PDA

View Full Version : ok im new to the site

thebrow
01-04-2009, 11:44 AM
whats up everyone? im new to the site, sorta new to paintball. i had a pump gun back in the day. but i just lost interest cause everyone had way better guns. now acouple buddies of mine got lower end spyders (sonix) and are bugging me to play. i would really like to get back into the sport but with the bad economy i dont have much money to spend on a new hobby. although i know ill love it. i was looking at package deals online cause the shops around my house wont put a package deal that is comparable to the ones iv found online for the prices.

i think iv narrowed it down between the pilot acs package or the vs2 package
http://www.pntball.com/?sck=1840614

am i gonna get all junk stuff in the package besides the marker? iv shot a sonix, pilot, and victor.

if anyone can give ma alittle advice that would rock the dudes over at pbnation blew me off and were kinda jerks that were not willing to help a brother out!

thanks again:dancingman:

ferret15
01-04-2009, 12:27 PM
08 Electra or the RS/RSX all the way

i wouldn't recommend the ACS or the vs2 at the moment unless you get one for less than 50

thebrow
01-04-2009, 12:39 PM
most of the stuff iv read about the pilot acs and the vs2 were good. any reason you wouldent recommend them? even with the rest of the stuff in the package you still wouldent?

DFSniper
01-04-2009, 12:49 PM
hmm, if you're worried about the economy, i would stick with a mech or a pump. but if you want to keep up with your friends, i'd get the pilot or electra.

from the link you gave, the VS2 deal would actually be a much better deal than the Pilot one.

FredPo
01-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Welcome to the best forums on the internet. I haven't shot a spyder in about 4-5 years so it's hard for me to direct you in the proper way but WELCOME! You'll find a great friendly environment and more help than you can stand.

Fred

especiialypsycho
01-04-2009, 03:05 PM
good job helping him Fred :P WElcome! and by the links provided id have to agree with DF on this one, go with the Vs2

bigred76
01-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Speaking of wonderful, helpful, people... the first and best one to post in this thread has arrived! :dodgy:

If you're really worried about spending money and keeping it down to a minimum, pump really is the best way to go. Get a nice one and you will use about a half case per day. Comparing that to my usual 2-3 cases with one of my EP's......... yeah. I'd sugest a Hammer or Traccer, or other marker similar. Just make sure to keep it clean and it will shoot as straight and as accurate as any mech or EP marker. Also, with the Hammer and Traccer (and their variants), they have an autotrigger function (hold down the trigger and just keep pumping). You should be able to keep up with any average rec player once you get good at it. :)

Modded-Like-Hell
01-04-2009, 04:46 PM
WELCOME!!! ???PBNation??? dont even bother there...you came to the right forum, everyone here is friendly and will help you out... the VS2 package is good cuz it comes with a HPA tank whick is a plus

here are a few kits that i looked up for u that are kind of cheap since economy is got you pinned down...they are all spyders and range form all prices 200 and down.

click here 1 (http://www.actionvillage.com/010-214-0052)

click here 2 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyder-Electra-EYE-Electronic-Marker-Combo-Gun-Package_W0QQitemZ120355374679QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120355374679&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

click here 3 (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Blk-Red-Spyder-PILOT-ACS-Paintball-Marker-MEGA-Set_W0QQitemZ390015645516QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item390015645516&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308)

click here 4 (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KINGMAN-07-SPYDER-EXTRA-PAINTBALL-MARKER-PACKAGE_W0QQitemZ120358357200QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120358357200&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

click here 5 (http://cgi.ebay.com/KINGMAN-ACS-SPYDER-PILOT-GUN-TANK-LOADER-4-1PACK_W0QQitemZ200295016796QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item200295016796&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

click here 6 (http://cgi.ebay.com/KINGMAN-SPYDER-MR1-PAINTBALL-TANK-LOADER-MASK-PACK_W0QQitemZ200293235841QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item200293235841&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

TheDarkShadow
01-04-2009, 05:04 PM
to be completely honest, I wouldn't get a package. (I got one) and you end up upgrading the stuff you have, so you might as well buy it seperate.

This is what I would get:

Marker:
http://www.ansgear.com/08_Spyder_Electra_Paintball_Gun_p/kingmanspyderelecrta08black.htm
$170
Hopper:
http://www.actionvillage.com/014-9080
$40
Tank:
http://www.actionvillage.com/031-187-0001
$40
Mask:
http://www.actionvillage.com/020-143-0001
$30

Hossy
01-04-2009, 05:35 PM
I would suggest buying things used in the B/S/T section. You will get major discounts off the retail price, but once again the stuff is used. Just make sure people have posted up pics so you know what your getting. Welcome to the Forum! Check the Ultimate Resource Thread in my sig, it will help you out!

vikingshadow
01-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Welcome to the forums. Most of these jokers around here are pretty helpful and after you get used to them, almost bearable! :D

I kid, I kid. This is a great forum. I started here when I started playing and haven't regretted it a single day - after day, after day, after day...

deano 177
01-05-2009, 12:52 PM
I would suggest buying things used in the B/S/T section. You will get major discounts off the retail price, but once again the stuff is used.
That's what I was going to suggest. You can pic up really good stuff because people have upgraded out of their beginner stuff. I know it can be a scary thing to go in there and trying to research what good deals are. If you need help looking at stuff you can always ask one of the mods. they SHOULD be honest!:p :dodgy:

FredPo
01-05-2009, 06:52 PM
That's what I was going to suggest. You can pic up really good stuff because people have upgraded out of their beginner stuff. I know it can be a scary thing to go in there and trying to research what good deals are. If you need help looking at stuff you can always ask one of the mods. they SHOULD be honest!:p :dodgy:

Yes, the mods are great for recommendations. Might be careful with a few of them cause you could end of paying $200.00 for a purple sonix. Just kidding (It's a little inside joke). I don't think I've ever bought anything in paintball new. I always buy piece by piece and built it myself. Buying used is the way to go.

Fred

DFSniper
01-05-2009, 07:09 PM
fred, it was blue. you obviously missed out on its latest incarnation, a pump!

Modded-Like-Hell
01-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Yes, the mods are great for recommendations. Might be careful with a few of them cause you could end of paying $200.00 for a purple sonix. Just kidding (It's a little inside joke). I don't think I've ever bought anything in paintball new. I always buy piece by piece and built it myself. Buying used is the way to go.

Fred

wow

vikingshadow
01-06-2009, 04:04 AM
Ouch. You could at least have used the KY!

Ok, but I've got my 200.00 out of that BLUE sonix since then! :p Actually, I was offered 250 for the pump just about a month ago...

And to be fair - it was many years ago and I was a noobster then.

(PS: I know you were playing so I play, too! At least, I hope! :bugeyes: )

FredPo
01-06-2009, 05:41 AM
Ouch. You could at least have used the KY!

Ok, but I've got my 200.00 out of that BLUE sonix since then! :p Actually, I was offered 250 for the pump just about a month ago...

And to be fair - it was many years ago and I was a noobster then.

(PS: I know you were playing so I play, too! At least, I hope! :bugeyes: )

LOL, I did use the KY. Thought that was the least I could do getting a giggle at your expense. It's definitely all fun and games, no hard feelings. Feel free to take a stab at my old sn on here as Hossy does (imagination) and is actually still my sn on pbnation lol. A noob name for sure. And wow, I definitely missed that that sonix was blue because I really thought it was purple. In fact, the vision of that marker in my head is still purple for some reason. I guess that's what happens when you get married, buy a house, and work all the time. Memory starts to slip.
And yes, it's definitely fair you were a noobster. I won't mention how much I spend on my first imagine with upgrades. Lets just say I could have bought a really nice high-end marker lol. We've all been there at some point.
Back on topic though, you can't go wrong getting advice from Vike or any other guy here on Kingman. Before you buy something, don't hesistate to send a mod a message to make sure you are what you need and what fits your budget/aspirations for the sport.

And yes, I have missed out on Vike converting it to a pump. I can't believe how much the "pump scene" is growing in this sport.

Fred

thebrow
01-06-2009, 06:49 AM
as soon as my auction on gunbroker ends im gonna get serious about making a purchas! im super excited to get in the paintball scene. i got like 5 more days till the auction ends. so im gonna be all over the b/s/t threads

vikingshadow
01-06-2009, 09:15 AM
LOL, I did use the KY. Thought that was the least I could do getting a giggle at your expense.

That explains the stinging! You used that "His and Hers" stuff, didncha?!

It's definitely all fun and games, no hard feelings. Feel free to take a stab at my old sn on here as Hossy does (imagination) and is actually still my sn on pbnation lol. A noob name for sure. And wow, I definitely missed that that sonix was blue because I really thought it was purple. In fact, the vision of that marker in my head is still purple for some reason. I guess that's what happens when you get married, buy a house, and work all the time. Memory starts to slip.
And yes, it's definitely fair you were a noobster. I won't mention how much I spend on my first imagine with upgrades. Lets just say I could have bought a really nice high-end marker lol. We've all been there at some point.

Sure, I understand and I knew it was all in fun. Never let it be said I can't take some good natured kidding! That Sonix thing has certainly been a source of pleasure for years now...

Back on topic though, you can't go wrong getting advice from Vike or any other guy here on Kingman. Before you buy something, don't hesistate to send a mod a message to make sure you are what you need and what fits your budget/aspirations for the sport.

Definitely agree, but that goes for most of the guys here. This whole area is just full of good people!

And yes, I have missed out on Vike converting it to a pump. I can't believe how much the "pump scene" is growing in this sport.

Fred

Well, just travel your eyes on over to this thread (and to the link in my sig) and feast your eyes on THIS beauty, haha! http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=17878&highlight=pump+spyder

I absolutely love playing with this gun now. It's been used more than my Phantom, lately.

Modded-Like-Hell
01-06-2009, 10:37 AM
im gonna say it again...thats a nice gun

thebrow
01-06-2009, 10:50 AM
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=17878&highlight=pump+spyder[/url]

that is preaty sick! so is it just a diffrent challenge for you guys to go play pumpball once in a while? does everyone do that?

bigred76
01-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Not everyone does it, but I enjoy it on the side as well. Not nearly as smooth or as fast as my Angel, Borg, DM, or any of the others, but there's nothing like going out and pwning nubes with a pump. :D

DFSniper
01-06-2009, 12:54 PM
too much OT guys :P

as soon as my auction on gunbroker ends im gonna get serious about making a purchas! im super excited to get in the paintball scene. i got like 5 more days till the auction ends. so im gonna be all over the b/s/t threads

since this thread has gone off topic, i cant remember if you said or not, but what are you getting/selling?

bigred76
01-06-2009, 01:35 PM
He's thinking about a VS2 or Pilot ACS Package.

thebrow
01-06-2009, 04:26 PM
i think im going with the vs2 package. like i said as soon as i sell this rifle on gunbroker im making a purchas. but then again i dont think i need the package cause i do have a mask and tubes and a few other things in my parents attic somewhere. i guess really i need to decide if i wanna go with a co2 setup or not. im sure ill need a better hopper no matter what cause the one i got was fine for the old pump gun, but will it keep up with the vs2? hmmmmmmm

TheDarkShadow
01-06-2009, 04:33 PM
you'll want a new mask and a better hopper, you do not want Co2

spyderfan4271
01-07-2009, 02:21 PM
whats up everyone? im new to the site, sorta new to paintball. i had a pump gun back in the day. but i just lost interest cause everyone had way better guns. now acouple buddies of mine got lower end spyders (sonix) and are bugging me to play. i would really like to get back into the sport but with the bad economy i dont have much money to spend on a new hobby. although i know ill love it. i was looking at package deals online cause the shops around my house wont put a package deal that is comparable to the ones iv found online for the prices.

i think iv narrowed it down between the pilot acs package or the vs2 package
http://www.pntball.com/?sck=1840614

am i gonna get all junk stuff in the package besides the marker? iv shot a sonix, pilot, and victor.

if anyone can give ma alittle advice that would rock the dudes over at pbnation blew me off and were kinda jerks that were not willing to help a brother out!

thanks again:dancingman:

I had a vs2 and it is so easy and fun to really use a ton of paint. If your buddies are shooting sonix I would consider a autococker trilogy(sport, competition or pro). I know this is spyders forum but atleast i didn't suggest a smart parts! They are mech so you probably won't use more then whats in your feeder in one game. Will shot farther and more accurate then a sonix. Can be converted into a pump, runs on co2 or compressed air. I have played speedball against upped ions, mini's, angels and dm's with a sport(paid $41) a 2 egg and compressed air while using less half as much paint as them.

bigred76
01-07-2009, 03:07 PM
I had a vs2 and it is so easy and fun to really use a ton of paint. If your buddies are shooting sonix I would consider a autococker trilogy(sport, competition or pro). I know this is spyders forum but atleast i didn't suggest a smart parts!
Might I ask what is wrong with a Smart Parts marker? They did make the Evolution, btw, which was a 'Cocker, which is the type of marker you're recommending. :confused:

They are mech so you probably won't use more then whats in your feeder in one game. Will shot farther and more accurate then a sonix. Can be converted into a pump, runs on co2 or compressed air.
*sigh* If your gun is shooting farther than another marker, maybe you need to check your FPS unless you have a flatline or the like. :) Be safe, kiddies! Eyes aren't easily replaced! :eek:

I have played speedball against upped ions, mini's, angels and dm's with a sport(paid $41) a 2 egg and compressed air while using less half as much paint as them.
That can happen anywhere at any time. Does it make your marker better than theirs? No. Does it mean anything really in the long run? Not rly. You will win some days and lose others. Basing a choice on a marker is more about feel and preference than one person's one experience with one day of play. :)

While this is a Spyder forum, we are not so biased as to limit ourselves to just one brand or creed of marker. I own and have owned one of just about everything (Mini, Ice Epic, Shocker Sport, Viking, and a few others are about all that I haven't owned). The marker is not so much what matters. He said that the economy of the sport is a huge factor to his ability to play, meaning that an electronic marker is pretty much out of the question. ;)

To the OP, thebrow: Srsly, look into a pump rather than something like a VS2. A VS series marker encourages you to shoot more paint, whereas with a pump you'll end up shooting very little and having about the same amount of fun.

As for your old mask, the lens in it is probably bad. You can either pick up a new lens or a whole new mask. They cost about the same for either option, so I'd just get a whole new one.

For tanks: Ensure the hydrostatic test dates are good on any tank you are going to use or buy. Do not try to fill an out of date tank, even if it is only by one day. It is illegal to start with, and just plain dangerous.

Paintball Freak
01-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Hey, welcome to the forums! I found so much more help on Spyder Forums compared to places like PBN where if you even mention the word "Spyder" your mocked and called a noob. lol

Anyway, I know a few people who have a Spyder Pilot, but they always tell me if I'm gonna use it to be sure I'm carrying a barrel squeegee. lol.
Comparing a Pilot to a VS2, I would definitely recommend going with the VS2.
I actually might have a slightly upgraded VS1 for sale soon if you would be interested. With a VS1 you don't have to worry about HPA, you can use CO2.

As for hoppers, from experience, If you're are looking for something cheaper but still truly durable and reliable, I'd go with an Evolution 2 or 3 Hopper. I just sold in Evolution 2/3 Hopper for 20 bucks. I've seen them go cheaper. But don't let the price fool you, they're good hoppers, fast and reliable. = )

I would recommend buying stuff of the Sales thread here on the Forums.

Here's one of my Sales thread links. = )

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=18829

Good luck getting your equipment. My only regret in paintball was over paying for a paintball package, I learned to just wait because a good deal always slides by once in awhile, just keep your eyes open. = )

vikingshadow
01-07-2009, 06:50 PM
that is preaty sick! so is it just a diffrent challenge for you guys to go play pumpball once in a while? does everyone do that?

Not everyone does it, though I think they should once in a while. It's totally humbling and does feel awesome when you shoot out people who are dumping hundreds of balls on you. I remember the first time I shot out 3 guys in one game (5 v 5 game) with my Phantom - all of them shooting DMs, PMs, one was shooting my shocker, another was shooting an Evil Pimp (it was a team practice day.) The first guy was trying to bunker me and I shot him not once, but twice, in the chest as he ran up the field. The next guy thought he would run through on the other side while the first guy was bunkering me...I just stepped around the bunker and got him as well.

The third guy was in the snake and when I had stepped around the bunker I just bumped up and then gogged him from across the field - all with my pump. MAJOR cool points and the AH factor were showered upon me that day, furthering the legend that I became and am, haha! :cool:

It's totally cool to play pump because you'll probably be the only one doing it - you'll get your backside handed to you more often than not (I do get it handed to me quite frequently) but it makes you a smarter, tougher player - even when you go back to using a semi marker. Then, when you finally DO own those guys they'll respect you even more for it! (Oh, and hate you for it, to be sure!)

On topic, like BigRed said, I also recommend a pump if you're thinking economy. They're cheap, they're economical, and they pay for themselves in just one weekend of play. I go a full weekend on less than two bags of paint and a couple 3.5 oz tanks of Co2.

Oh, and Smart Parts is one of my favorite gun companies. I absolutely LOVED my Shocker and sometimes wish I hadn't sold it. Don't buy into the SP hate hype!

spyderfan4271
01-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Might I ask what is wrong with a Smart Parts marker? They did make the Evolution, btw, which was a 'Cocker, which is the type of marker you're recommending. :confused:

*sigh* If your gun is shooting farther than another marker, maybe you need to check your FPS unless you have a flatline or the like. :) Be safe, kiddies! Eyes aren't easily replaced! :eek:

That can happen anywhere at any time. Does it make your marker better than theirs? No. Does it mean anything really in the long run? Not rly. You will win some days and lose others. Basing a choice on a marker is more about feel and preference than one person's one experience with one day of play. :)

While this is a Spyder forum, we are not so biased as to limit ourselves to just one brand or creed of marker. I own and have owned one of just about everything (Mini, Ice Epic, Shocker Sport, Viking, and a few others are about all that I haven't owned). The marker is not so much what matters. He said that the economy of the sport is a huge factor to his ability to play, meaning that an electronic marker is pretty much out of the question. ;)

To the OP, thebrow: Srsly, look into a pump rather than something like a VS2. A VS series marker encourages you to shoot more paint, whereas with a pump you'll end up shooting very little and having about the same amount of fun.

As for your old mask, the lens in it is probably bad. You can either pick up a new lens or a whole new mask. They cost about the same for either option, so I'd just get a whole new one.

For tanks: Ensure the hydrostatic test dates are good on any tank you are going to use or buy. Do not try to fill an out of date tank, even if it is only by one day. It is illegal to start with, and just plain dangerous.

Whats wrong with smart parts? There is nothing wrong with sueing the rest of the industry out of business thats fine. As for distance I usually have a good bore to paint match, the marker was crono'd around 290fps. The closed bolt to me tends to straighter and maybe just seem farther then other mechs like tippmanns or spyders. And as for kiddies I am 40 years old! One of his main concerns was the economy so I tried to suggest something affordable, reliable and wouldn't require a electronic loader and compressed air to save him a few bucks.

thebrow
01-08-2009, 12:48 PM
well it says im not alloud to post attachments. i got some pics. nothing special. i could not find my original pump gun but i did find a tippmann 68-carbine. its just the gun no barrel no hopper. no biggy though right. i am super tempted to throw a co2 tank on it and see what happens. not try to shoot any paintballs but see what happens when its got pressure running through the lines. so what should i do next????? find a rebuild kit or something. someone gave this thing to me a long time ago and i never even thought about it. actually i stumbled across it looking for a hammer in the bottom of my tool box. i just want to start tearing this thing apart what should i do????

spyderfan4271
01-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Did you ever use it before or did someone give it to you. Tippmann 68 carbines are pretty reliable alot of fields used them as rental markers. If you had used this years ago with no problems I'd put 3 or 4 drops of paintball gun oil in the asa screw on a
tank and dryfire it. I had one of these years ago and never had to take it apart. You might find a informational sticky at pbnation and the forum section through tippmanns web site is very helpfull but maybe not as active as it use to be.

Griff
01-08-2009, 04:13 PM
I think the barrel threds are the same as an A-5 oil in the asa first is a great idea. I would get it up and running. Great to use, to save $ and still get to play.

thebrow
01-08-2009, 06:39 PM
total noob question................ where is the asa or what is it?

spyderfan4271
01-08-2009, 06:59 PM
It is what you screw the co2 tank into. When I got my carbine it would not fire so I dropped a few drops of pnuematic air tool oil. screwed on the tank and dryfired it(shot without paint). It worked fine after that. I had read in the tippmann forum were guys who didn't have marker oil used air tool oil.

Griff
01-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Hoppes was recomended by Tippmann for my 68 that I owned 9 years ago

bigred76
01-08-2009, 09:08 PM
NEVER use Hoppes or any other gun oils in paintball guns. It is not designed for them. Use ONLY Paintball or Air Tool oils, preferably synthetic. 30W motor oil was also used back in the day to lubricate things, but with paintball and air tool oils so easily and readily available... you might as well use stuff designed for the task.

Spyderfan, if you're offended, take it to PM's. Moderators like threads nice 'n clean.

Modded-Like-Hell
01-09-2009, 02:07 PM
wow spyderfan! shame on you making fun of ppl on the forums lol jk