PDA

View Full Version : What is milsim to you?

slim and shady
11-18-2008, 01:10 PM
I seen this on the Milsim empire page and i was interested in stealing it to see our users responces.

1.) What is MILSIM paintball to you?
2.) What makes a MILSIM game?
3.) What makes a marker really a MILSIM marker?
4.) What elements do you have to have to be considered a MILSIM player?
5.) Do you think that there should be limits on they type of marker used for MILSIM?
If so what are they? Why do you think so?
6.) Do you think that there should a limit to how much paint a MILSIM player can have?
7.) What about clothing? What is acceptable for a MILSIM game?
8.) Should a field owner/game promoter require certain things of MILSIM players?
If so what? why?
9.) Are MILSIM and Scenario paintball the same?
10.) Are there other factors to make a MILSIM game? MILSIM player? MILSIM marker?
If so what? In your opinion what are they?

If you dont want to answear the questions respectfuly please dont post. There are other threads you could move on to. respect everyones opinions and no flaming please.

jim762
11-18-2008, 01:22 PM
1.) What is MILSIM paintball to you? Anything weapon that looks like it is a military weapon.
2.) What makes a MILSIM game? A game where military type tactics are used to to fulfill an objective
3.) What makes a marker really a MILSIM marker? If it resembles any past or present military fire arm
4.) What elements do you have to have to be considered a MILSIM player? i think its a mind set and any equipment.
5.) Do you think that there should be limits on they type of marker used for MILSIM? No, there are no limits in real life.
6.) Do you think that there should a limit to how much paint a MILSIM player can have? No, as long as you can carry it.
7.) What about clothing? What is acceptable for a MILSIM game? Anything. If you don't want to blend in and be a target its up to you.
8.) Should a field owner/game promoter require certain things of MILSIM players? No.
If so what? why?
9.) Are MILSIM and Scenario paintball the same? Yes and no. Scenario games set certain objective and follow guidelines set out prior to the game, and are directed towards a certain goal, or modeled after a certain event. But they are milsim.
10.) Are there other factors to make a MILSIM game? MILSIM player? MILSIM marker? I think is all about how you play the game and where you play the game.

slim and shady
11-18-2008, 01:22 PM
1- To me milsim paintball is the attempt to replay epic battles in a military oriented setup. To use team tactics, have commanders, units divisions ect.

2- To me what makes a Milsim game is the use of military replicas tactics and apparel to an extent. A bright red speedball jersy to me would clearly not fit the criteria. The use of things like full auto(I know your gonna love that Red!) launchers mines and other replicas all add to the milsim feel.

3- An attempt to in some way make your marker look more realistic, the use of somesort of round limiting mag on the marker also.

4-I think that the answears for 1, 2 and 3 cover that pretty well

5-No I dont think so, I think that the use of milsim markers is great but I wouldnt think that limiting it to such would help the sport advance in any manner.

6-Nope, i think that each individual carries a load bassed on there objective(SP) and the role there commander wants them to play.

7-Something tactical in tearms of vests and such, deffinatly cammo in terms of clothing.

8- As in any Paintball game i think the only thing a feild owner should expect is that each member on the corse show respect to there fellow players.

9- Yes and no I think that the idea of having objectives is the same and time limits ect. However milsim is a larger step into team organization and a overall team commitment.

10- None that come to mind.

DFSniper
11-18-2008, 02:57 PM
recreating paintball guns to look like real ones

story line, objectives and looks

looks realistic

camo, tactical-looking gun

5.) Do you think that there should be limits on they type of marker used for MILSIM?
no, as long as it looks "tactical"

6.) Do you think that there should a limit to how much paint a MILSIM player can have?
no

camo/uniforms

8.) Should a field owner/game promoter require certain things of MILSIM players?
If so what? why?
no more than regular scenario/woods players

no. scenario is about story, milsim is about looking the part

10.) Are there other factors to make a MILSIM game? MILSIM player? MILSIM marker?

bigred76
11-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Is this a trap designed for me? :dodgy:

interceptorMR2
11-20-2008, 08:32 PM
-Its the chance to replay famous battles or create my own real world type situation, all wound up in realism.

missions, objectives, a story or at least some type of background, and realism.

Realistic looking, something that makes you feel like you are actually a part of a battle.

-camouflage, milsim marker, a sense of appreciation for realism.

5.) Do you think that there should be limits on they type of marker used for MILSIM? If so what are they? Why do you think so?
-No, just make it go along with the guidlines of a milsim marker.

-Never, unless you are limited for reasons that contribute to the realism of a game.

camouflage, camouflage camouflage. Add in some tac vests maybe too.

If so what? why?
No, at least nothing different from those of typical scenario addicts.

Nope. Milsim is about realism, on the other hand, Scenario is a predetermined situation that a game is based on. Scenario can incorporate milsim, but it is not essentially milsim.

Nothing much more, the player, the game, and the marker all need to have one thing in common, and that is realism.

slim and shady
11-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Is this a trap designed for me? :dodgy:

No Red its not a trap, you have just bein far to quite lattly so I thought id get you all fired up again. ;)

bigred76
11-21-2008, 12:24 AM
OK, then I have no shame in saying it: I feel that those who play "milsim," and those who buy "milsim" markers are.... very kind individuals who are misguided and need a shining light to bring them back into the light. ;) Thought I was goin' to snap, didn't ya??? :D The girlfriend took me into the doctor and told me that I need to relax more often. :(

jim762
11-21-2008, 12:47 AM
OK, then I have no shame in saying it: I feel that those who play "milsim," and those who buy "milsim" markers are.... very kind individuals who are misguided and need a shining light to bring them back into the light. ;) Thought I was goin' to snap, didn't ya??? :D The girlfriend took me into the doctor and told me that I need to relax more often. :(

LOL...Thats not what the email notification that i got said. :dodgy:

bigred76
11-21-2008, 01:25 AM
Sure it wasn't. :D

DFSniper
11-21-2008, 04:03 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3224/2411273690_477b023215_o.jpg

cheri took tim to a shrink! about time!

slim and shady
11-21-2008, 10:15 PM
LOL its about time someone did! be willing to bet that was an expensive sesion, good thing Tim has alot of guns to sell! you see then his GF will be twice as happy ;)

bigred76
11-22-2008, 11:13 AM
How'd you know? I have 4 guns lined up with pictures taken to be posted up on the auction block, I'm just stalling and wasting time before I have to sell them... :(

slim and shady
11-22-2008, 08:37 PM
I know eveything Red.......well except how to spell ;)

druid
11-24-2008, 10:14 PM
I seen this on the Milsim empire page and i was interested in stealing it to see our users responces.

MilSim=Military Simulation. That means it's a recreation of a military operation from the past or a "hypothetical" military type scenario for the future.
Relying on tactics to accomplish a goal of the scenario...rather than soaking the enemy with paint - unless a specific 'role' (like heavy-gunner) is used. Some might even include markers that "look" the role.
That's dependent on what that particular person thinks of MilSim. To me, it's a marker that is set up to function like a military role weapon - limited paint per loading and after that, aesthetics.
You have to decide if it's "past'" or "future" to decide that. Past would incorporate all (or as many) of the elements that occurred in that event. "Future" is dependent on what you think Military role will be in that time frame and any format you can conceive for it.
If it's just you and yer buddies out for a day...no...but you should limit the marker capabilities to that of the 'weapons' used in that scenario....semi or 3 shot burst.
To be truly MilSim...yes...but that's dependent on the marker you are using for a specific purpost. Heavy gunner=a lot of paint. "Sniper" roles, limited paint and "light-tomedium" gunners semi/3 shot burst).
True MilSim would (in one's mind) require the "uniform" of that particular actor...SWAT black for Police replications, Woodland BDUs for US, Flecktarn for "Past" German infantry, etc...
If so what? why?
If he is trying to keep the "history" of the even correct, then yes. However, I think it's a lot to ask of people, to go out and buy new and different clothes just for one event.
That depends on how the promoter structures the event.
The scenarios have to be understandable, the goals achieveable and the players need to be more disciplined towards military behaviors. That means no "Rambo" players allowed. Everyone works as a unit and FOLLOWS THEIR COMMANDS. The markers mean little as long as the player can hit what they are aiming at. There is no "I" in "Team" and most paintballers don't seem to get that. We see too many "glory-hounds" that run off to do "their thing" and while it might serve well for the team, it's self-serving first.

If you dont want to answear the questions respectfuly please dont post. There are other threads you could move on to. respect everyones opinions and no flaming please.

All that bold being said, I play a lot of scenario/MilSim games both locally and on private property. There is such a thing as 'going overboard' and I see a lot of that with how Commanders bark at their 'troops.' To lead is one thing but you need players that listen too. Then there's the whole "MY GOD, MY A5 WEIGHS A BAZZILION POUNDS!!!111oneoneone" player who thinks that because he's got $500 in MilSim upgrades to his marker, that he's the next Carlos Hathcock waiting in the shadows for some fool to not watch where he is going.....

You get out of a game what you put into it but it also depends on the leadership and how much the 'troops' listen to them.

MVS1
11-30-2008, 09:02 AM
I didn't bother reading all the post just the title....Milsim to me is eating MRE's that look like MRE's but actually taste decent :D.