PDA

View Full Version : Shockers

deano 177
12-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Hey all. I have a chance to buy two 2005 shockers for $200 a piece. I know nothing about shockers other than they are SP. The markers come with the CF tanks and the freaks. Pretty much what you see here. I have not shot them yet but I will check them out on saturday. Any thing that I should be on the lookout for? Is it a good deal? Are shockers dependable? What are those things on the tanks? I am guessing regulated on/offs?

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj145/dean0177/shocker.jpg

Hossy
12-04-2008, 03:33 PM
I dont see why you would need both. IF you could, I would get the top one with the bottom ones barrel. They are good guns, some like them and some dont. Resale is not high. 200 is probably fair. With the variety of other guns out there, shockers have not been the fan favorite.

DFSniper
12-04-2008, 04:08 PM
shockers have not been the fan favorite for the past few years.

fixed :D

the on/off thing is the maxflow bottomline regulator (those shockers have gas-thru grips).

codymm1014
12-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Uhh I dont think those are gas-thru-grips... Im pretty sure they still function as regulators. Dont hold me to it though.

SFT's shoot ok, but I feel there are much better guns for the same price. It shoots pretty decent though.

DFSniper
12-04-2008, 04:25 PM
oh yeah, wasnt it the older ones with the teardrop shapes that were gas-thru?

i've shot an sft once, but i prefer my timmy over it. the trigger just seemed odd to me.

Hossy
12-04-2008, 04:53 PM
I agree with the trigger. its different, so try to hold it and see how you like it.

Im pretty sure that it is not a gas through grip. the maxflo is just basically a special ASA.

Modded-Like-Hell
12-04-2008, 05:04 PM
well... i was looking to buy another gun...so why dont you buy them both and i will buy the other off you... i diffenetly was lookin for another and my list included a shocker. sell me one for 200 with tank? let me know. i will wait for ur reply before i buy anything else.

especiialypsycho
12-04-2008, 06:09 PM
i've shot an sft once, but i prefer my timmy over it.

:TUP:

bamf-hacker
12-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Take them both... $400 for 2 shockers + 2 Tanks and Freaks. You could easily get your money back on that deal.

bigred76
12-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Good deal, really good deal if the tanks are in hydro. Those are MaxFlo regulators. Best in the industry as far as I'm concerned for an adjustable tank reg. if you plan on keeping the Shockers, keep orings on hand. They are spool markers and take DOW33. Also be prepared for them to fade: the metal that SP used didn't take anodizing very well. Those two are very good condition as far as that goes, but consistent use in sunlight will change that.

deano 177
12-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Take them both... $400 for 2 shockers + 2 Tanks and Freaks. You could easily get your money back on that deal.
That's what I was thinking. I just didn't want to get stuck with two guns that I couldn't get rid of. I'm torn. I not sure I even want one to play with. But what the hell. I'm gonna take my scuba tank to give them a charge and see how they roll.

Modded-Like-Hell
12-04-2008, 09:01 PM
That's what I was thinking. I just didn't want to get stuck with two guns that I couldn't get rid of. I'm torn. I not sure I even want one to play with. But what the hell. I'm gonna take my scuba tank to give them a charge and see how they roll.

nevermind i guess i will look for another gun

bigred76
12-04-2008, 09:08 PM
I'd like a MaxFlo... :)

vikingshadow
12-05-2008, 05:04 AM
Take the Shockers. I absolutely LOVED mine. Don't buy into the crap you hear about them. 200 for 2 is a GREAT deal. (I just sold mine for almost 600, :) )

Those are regulators, not gas thru's, and honestly? I didn't go through orings all that fast - also I used Dow 33 on the reg but Gunbutta on the bolt. Worked like a charm!

DFSniper
12-05-2008, 08:02 AM
vike, its 200 apiece.

vikingshadow
12-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Whups - meant to say 400.00 for two shockers is a GREAT price.

That's what I get for trying to get in 4 forums in 15 minutes!

Nader
12-05-2008, 11:44 AM
I loved my shocker.
I also took care of my shocker.

what you have there is a damn good deal.

xsvly-fat
12-05-2008, 02:09 PM
That is a really good deal. I used my friends SFT and NXT a few times and I really like them.

deano 177
12-05-2008, 02:14 PM
That is a really good deal. I used my friends SFT and NXT a few times and I really like them.
What is the differance btwn sft and the nxt?

Critical
12-05-2008, 02:21 PM
http://www.zdspb.com/tech/mguide/shockernxt/faq.html

bigred76
12-05-2008, 02:44 PM
NXT has BreakBeam eyes, crappy design, and an HE bolt kit.

Critical
12-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Um, follow the link and it explains things a bit more clearly than that. Plus, design is either a question of esthetics, where some people will like the way it looks and some will not, or, it's a question of engineering, in which it does it's job very well.

bigred76
12-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Sorry, I guess I'll clarify. It looks like ****. Really, they're the same gun. The NXT is merely an upgraded, more intuitive version (meaning they realized people like break beam eyes and a gun that can shoot over 1k shots off a 68/45 stock)

vikingshadow
12-05-2008, 04:15 PM
^^^Basically what he said. I personally didn't care for the NXT - 600 bucks more for a gun that you could have just put 100-300 in upgrades on an SFT and still be cheaper but just as good if not better than...looks not withstanding, just not worth it in my opinion. Also, with the Virtue board I had (or you could throw any board in there now) the bouncebeam eye logic was so good breakbeam wasn't necessary at all.

If I were still playing a tournament every month or two, I'd probably still rock my shocker (or more than likely switch between the shocker and the PMR).

Sandman_Bravo
12-05-2008, 08:09 PM
I love my SFT and I'm currently in the process of having it (and the hopper) hydro-printed in a camo scheme. I'll part with my Shocker when they pry it from my cold dead fingers. I absolutely love that gun, and I've upgraded the hell out of it. Don't listen to the Smart Parts haters- it's a damn good gun. I've shot just about every gun and all the upper end markers shoot very similarly. I really like that low pressure spool valve type of firing; like a DM or PM but I like the feel of the shocker in my hands best. Sounds like a good deal to me. Go for the newer SFT not the max-flo'ed one.

xsvly-fat
12-05-2008, 10:01 PM

Performance wise I didn't notice much of a difference, they both felt and shot just about the same, the NXT may have been a bit lighter and better balanced but it wasn't that big of a difference.

spyderfan4271
12-08-2008, 03:56 PM
I had bought a used 05 shocker sft I changed the grips and ended up crushing the on/off board and had to send it into sp to get it fixed. Sp was suppose to change the board and inspect and relube the marker. I did get it back within a couple of weeks. Took it to local field three days after it came back and found it unreliable. I had a epiphany that out shot that thing. If you don't mind the small size try a mini invert, I bought my second one about six months ago used for $200 on ebay.

TheDarkShadow
12-08-2008, 04:17 PM
I had bought a used 05 shocker sft I changed the grips and ended up crushing the on/off board and had to send it into sp to get it fixed. Sp was suppose to change the board and inspect and relube the marker. I did get it back within a couple of weeks. Took it to local field three days after it came back and found it unreliable. I had a epiphany that out shot that thing. If you don't mind the small size try a mini invert, I bought my second one about six months ago used for $200 on ebay.

lol, that's what he has now!

xsvly-fat
12-09-2008, 12:50 PM

How was the Shocker unreliable?

And yeah he already has a Mini.

Ace24
12-09-2008, 01:47 PM

NXT has more metal, doesn't come in gloss, is heavier, has an odd VA, is ION/Impulse threaded instead of Shocker threaded, have ION regs, break beam eyes (Ribbon eyes) as appose to the "Cyclops" that the SFT is, and they have Nerve boards if I'm not mistaken.

Other then that, they're essentially the same.

That's a good deal.

Vike, I don't know how you've had such good luck with them... honestly. You must have found a gem in the field of twigs then. I've only ever shot one SFT that I liked. NXT's, don't even get me started on how much I hate those pieces of ****.

Quite simply put, it's a spool valve. All spool valves are unreliable. They all require more maintenance then Pontiac and Shockers are at the higher end of the spool valve spectrum for "Need of Maintenance."
Shockers also have random "bolt stick" periods where even right after you lube it, if the o-ring is slightly bad, the bolt will become stuck backwards and will not fire. The first shot drop off on an SFT is also very common unless you have a board that compensates for that.

If you drop some pretty serious cash into an SFT, it can be a good marker. Much like the entire lineup of SP guns. SP is "Smart" though. They are fueling the paintball economy by producing products that you have to spend money on from aftermarket companies.

vikingshadow
12-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Vike, I don't know how you've had such good luck with them... honestly. You must have found a gem in the field of twigs then. I've only ever shot one SFT that I liked. NXT's, don't even get me started on how much I hate those pieces of ****.

Maybe I'm magic?

I think I've said this before, but I seriously think the people who owned the Shockers you've messed with just don't know how to take care of their shockers. I've only seen one shocker in my life that was a piece of crap, and after my friend and I worked on it, it worked great. (Never, never, NEVER put white lithium grease in a maxflo reg - don't know who the idiot was that did that!) Overall, I've probably seen and shot as many as 20-25...

Of course, I could easily say you guys up around your area of the country must have pissed Smart Parts off with the number of junk ones you've seen. Seems a bit over the top on either end of the spectrum.

Quite simply put, it's a spool valve. All spool valves are unreliable. They all require more maintenance then Pontiac and Shockers are at the higher end of the spool valve spectrum for "Need of Maintenance."
Shockers also have random "bolt stick" periods where even right after you lube it, if the o-ring is slightly bad, the bolt will become stuck backwards and will not fire. The first shot drop off on an SFT is also very common unless you have a board that compensates for that.

I'll agree with the first shot drop off unless you have an aftermarket board, though I don't know what you're talking about with the oring thing. I've had a few orings bust in the 5 years I had my shocker, but it never got stuck backwards, though I quess I could see it happening depending on the oring quality and which one broke.

However, I have to STRONGLY disagree with the sentiment that "all spool valves are unreliable." That's just a load of misleading crap, IMO. They don't require that much maintenance, and once you learn how, it's 10 minutes tops to completely break down and lube and put together again. Shoot, I've done it between games in finals before - and you know how fast those can go! In fact, the ION was the biggest piece I've ever had to maintain due to having to take apart the body and the banjo fitting and all that crap.

I'm not going to say the Shocker is the best gun. Not at all. I'm also not going to say that Spoolies are the best guns. Not going to get into that.

However, it's not nearly as bad as you say it is. PMs and DMs are spoolies and those are even MORE reliable than other spoolies, (then there's the Droid!) To be quite honest, my PMR hasn't gone down once. Even when every gun from Minis to Egos to Timmies to Spyders were going down during a freezing cold Texas Storm clinic we had last year, my PMR and a PM6 were the ONLY guns that lasted the entire weekend without crapping out once. (Also need to put in a plug for my Reloader B on that weekend as well - all the Halos were dying, even the one magna was dying, but the B worked like a charm, haha!)

I'm not a guru or someone special wth guns - I just maintain them. And only the basics. So, I have to say that your experience with these guns HAS to be with owners who don't know jack about maintaining a spoolie.

Muddytaco
12-09-2008, 05:00 PM
"all spool valves are unreliable." That's just a load of misleading crap, IMO.

Totally agreed on that statement, my old DM6 was by far the most reliable gun I ever owned. I never once worried about it not working, I believe it still has yet to have any problems with the new owner (mr2woodsballer).

As for shockers going down, 99.9% of the time its because the owner is a noob and either doesn't lube it or puts on massive amounts of lube. Only problem I ever had with the shockers I owned (5-6 I think, can't remember) was first shot drop off but that was easily cured by aftermarket board and proper tuning of the settings.

I liked both SFT and NXT shockers, really the only difference between the two is breakbeam eyes vs. bounce beam, the trigger and the NXT comes stock with HE bolt kit.

Ace24
12-10-2008, 03:04 PM
The unreliability factor comes from NEEDing to be lubed after every X-ball match. It's harder to take out the entire bolt assembly than pop a bolt pin and slide the bolt out and lube 2 o-rings.

It's true, no one here knows how to lube and maintain their Shockers. Timm borrowed a friends Traitor and the thing shot like complete ass. Chopped every other ball and dropped like hell.

I sat down with it, replaced 3 o-rings and re-lubed it and it sounded perfect. I'm just bias against stock Shockers.

DFSniper
12-10-2008, 03:18 PM
lol. whey cody came up here for the big game, his brother's quest was chopping every other ball. at the end of the day his brother realized his eyes had been off the whole time!

Modded-Like-Hell
12-11-2008, 11:17 AM
finally got the top shocker...cant wait till next week to use it...

codymm1014
12-11-2008, 12:57 PM
lol. whey cody came up here for the big game, his brother's quest was chopping every other ball. at the end of the day his brother realized his eyes had been off the whole time!

Haha I remember that. He was so mad.

Id have to say that I catually prefer most spools just cause I like how they shoot, but maintenance is not difficult at all on them. Took me 5 minutes to take apart and relube and clean my entire dm6 bolt assembly, and you only have to do that after every couple of cases.

DriverJ
12-11-2008, 02:01 PM
The unreliability factor comes from NEEDing to be lubed after every X-ball match. It's harder to take out the entire bolt assembly than pop a bolt pin and slide the bolt out and lube 2 o-rings.

It's true, no one here knows how to lube and maintain their Shockers. Timm borrowed a friends Traitor and the thing shot like complete ass. Chopped every other ball and dropped like hell.

I sat down with it, replaced 3 o-rings and re-lubed it and it sounded perfect. I'm just bias against stock Shockers.

Its a very similar thing where people talk about cocker reliability and maintenance, since they are a bit more involved and people don't take the time properly understand the maint and care of Spoolies or cockers they get that stigma.

However even properly maintained I've seen more spoolies with issues than poppits. Not sure why at all. I took great care of my shocker, and so did the previous owner, and it worked great for me, but he had o-ring issues all the time. (he took care of it just like I did, I think it just hated him), because I never had issues with it. But I'd watch him work on it, and he did it all right...

I'd rather own / work on an ego or simple to tear down marker than a spoolie, just based on the time it takes to tear it down.

However I will be coughing up the $$$ for a geo soon

deano 177
12-11-2008, 05:11 PM
However I will be coughing up the $$$ for a geo soon
Them things are getting cheap at the nation. Like $900 and lower....

bigred76
12-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Get a Droid, DriverJ... srsly...

TheDarkShadow
12-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Get a Droid, DriverJ... srsly...

he's sponsored by Planet Eclipse, therefore he pretty much has to get PE stuff

Modded-Like-Hell
12-28-2008, 05:21 PM
took that shocker apart just now to lube the bolt inside after i used it yesterday and it didnt look like the stock bolt...turns out that it has a SP turbo HE bolt inside... saves me some $$$

nastystankweed
12-28-2008, 09:13 PM

I have owned both high end spools and poppet's and it seems like your claim that spools need to have the o-ring's relubed after every match is quite exaggerated. I play x-ball and 2 weeks ago when we had the 3man xball open (we WON) I shot close to 8 cases of paint with my DM9 and i had no problems at ALL with it. The gun worked amazing, we played 43 actual games in total and my DM did not chop or leak at all. The only problem I had with it was that I forgot to put the air on at the beginning of a game. I my experiences with my proto's and Dye's they have been extremely reliable. I own a sl-74, I formerly owned an ego7 and a Sl-8r and I can honestly tell you that I would take my spool's over my poppet.

It is a common misconception that spools are unreliable, in reality the is far from the case if the gun is properly maintained. In my experiences the spools haver become more reliable, I never chopped with my pm8 and I have yet to chop a ball with my DM and i have had it for about a month and a few weeks now. Sure I have broken balls in the barrel and my magna has fed some cracked and broken balls into the gun. Spool's that i have tried such as PM's and DM's are much gentler on paint and consistent then some of my past ego's. They are not that hard to maintain either, all it takes is a few turn's of an allen key and the whole valve assembly and bolt pop out. Once someone becomes accustomed to the spool system it becomes quite it easy to clean and lube. I also dont need to lube my gun every 2,000 shot's. It is more like every 20,000+ shots or after each use. Spool's really are great gun's and poppet's are too, it really all comes down to personal preference.

timbertiger20
12-29-2008, 07:08 AM
I think the important factor is not how frequently you service them, but your technical ability when you do service them! Too many people think because they are easy to maintain Droid's will are an awesome choice for a marker.......and they are, however at the same time I have seen alot of performance complaints. 95% of the time......it's improper maintenance. The amount of lube being more critical than most people think. You can't go in and add gobs of lube and slap it back together thinking the more lube the better.........most of the time all you need is wet o-rings and then a service every 10 cases. It really is that simple! Poppits just happen to be a little more forgiving but ultimately to maintain the highest efficiency and the best operation........typically you just want to put the lube on and use a finger as a squeegee to wipe most of it off. That should leave a tiny bit in the groove between the o-ring and the milling for the o-ring.

spyderfan4271
12-30-2008, 04:35 PM

I owned the shocker and the mini at the same time. I sold the shocker and kept the mini. My shocker would stop shooting like the loader or marker batteries were dying. I kept powering down and back on in the middle of a speedball game. I switched batteries and went out early next round, switched to my back-up(mini) and no problems so I don't think it was the feeder. I purchased the shocker used and can't account for original owners maintainence or lack of, but I sent this in to Sp and it supposedly was fine. My freind on my team had shocker before he got his angel and said his did the same thing. I wasn't really trying to bash sp but warn of what I have seen.

xsvly-fat
12-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Huh. That is pretty wierd, I remember my friends SFT did that a bit but mostly it shot fine.

Modded-Like-Hell
12-30-2008, 08:21 PM
I owned the shocker and the mini at the same time. I sold the shocker and kept the mini. My shocker would stop shooting like the loader or marker batteries were dying. I kept powering down and back on in the middle of a speedball game. I switched batteries and went out early next round, switched to my back-up(mini) and no problems so I don't think it was the feeder. I purchased the shocker used and can't account for original owners maintainence or lack of, but I sent this in to Sp and it supposedly was fine. My freind on my team had shocker before he got his angel and said his did the same thing. I wasn't really trying to bash sp but warn of what I have seen.

i played with it all day saturday and it was fine...even used a used battery and it never died out...the only thing was that it was turned up to 240 psi so i dropped it down a bit cuz it was shooting 323 fps... its also true that if u buy one used from someone, u cant blame the gun for someone else's doing... im just glad that Deano played and tested it before he bought it and sold it to me... i cant complaint shocker performs well

Sandman_Bravo
12-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Shocker love...

... it's infectious.