PDA

View Full Version : MOUT/CQB tactics for those scenarios and games

druid
01-03-2009, 01:48 AM
I am also on SpecOps and X7OG and this type of conversation was brought up in a similar thread there. One member on X7OG (Damifino) recognized me and PMd me that I should also post up/share information for you guys as well. So here I am with that information and welcome others to participate in sharing the wealth of knowledge that forums are great for.

Some (or many) may know that I am SRT in a prison. These are some of the tactics we use (but understand that I'll never fully divulge exactly what we do for our security reasons) and are general knowledge.

The basic premise of any tactical maneuver relies on two things:

1. Completion of the objective
2. Minimize (Eliminate our) casualties

How that is achieved is:

A. Training
B. Adherence to orders (aka "the plan")
C. Communication
D. Unity (fluid movements of a Team with purpose)
E. Anticipation of unknowns.

1. COMPLETION OF OBJECTIVE

We aren't talking real-world scenarios here. We are going to apply this to paintball. The completion of the objective is "the greatest goal" in that game. For some, it's a flag station and others, total elimination. For large scale events like the 2 DDAY games (1 each in PA and OK), those objectives are broken down into different segments for the overall objective...to gain the total win of the game.

2. Minimize (eliminate our) casualties
It's a game and yu can NEVER eliminate your team losses in paintball. That means, you have to minimize your losses. In that respect, training with your team MEANS WORLDS to your success and whatever mission your team draws. To accomplish this, you need to VARY your outlooks on objectives, opposing force numbers and the tactics for that particular terrain.

For this, I will concentrate on indoor (or outdoor) room clearing techniques because let's face it - many fields are building town-like structures that require more than over gunning a mass of opposition.

A.) Your team must constantly train, whether or not you have paint/air at the time. Simply going over movement techniques (wearing ALL your gear), learning communication and HOW to attack a room-structure can advance your side greatly. You must learn to trust one another and each must know every other member's role. This eliminates "cross-rolling" in a particular assault.
B.) If you don't adhere to orders, you will cost your team greatly. There's a reason a plan is in effect - so others in support of you know what you are doing. Deviate from that plan and they have NO clue what you are up to.
C.) Communication between team members and side Commanders is paramount. No one here is a mind reader.
D.) Unity comes from A.) and constant training. It is imperative that everyone knows the other players, their roles and movements.
E.) Anticipation of unknowns is pretty much self explanatory. You have to learn to make allowances for any unknown factor and playing "whatif?" games helps to accomplish that. Simply testing your own mind to say "what if _________ happens?" and coming up with an answer can mean volumes to yur success. This MUST be shared during your training sessions with the others in your team.

On to some movements:

Room entry hot spots The areas are color coded to represent immediate threat level. The green represents the first areas seen by the team members and the red represents the area seen LAST by a team.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/RoomEntry.jpg

----------------------------------------------

Angles of assault in a stack (Room Sweep) This must be done QUICKLY...almost to where the 4 team members need to get into the doorway at the same time. What we do at the prison, can't always be done in a paintball situation. We have huge doorways where a CQB course may not. That being the case, you might only be able to get 2 in at a time so that means the team of 4 has to enter in two separate pairs but in under a second in total time.

Clearing hallways, you either use a "lateral support" assault style, where there are two rows of players along the walls and a point man in the center front...or a diamond wedge. I did not depict the diamond wedge because it does not work all that well. It's used for long hallways without peripheral objectives (rooms off to the side) so I left that out. That point man identifies all openings or breeches in structure and directs that info to the lateral support behind him. There's also a rear guard that watches your 6.

In this depiction, the left lateral line engages the room. The point and rear guard concentrate on the hallway and the right lateral line stands at the ready to replace an eliminated team mate. The color coding for the right line means little in this case, but they need to know the role of the left line person who was eliminated so they know where to "fill in."

For a right side room assault, the same teory applies but in reverse.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/roomsweep.jpg

If there's a doorway on the left, let's say, the point man uses his left hand to point to the open doorway well in advance of reaching it. The unit still moves as one. The left line clears that room while the right line and point man cover the hallway. If you team is made of say 10 players, you have

1 Point man
2 columns of 4, each left and right side
1 rear guard

in the scenario I described above of clearing a door/room on the left side, the left line enters the room. We will number the players in-line to make things easier...

1 enters doorway and sweeps right
2 enters room and sweeps center right
3 and 4 sweep center left and left respectively.

This has to be done FAST.boomboomboomboom. Think 'shock troop'

The first pic I posted tells you your hottest zones in relation to how a door opens.

Green, yellow, orange, red is the color scheme I used to indicate areas cleared as your vision acquires it. Green is immediate, yellow is next, orange after that and red is last. Red is the worst enemy location for an assaulting team because an opponent in the red zone will get the most eliminations before he himself is eliminated by the entering team.

-----------------------------------

Hallways, corridors and streets. Some new field creations add the 3rd dimension of elevated structures or muli-story buildings on either or both sides of the street. The picture below is designed for that street, providing a means for players to defend from threats above.

This is the "Wedge" I spoke of earlier. As you can see, it's a "V" pointed in the direction of travel. The point man concentrates on street-level threats directly in front of him and 2/3 (blue) concentrate on threats to the sides of him. 4/5 concentrate on elevated threats on their respective sides of the engagement area and 6/7 concentrate on the rear in a cross-fire manner. The reason for this is so that they can keep a better eye on the wedge "behind" them and still provide rear support for the team.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Hallwayscorridorsandstreets.jpg

Anyone and everyone may feel free to copy my renderings. If/when asked about it, please remember to use my name as it's creator. Thanks.

Add your knowledge and experiences as well. If you can post pics, do so. Visual aids are easiest to understand.

DFSniper
01-03-2009, 06:28 AM
hmmm, interesting. what about the use of smoke/paint grenades.

extrabonez
01-03-2009, 06:32 AM
thanks for posting this :thumbsup: you did a good job too, will be very helpful for cqb. once again, nice job druid

druid
01-03-2009, 04:37 PM
hmmm, interesting. what about the use of smoke/paint grenades.

I purposely didn't post the use of smoke and paint because that would dip into my SRT training that I will not divulge. However, the use of smoke in an enclosed area should be avoided at all costs. Paint grenades will only be as effective as the thrower...and any interior barriers (desks, tables, filing cabinets, etc) will prevent paint from getting on an opponent.

thanks for posting this :thumbsup: you did a good job too, will be very helpful for cqb. once again, nice job druid

LOL...MOUT/SRT games ftw!....lol....

DFSniper
01-03-2009, 05:01 PM
good point about the smoke grenades.