PDA

View Full Version : Nerf swords. Fun.

HelpDeskHustler
01-19-2009, 05:54 PM
TLDR pre-write: scroll to links
So my college buddies and i were at walmart and we periodically check the nerf section for various products to fund our wars, when we came across possibly the best idea ever:

The nerf sword. (Nerf N-Force Thunder/Lightning Fury Sword)
Upon investigation (hitting eachother with them) they seemed sturdy, well padded and very much worth the 11 dollars walmart was charging per sword.
We got back on the bus that takes us back to the dorm, little did we know the dorms were now coliseums for our gladiator nerf fights.

The first of our fights were conducted using large disk sleds (ref shields) for shields with a large mass of duct tape to hold them on our arms. These proved to be dangerous after the first 3 fights (filmed ones) because of how we used them to shield bash eachother. Also the hard plastic tore up the nerf material, requiring us to duct tape them to hold them in one piece (the foam works great sword to sword or sword to person or sword to cardboard... not so much on hard plastic) these first few fights were a bit awkward, but i hope to have more up soon. we're a bit better now, although after about 30 fights between 18-19 year-old "children", as my girlfriend called us, yielded one broken sword across the face of another participant.

Shield fight 1: short video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TojsVfP7Pa0
I won, a quick hit to the face after quite a few missed swings led to my victory, luckily vfoce grills have weak ears according to my friend.

Shield fight 2: longer video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O6KGQdGQhY&feature=channel
My shield design was superior, ultimately leading to his disarmament and ultimately a strong hit to the ribs, winding and making me victorious.

Shield fight 3: medium video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovlxkR-0uAU&feature=channel
A much better fight in terms of form, my shield leg was too far out, but my small stance allowed for good fighting, unfortunately he eventually found this flaw in my armor and hit it repeatedly. It's like having a charlie horse twice in the same spot on your thigh. I was limping for a bit. Yes, we were asked to stop by the RA who was with his GF... we continued after he went out partying, at like 1am, no vids from there :(

XSiv Force
01-19-2009, 06:04 PM
odds those girls will go out with you: 0%
odds that this will grow larger : 99.999999967%
odds that i will start this in Auburn: 200%

I was laying in bed watching this and laughed soo hardi rolled out

HelpDeskHustler
01-19-2009, 06:05 PM
My girlfriend was filming :p she likes seeing me get beat up
Oh! I failed to mention that these swords are a brand new hasbro/nerf product series called "N-Force", their guns are "N-strike". If we're lucky they won't hear about the awesome welts I have and they'll make more sizes and sell them like hotcakes. Amazon has them for 24 bucks now, but i know for a fact walmarts have them for 11 and targets around 14, low stock everywhere.

DFSniper
01-19-2009, 06:06 PM
its times like these that make me wish i wasnt living at home...

XSiv Force
01-19-2009, 06:07 PM
its times lioke these THEY are lucky i dont live in a dorm

HelpDeskHustler
01-19-2009, 06:15 PM
we're making our rules entail cardboard, duct tape and swords only, and no clothing thicker than 1/4 inch. If these swords get recalled, I'll make them from pvc and pipe insulation

DFSniper
01-19-2009, 06:16 PM
lol.

it reminds me of this week-long art program trip we went on my sophomore year of HS. me and 2 guys from school in a youth hostel. there was a party going on downstairs, but none of us liked rap, so we decided to chill in the room. guys next door brought out their amp and cd player and decided to break dance/screw around in the hall. so we were chillin, screwing around (of course, this was all on camera. a video that i have yet to see, lost contact with the guy filming.) my jewish friend pops out of the room with "hey guys, look at my yarmulke!" which was a paper cup with a rubber band around it, just as the head guy comes walking down our hallway. cameraman was crouched with his back turned, manages to set the camera down, and we got the whole lecture/ass chewing on why we shouldnt be doing that and if we wanted to party to party with everyone else on film. man i wish i knew where that vid ended up.

marvin-martian
01-19-2009, 06:20 PM
i still wish i could participate in something like this. looks right up my alley, and i would dominate. im sure of it. im coming up there. have an extra bed?

XSiv Force
01-19-2009, 06:20 PM
If these swords get recalled, I'll make them from pvc and pipe insulation

NO, No they just recaleed a violent toy so people will go and buy pvc and insulation and beat each others brains out............:spank: .......I'll make mine look like the William Wallace sword from Brave heart...............:dodgy:

DFSniper
01-19-2009, 06:32 PM
claus, what you need are lightsabers. they sting a little more :D

xsvly-fat
01-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Wow that is really funny. I was laughing so hard when I watched the 3rd video haha.

durrell
01-19-2009, 10:08 PM
That looks like so much fun.

Muddytaco
01-20-2009, 12:15 AM
claus, what you need are lightsabers. they sting a little more :D

Don't forget about the wicked awesome noises!

TheDarkShadow
01-20-2009, 07:59 AM
that is really funny

ferret15
01-20-2009, 10:18 AM
awesome toy, i wish i had when i was a little kid. way better than stick fighting. to a literal extent even.

being involved in martial arts i at one point found my way into Eskrima or stick fighting, Kali, ect. my friend and i would actually would make demo's to the point were we would break our real weapons:D eventually someone brought action flex weapons. Expensive they are. but totally badass toys.

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/default.aspx?TabID=145&q=actionflex

you can take a hit to the face from these guys:D

HelpDeskHustler
01-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Its not fun if it doesn't hurt.

TheDarkShadow
01-20-2009, 11:18 AM

that's what she said...

sorry, I had to

ferret15
01-20-2009, 11:36 AM

i know what you mean but there are just to many wimps out there that complain about getting hit

xsvly-fat
01-20-2009, 08:03 PM
that's what she said...

sorry, I had to

Oh wow haha that was really good.

HelpDeskHustler
01-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Oh wow haha that was really good.

thats what she said :dodgy: I figured it had to be done since you guys can't contain yourselves

on a thread note: Have you guys actually used "actionflex" weapons? I'm reading reviews that say they don't really hurt and bend too much. These nerf swords are pretty rigid, if we move to a more durable model it needs to match the sting that these cause. we were looking at "smakstiks" if anyone has any experience it would be appreciated. also we're looking into padded shields and real helmets.

LostCause
01-21-2009, 02:37 PM
odds those girls will go out with you: 0%
odds that this will grow larger : 99.999999967%
odds that i will start this in Auburn: 200%

I was laying in bed watching this and laughed soo hardi rolled out

ROLLL TIDE! all i have to say (im going to Bama :P)

and nerf swords are fun..till your friend pulls out a nerf gun and shoots ya :P

especiialypsycho
01-21-2009, 04:39 PM
my brother and i were looking to pick up some of these, think i can buy some off you? the targets and walmarts in my area never have them

HelpDeskHustler
01-23-2009, 12:57 PM
my brother and i were looking to pick up some of these, think i can buy some off you? the targets and walmarts in my area never have them

we broke one, so we'll go back to walmart and check for them... www.smakstiks.com is what i'm looking at for permanent gladiator club. i heard actionflex don't hurt a lot.

battlechaser
01-23-2009, 04:33 PM
.... I am legal age.. and have an arsenal of like 20 foam swords left over from my buck and doe... I think I know what we're doing this summer... :D:D