFTER she ruined it, and 2.) being the guy to make it a prestigious award again. Unfortunately, it was a case of can't win for losing.

I see the same thing happening with Obama and the race issue. What I see is that he a.) does a great job and people will throw race into it (see, we told you we needed this!) or b.) he'll take us down a bad path and the other side will throw race into it (see, we told you we shouldn't have this!) The issue itself may cool off, but it will come right back again when he leaves office. Of that, I guarantee.

We are still a LONG way from total equality, unfortunately.

Sandman_Bravo
01-21-2009, 06:33 AM
I don't care if the president's skin color is green; as long as he's a good president! The share the wealth thing scares the hell out of me, personally. Btw, I think Colin Powell would make a great president.

shunut
01-21-2009, 06:56 AM
I think the only way we are ever going to get away from looking at him as a Black or White or Blue or Pink or Purple President is if YOU stop making it an issue. I couldn't care less what color he is, also couldn't care less whether you think that his color is going to make any difference in the grand scheme of things. I don't think Obama made that big of a deal about him being black during his campaign, I think the people around him made a big deal about it, but not him. Was it a deciding factor for a lot of people when they voted for him? Yeah, probably (it shouldn't have been), but the vote is in the past, nothing we can do to change it now. So the only reason the color of his skin is going to be a deciding factor here is if you make it one.