PDA

View Full Version : Vista Blue Screen Problems

interceptorMR2
01-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Allright, so lately I have been having major problems with my computer. (I've got windows vista home premium, 32 bit) I have unexpected shutdowns on a regular basis and I tend to have at least one blue screen a week that I know of. I've had probably 3 or 4 just today, all occurring when I was trying to scan my computer using windows defender, which gives me good reason to believe it has to do with my mcafee virus protection conflicting with things like the windows firewall or windows defender. The problem surfaced about 2 months ago when my computer freaked on me with the same things, possibly due to spyware or something. We reformatted my drive, reinstalled vista home premium, and supposedly fixed any corruption that was on the hard drive. That didn't last so long though. My computer tends to work slowly (this is more recent anyways) and its fairly common for a program such as internet explorer, windows explorer, or whatever, to stop working and have to restart. I might try turning off mcafee and seeing if that works, but as of now, I'm not quite sure what is causing it, but its doing the same thing as my computer did last time before it got screwed over. Anyone have any ideas on what I should do in order to fix this?

EDIT: Adding on to the [name of program] has stopped working thing, much of my programs on the startup (not just explorer) are randomly stopping, including my sound (it will say something like the sound service is not on or something after an error message saying it has stopped working comes up)

Thanks

HelpDeskHustler
01-02-2009, 05:44 PM
what kind of computer is it?

interceptorMR2
01-02-2009, 07:01 PM
gateway laptop. its an MT6704 model if you wanna look it up.

Is there any possibility this might be a driver problem too? I don't know of any problems with drivers other than the fact that I have no driver for my SD card reader and haven't been able to find one since we reformatted my comp.

EDIT: okay so i read up on a few things and checked my blue screen BCCode (8E) and apparently it has something to do with conflicting, non-existent, or corrupted/damaged drivers for hardware. (Like i said, I have that SD card reader driver problem, so idk) Anyone know how to check for failing/conflicting drivers and such?