PDA

View Full Version : DRAGON's dumb question of the year

DRAGON
12-21-2008, 01:07 PM
OK, it's almost 2009 and I must ask at least 1 dumb question for 2008, here we go:

I have this thing that happens that mystifies me most times when typing in a MS Word format. It frikin drives me crazy to no end since it just happens randomly when typing. It's prolly a simple matter of me inadvertently hitting the wrong key that's setting it off, I really have no idea and I'm certainly no MS Word savvy -

Now that that's outta the way, here we go.....

I'm typing out a letter to someone let's say. Now, normally if I want to change a word or add text between an already typed out string of words, I just insert the cursor in that immediate area then start typing and it adds that text into the string of words as I type. The thing that drives me nuts is, I'll do this sometimes and instead of just adding the new text to the existing string of words, it adds the new text I'm typing while at the same time removing the existing text just ahead of it that I've already typed out. I have no idea why it does this as I have not knowingly prompted it. :shrug: For that matter, I have no idea how to get it back to normal from that point - :headbrick:

OK guys, it's prolly something simple like I'm hitting some prompt that I shouldn't but please be easy on meh - :blush:

vikingshadow
12-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Did you hit the "insert" key? If you did, that will type over the existing text - whereas if you didn't, it would add the text to the existing text.

DRAGON
12-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Um, insert key? Wuts that? -

Wait, I just found that right next to the backspace key. So while doing this I just hit that key again to undo it? -

DFSniper
12-21-2008, 01:21 PM
its next to your "backspace" key and above your "delete" key above your arrow keys. when you're typing, check the bottom of the Word document and see if it says "OVR" in one of the gray boxes. that means when you type, it'll override whats there.

UKwithPride
12-21-2008, 01:22 PM
right above the delete key. Just hit it again and it should be fine.

DRAGON
12-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Well I guess that explains it. I've been trying to hit the backspace key and sometimes inadvertently hitting the insert key instead. I'll try this and I'm sure it'll work as a resolve. Thanks guys! - **Leaves room with head down in embarrassment, tail draggon**

DFSniper
12-21-2008, 01:39 PM
its ok drago, you cant help it that the claws get in the way...

Hoppy11
12-21-2008, 05:39 PM
I felt smart reading this thread. Me knew the answer :D

vikingshadow
12-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Hahaha - I was soooooo happy I got something right after screwing with this dang WPA security crap.

TheDarkShadow
12-21-2008, 06:21 PM

me toos, i always feels teh smarts though

DFSniper
12-21-2008, 07:32 PM

lol, well i GAVE the answer, so nah! :p

vikingshadow
12-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Ahem. I GAVE the answer!

Did you hit the "insert" key? If you did, that will type over the existing text - whereas if you didn't, it would add the text to the existing text.

:p

Modded-Like-Hell
12-21-2008, 07:36 PM
i do that all the time...its annoying