PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Power G3

Velocity1221
12-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Anyone have any opinions or suggestions? I'm thinking of picking one up on boxing day. I know there's been a few reg problems if you bottom it out, but dp well send you a replacement if you pay the 5 dollar shipping. Thats the only problems that ive heard.

bigred76
12-23-2008, 10:28 PM
DP sucks. They're a cheap brand for a reason. In that same price range I'd get a different gun, like a BL Protege or a DM6.

ProFalcon
12-23-2008, 10:37 PM
same price range? the G3 is $300 new and the protege is $550, that seems like a pretty large margin to me. you could buy the G3, get a new trigger, board, and bolt for the same price as a protege.

i suppose ultimately it comes down to what you're going to use it for. do you want psp 3 shot? the G3 doesnt have it. are you hard on your guns? the G3 has some cast parts that have been known to break if you arent careful when reassembling from cleaning.

the protege is indeed a better gun, but you'll pay for it.

I've only ever owned one Dangerous Power product, the F7 Fusion. I loved it and didn't experience any lack of quality due to them being a lesser known company. Personally, i think brand name in the paintball industry is hype, but thats another argument all together. If you arent big into tournies, i would go with the G3. you wont find better customer support than DP.

Velocity1221
12-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Well right now my pro shop wants $375cdn for a g3...or $299cdn for an IQ (same as the g3 just with a different feed-neck and asa). I cant find any shops near me that sell bob longs, and arent the proteges a lot more than a g3? the only other guns in the same price range here are the slg's(249 or 370 for the 09 UL), pmr's(295), and the mini(450). But ive heard a lot of bad things about the mini.

Edit: Pro Falcon... Yeah the g3 is in a completly different price range, and i cant find anywhere that sells BL's anyways. I've always heard amazing things about dp's cs. The PSP3 shot doesnt really bother me, but if it does i can buy there factory replacement board for 35 bucks which comes with that, or i could get the APE board later on.

Ive only heard of a few issues with the g3's which are the reg problems and a few people had solenoid problems. In that price range theres only really protos and the mini. The minis are apperently really quirky, and every other paintballer down here owns a pmr lol. As for being hard on guns, i never have been, i always maintain my guns periodically.

bigred76
12-23-2008, 11:07 PM
ProFalcon: I owned a Threshold. When designing the marker preproduction, they FORGOT that anodizing changes the metal's widths, and did not account for it. Thus, the marker is almost completely ruined if it were not for DOW55. Tell me about quality control again. :) Their customer service was awesome with my questions, but that still does not take away from the fact that they forgot simple marker procedure.

[EDIT] - G3's are also at about $399 MAP.

Buy guns used, and you will find that the prices are not that far apart. I traded my Protege for a DM6 not too long ago, and now both guns have a resale value of about $350 (USD). The Mini was such a stupid thing, only half of them worked from the factory. Also, the ones that did work were horrible with paint breakage. Proto's are good guns, I'd take a PM6 used over a PMR anyday.

especiialypsycho
12-23-2008, 11:41 PM
I'd take a PM6 used over a PMR anyday.

I have a PMR and YOUR Pm6 :D

xsvly-fat
12-24-2008, 09:40 AM
I've shot a G3 once and it wasn't that bad but I have heard of people having alot of problems with them.

battlechaser
12-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Being that Tim/BR is a bit of a gun whore, I'd listen to him.. :P

As for the lack of Bob Long support in Canada, try paintballgear.ca, or (and I have heard some nasty things about this site, though they seem to be alright in person..) canadianpaintball.ca. Both carry BL, and as the gun would be over $150, shipping is free. Though, I do agree with BigRed, you can find good used Alias's for 2-300 bones these days, and they're just as competitive as the next gun (plus I think he has one for $275 right now :p).

deano 177
12-24-2008, 09:58 PM
But ive heard a lot of bad things about the mini. The minis are apperently really quirky. I wouldn't say they are "quirky". They definatly like to have good orings in them. I would say you have to change the orings on the bolt and bolt guide anywhere from 20,000 to 30,000 shots, or ten to fifteen cases of paint. Others may vary but this is how mine is...

The Mini was such a stupid thing, only half of them worked from the factory.
There were a few issues with the first batch of minis. 1) 1.1 optimas boards ate batterys (my 1.2 board does, too, so go figure.) and 2) the poppets that were in the first runs were bad (poor designs). They have fixed both of those issues in current release markers. IMO, I feel that minis can hang with any of the more expensive markers. The only thing that you will find is that the more expensive markers will be more consistent. It does suck that the mini does not have an on/off but I have an inline on/off so it is all good.

To the OP: If you want a G3 then you need to look at all the pro's and con's of the marker. Read all you can about it and compare it with all the other markes you like. Don't rush into buying something just because it looks cool. That can be part of your descision but don't let it be one of the main reasons. Good Luck!

spyderfan4271
12-25-2008, 10:40 AM
The mini was actually well designed that's why there isn't a new model each year. If you are not going take the time learn your marker do not take it apart! The reg is set from the factory don't let anyone mess with it. The bolt design is easy access, lube and change orings on. If like buying something you constantly have to upgrade you shouldn't get a mini because a barrel is about all you really need. The mini gets a bad reputation but it has been one of the best I have owned second only to my ego.

ProFalcon
12-25-2008, 10:57 AM
the MAP is $299 USD for a G3.
http://www.dangerouspower.com/
bottom left corner there is a news update about the reduction in price from October 20th.

They are a very different price range, and the G3 was after the threshold, so updates have been made. It isnt without its faults though.

Velocity1221
12-27-2008, 04:01 PM
well i picked up a g3 yesterday morning after a long wait in line.

I just got in from shooting it and wow im pretty impressed so far, i put 3 pods through it.
Im going to play in like a week and a half so ill see how it performs on the field and then ill have a more accurate opinion on it..

But thanks to everyone who replied.

BloodLustAC
12-28-2008, 09:22 AM
I like mine. It's fast, incredibly light, and very simple. What's so bad about it? The cast trigger and eye covers? I actually like the trigger a lot, though many don't. I heard that the reg sucks but I have a Hyper2 to swap it out with, so no big deal. Efficiency is not good, but when I play air is free all day. I'm getting a Protege as my main gun now but I think I'm gonna keep the G3 as a backup, it's pretty nice.

Velocity1221
12-28-2008, 09:38 AM
I really like mine so far, its so easy to get it shooting fast, its been dead accurate. I dont mind the trigger, although there is lots of side to side play but so far that hasnt bothered me. The reg issue isnt a big deal since i can just get the reg parts from dp shipped to me for the price of shipping. I would just buy a new reg anyways. This gun is extremely light, im a bigger guy and it actually is still comfortable to play with. The PSP 3 shot is not a big deal either, but if it turns out that i want it, i can just buy the dp upgrade board for 35 bucks or the APE board. Personally i dont care if its very efficient or not because like you said air is free when i play, and if i want to play any bush ball with some friends i may invest in a scuba tank for fills.

Warnichek
01-05-2009, 09:45 AM
We have sold 2 G3's at this point. I played with one of the "floor models" one day. It shot great and felt great. But a little on the loud side. I don't know of any long term wear and tear problems yet from those customers. Maybe not a lot of time to find out yet. Would like some feedback from them in the next 6 months

Velocity1221
01-05-2009, 10:24 AM
The only problems i have heard of is the reg seat getting crushed if you bottom out the reg...but dp well ship you a free reg seat anyways. I have a hyper 2 somewhere so ill probably just swap it out. Im goin to my field tomorrow to play with it some more, ill let you know what happens. So far i love it, put about a case through it.

spyderfan4271
01-07-2009, 03:50 PM
I thought about getting one until I went to the dp forum on pbnation it really changed my mind. It use to be most dp owners were very content with fusions and f8 going so far as comparing them to ego's at a fraction of the price. Now there seems to be alot of tension over there might just be a couple of jerks that the moderator needs to ban or possibly a serious quality issue.

Velocity1221
01-07-2009, 04:24 PM
I played speedball at my field yesterday for 5 or 6 hours, shot 2 cases of paint, and i am really impressed with the gun... its very light, accurate, and consistent. But it was alittle on the loud side as mentioned above. After the day was over i took off my barrel and looked down it and there wasnt a single spec of paint in there at all after 2 cases. So far it,was definatly worth the price, and its all the gun ill need. So far ive shot 3.5 cases of paint, and absolutley no problems. I shot the mini, slg 09, and the g3 before i bought it and the g3 just felt better imo.

ProFalcon
01-07-2009, 08:05 PM
I thought about getting one until I went to the dp forum on pbnation it really changed my mind. It use to be most dp owners were very content with fusions and f8 going so far as comparing them to ego's at a fraction of the price. Now there seems to be alot of tension over there might just be a couple of jerks that the moderator needs to ban or possibly a serious quality issue.

there isnt a serious quality issue. with the price for a G3 being so low now, there are people buying it as their first gun so they come on the forums going "OMG MY GUN DOEZNT SHOOT AND I JUZT BOUGHT IT NEW!" when actually they are just turning the reg adjustment screw the wrong way, or have no paint and eyes on.

Modded-Like-Hell
01-07-2009, 08:47 PM
there isnt a serious quality issue. with the price for a G3 being so low now, there are people buying it as their first gun so they come on the forums going "OMG MY GUN DOEZNT SHOOT AND I JUZT BOUGHT IT NEW!" when actually they are just turning the reg adjustment screw the wrong way, or have no paint and eyes on.

true...there haven been people like that for the past few days on here too with related problems... just the fault of not reading the manual and not adjusting the gun right doesnt mean the gun is crap... i havent own a G3 but it can be all that bad.

people now adays are to caught up with PRICING. they think that a high price makes the gun good. heres an example : a person with an ego decides to plays with a pmr one day and will say that it is junk because its cheaper. Another person with a spyder will play with that same pmr and think its the greatest thing...... its only opinions and preferance

LostCause
01-08-2009, 02:14 PM
i dont like egos...to much hype...yet all my freinds love them....i think they are way to loud.....

still rather have a timmy....oh well....thats a pipe dream

and people who dont read the manuel give me a huge headache....