PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Change of BPS,etc In PSP

fatkidfrompbaz
12-09-2008, 05:26 PM
change of rate of fire, teams...
I found this on the nation and thought i post up. Nppl 7 man is dead so we should see more PSP.. but check it out

“ PSP Pro & Semi Pro to be limited to 12 teams. Hurricanes to join the PSP, Joy Division is considering returning to the US to play PRO. BPS for Pro & Semi Pro; 12bps, D1-D3 10bps, D4-D5 8bps

Note: This is not set in stone as we have not received an official confirmation yet. This is raw and uncut.

The logic in moving from 13 to 12/10/8 is questionable. Understandably, it lowers the barrier to keeping a team running an entire season, but 3 different ROF in the same league? Definitely odd.

Its too bad WGP isn’t around anymore, they would make a killing. For everyone else, just turn off your eyes!

-Taken from Pbreserve

What does everyone think of another lower cap on BPS?

From the nation
this is Unconfirmed

Griff
12-09-2008, 06:10 PM
It may help sponsers. and it may bring in some new teams. But I'm Sceptical on it working that way.

TheDarkShadow
12-09-2008, 06:14 PM
that is SLOW... time to break out the revvys!

marvin-martian
12-09-2008, 06:17 PM
wow. why are they setting it so low?

vikingshadow
12-09-2008, 06:36 PM
No more electro guns necessary to play national level. 8 bps - I know of a few mechs can hit that, and a lot of cockers that can go faster!

RSX99
12-10-2008, 06:18 AM
Easier on sponsorship dollars in regards to paint expenditures as well. Considering the current state of the economy, sponsorship will be harder to come by. The lower ROF will help bring in new players to the tourney life since they will most likely have less to spend.

DFSniper
12-10-2008, 06:31 AM
i mean, 8bps d5? like vike said, theres mechs that can hit that. hell, i can hit that on my spyder! oh well, it looks like mags will be making a comeback :D

Muddytaco
12-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Ramping is retarded anyway, just go back to semi and call it good.

deano 177
12-10-2008, 04:22 PM
That's what I thought all along. If you can hit 14bps with your fingers then you should be able to shoot that. Just because your opponent can't why should he be allowed to ramp? If he can only do 8bps then that is on him.

TheDarkShadow
12-10-2008, 07:00 PM

That's what I thought all along. If you can hit 14bps with your fingers then you should be able to shoot that. Just because your opponent can't why should he be allowed to ramp? If he can only do 8bps then that is on him.

I completely agree with the both of you

xsvly-fat
12-10-2008, 07:56 PM
That is really slow and I have to agree with the person who posted that, why would you have three different ROF for the divisions? That is kinda wierd.

RSX99
12-11-2008, 06:55 AM

Well said and I tend to agree.

ferret15
12-11-2008, 10:01 AM
weird but hell i can hit 13 bps with my vs2 on CO2! no real need for a HPA tank. after 13 i had liquid CO2 issues. but thats a different story. I'm sure i was hitting 8 when playing just here and there.. at least that much.

but what it makes me think is paintball heading back to how paintball should be played? a step in this derection would eliminate the need of a lot extra stuff made. or loaders that can put out 40+bps. you just woulnd even need them.

DRAGON
12-11-2008, 10:19 PM
What BS, NPPL drops the ball and PSP now thinks they are GOD - :o

Frankly, this should not affect the main portion of the paintball community which are recballers so I really don't see why so many people are getting riled up about it. I don't, and never have played by PSP rules in my life and I'm not about to start doing so now. I don't use ramping or modes since I really don't need a band aid to increase my rof but could care less if others use it when playing at any rof -

If an abundance of fields start enforcing it(which I seriously doubt will) you can expect renegade fields to start popping up more so than ever. The way fields are dropping dead like the plague as it is, they'd just increase the probability by lowering the rof to a slugs speed for those that don't want to adhere to this. Kinda like telling drag racers at the strip they need to slow down. They'll just take it to the streets -

timbertiger20
12-12-2008, 01:49 AM
What's really jacked up is the Millenium Series has already started charging companies to put markers and all products into their event. Apparently PSP is working on the same thing according to an inside source at MacDev. Millenium will cost just over $60,000 per year for one marker and 3 other products(other than markers with logos. An additional gun added is about $7000. It may very well kill off the smaller up and coming companies. I say limit teams paint quantities and make them think about how they play!

HelpDeskHustler
12-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Sounds good IMO. Cheaper to play ball now. Also it means you'll want better paint and more skill. I hope we see more of this from PSP. Also it should be noted that ROF regulations only apply to electros... Mech guns can shoot however fast you pull the trigger.

even at 8bs if you spend 10 minutes shooting (a very small fraction of a tournament) you will shoot ABOUT $140 worth of paint... They're obviously making paintball cheaper.

DFSniper
12-22-2008, 07:38 AM
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2940435

Originally Posted by Lane Wright View Post
First, I want to clear up the "ignorant" comment. I meant ignorant as it is defined -- unaware because of a lack of relevant information or knowledge

If you're me to present you with the "numbers" of other companies in order to gain your trust, that isn't something that I can do.

I can give you this number -- a group of people who contribute 1.1 million into our 2.4 million dollar operating budget say they want a lower ROF. When it gets right down to it, that's the basis of the decision.

I agree with their interpretation of THEIR numbers and why this is what they want. I also recognize that above and beyond what they pay PSP, they put additional millions into the teams. What they want is paramount in what I do going forward. It has to be.

You are correct that I should probably "act" a little more professional. But it would be just that - an act. I'm not professional. I don't pretend to be professional. Honestly, I don't think it is either one of the more important or more highly regarded qualities needed to do my job well.

I don't dress professionally. I don't look professional. I don't act professional. I'm not a professional. I am a paintball player who happens to get into a position to make decisions for PSP.

The rate of fire is going to be lowered. That is an absolute fact.

You guys can talk about it, complain about it, discuss the heck out of it. But the fact remains, I believe that the best thing to do for all involved is to lower the ROF.

I didn't make this decision one night at dinner. This has been discussed and thought about for months.

I have information that isn't, nor is it going to be, available to the masses. That's just the way it is.

The game will still be fun for just about everyone. The best teams will still win. The best players will still be the best players. Tournament paintball will go on. Next year no one will be complaining about this. 5 years from now, no one will even remember this. I have been through dozens and dozens of changes that "everyone" said exactly this same type stuff about. Just about every one of those decisions was a good decision.

The 2 that i think were wrong --

Separating the NXL from everything.
Increasing the rate of fire because we had the technology.

Both are being corrected (my opinion).

HelpDeskHustler
12-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Best thing for paintball in years.

fatkidfrompbaz
12-22-2008, 02:40 PM
time 2 buy mech markers:thumbup: :yay:

LostCause
12-22-2008, 03:22 PM
hey...now id dont have to spend a lot of money :P

DRAGON
12-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Best thing for paintball in years.

time 2 buy mech markers:thumbup: :yay:

hey...now id dont have to spend a lot of money :P

Imma recballer and could care less - :D

DFSniper
12-22-2008, 04:23 PM
lol, depends how you look at it. last big game i went through half a case in less than 45 minutes with my timmy. switched to my mr1 and hammer and a case and a half lasted the rest of the day!

LostCause
12-22-2008, 05:14 PM
well i mostly play rec ball, but when i go out to play other things and they use PSP rules (kinda dumb by the fact now everyone who flashed/got new boards now have to repeat though) makes it fairer to my Piolt (which im replacing soon.....anyway..

RAWR

HelpDeskHustler
12-23-2008, 10:01 AM
all recently flashed aftermarket boards ARE adjustible to hit 8, 10 and 12bps in psp and xball firing modes.

ttam13xlpb
12-23-2008, 02:39 PM
if its lower than 12 its dumb...i'd still play and everything but 10 is just too slow. nobody want to watch people sit back and shoot and not move but i dont want to watch all bunkering either

and as far as 8bps goes i'd be mad because thats rediculous(sp?)

and im pretty sure aftermarket board companys and all these new fancy hoppers would be pointless as well

DFSniper
12-23-2008, 03:44 PM
dont you get it, with a lower ROF, MORE people will move, and LESS people will sit back... :foreheadslap:

TheDarkShadow
12-23-2008, 04:28 PM
im pretty sure aftermarket board companys and all these new fancy hoppers would be pointless as well

agreed, so what is the point of getting new stuff when the old stuff will suffice or have the possibility of over doing it, semi-auto FTW

vikingshadow
12-23-2008, 05:31 PM
In regards to loaders, I've said that for years. I've never understood why we needed loaders that could load 35-40 bps when guns could only do that if you were shooting uncapped with some sort of ramping involved, which I never did unless it was just for fun. That's why I've always stuck with my Reloader B (with only thoughts of adding a Magna slip kit which doesn't have anything to do with speed...)

However, aftermarket boards offer more than just speed settings - debounce, dwell, eye delay, etc. - all those things are worth it, IMO.

bigred76
12-23-2008, 05:37 PM
if its lower than 12 its dumb...

agreed...

You two both missed the point. The people that pay the PSP 1.1million dollars per year out of their 2.4 million dollar operating cost told them to. It doesn't matter what you think in the end, the league will go on because it made the smart move to agree with their sponsors. See how far you get in the business world with your logic (I promise, it won't take very long at all for you to find out).

dont you get it, with a lower ROF, MORE people will move, and LESS people will sit back... :foreheadslap:
I've never been so sure of that idea, but whatever.... It's somewhat true, but IMO it's not too noticeable until now. I think that it'll just be insane in the lower divisions. The lower divisions have always been full of young fools destroying their bodies trying to make crazy moves, trying to get noticed to move up. This'll just put that into overdrive. Oh well, not like I care. :)

EDIT: Vike, look into an Empire Freeway as well. It really does work, and only cost me $12 after tax at my local PB shop.

TheDarkShadow
12-23-2008, 05:38 PM
However, aftermarket boards offer more than just speed settings - debounce, dwell, eye delay, etc. - all those things are worth it, IMO.

that's true but if you have a good board that already has all of that, what are the companies going to make that are going to make you want to get the newest thing that they have produced?

Critical
12-23-2008, 06:14 PM
The only reason I might disagree with the argument that we don't need faster loaders is if it could be proven that the slower ones are just as consistent. If a loader, or board, for that matter, can run at up to 50 bps, you have to assume that it would be very consistent, and that you should see very few hopper related breaks, whereas a loader that does 15 bps may skip feed, or allow popcorning, etc. I'm not saying that's the case, just that it could be. The same with boards. If the board can do xx bps, when I set it on my piddly little 11 or 12 bps it should work great.

HelpDeskHustler
12-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Not to mention I burned through revvy shells so fast.

LostCause
12-24-2008, 06:54 AM
...I think the PSP is turinging into a Soap...just trying to keep us on oour toes :P

next will be a pump only PSP :P...actually...id do it :P

DFSniper
12-24-2008, 06:57 AM
me too :D

vikingshadow
12-24-2008, 07:32 AM
I understand the idea of higher speed equaling better lower speeds, but I honestly don't agree with it. Software being what it is, it should be consistent no matter what the speed is. However, this isn't a perfect world, and most machines made to operate at higher speeds don't perform so well at lower speeds. Ya just gotta blow the dust out of them from time to time to keep them going. I never had a problem with my Reloader B feeding consistantly, quickly as I needed it, and constantly.

Halos and Reloader B's, back when they came out, were made to feed somewhere around 22-25 bps which is still much higher than anyone ever shot in semi (I still hold to the notion that due to the physical limits of human physiology, no one can shoot higher than 16-18 bps, and that's really pushing it, without some kind of "assistance" as in bounce, soft ramping, etc. I don't care how many videos anyone can show me of people with fast fingers. I still believe there was some assistance because they aren't shooting truly "mechanical" markers. We humans just aren't made that way!)

Also, those leagues with some sort of ramping allowed never went above 15 bps, so the hype in getting the latest, greatest high speed loaders was just that, IMO. Hype. A way to get more money into something that was new, exciting, a lot of the times uglier and most times unnecessary, IMO, though people of course could spend money on whatever they felt they wanted.

However, I will give these new loaders two advantages - those being weight/weight distribution and better shells.

Edit: I'd also play in an all pump league!

ttam13xlpb
12-24-2008, 10:14 AM
yes thats not what im saying...im saying i dont want to only see a bunch of runnin around bunkering either...which brings up newer players that they are hoping to bring in being afraid of being bunkered instead of the higher rates of fire

most high ends now days have good enough boards for the job so aftermarket board companys basically become pointless imo. they can't be happy about this.

You two both missed the point. The people that pay the PSP 1.1million dollars per year out of their 2.4 million dollar operating cost told them to. It doesn't matter what you think in the end, the league will go on because it made the smart move to agree with their sponsors. See how far you get in the business world with your logic (I promise, it won't take very long at all for you to find out).

i know this...im saying i wont be happy about anything under 12bps,not that i wouldnt do the same thing the psp did...i'll play regardless

HelpDeskHustler
12-24-2008, 10:34 AM
i was more afraid of getting hit by 100 paintballs than getting bunkered.

ttam13xlpb
12-24-2008, 12:28 PM
i wasn't. i was worried about gettin a barrel stuck on me lol

Griff
12-24-2008, 04:53 PM
The changes don't affect me, but it may help newer up and coming player with dream of playing pro.