PDA

View Full Version : Big 45 mm red dot

Natman
11-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Hi all, I just wanted to share my experience on this topic:

I bought a cheap 45mm red dot scope from Hong Kong online (that's huge BTW, 30mm is the norm). I got the MR carry handle/riser to go with it and a JCS 3/8" offset. The JCS offset stinks! It was one of the least expensive ones available and I have to say it bites. It fell off halfway through that day. I realize I should have used locktite on the threads but it was very small and the parts which clamp to the handle dovetail are tiny.

So I just bought the Rap4 offset and it totally kills the JCS. It sticks out more by 1/4" and is ridiculously solid. Now I don't need to cut the stock for mask clearance, but the placing of the red dot when I aim is a bit more tricky since it doesn't line up with the barrel (but that's obvious any time you use an offset). This fits my MR-1 beautifully with a clamping feed neck and Ricochet AK hopper (though it's a tight fit). I would honestly not recommend the JCS one which is flimsy in comparison. Sad thing is, winter is setting in up here in Canada, so there won't be any more paintball for me this year :(

DFSniper
11-16-2008, 11:40 AM
no winter paintball?? thats the best time of the year to play woodsball!

Natman
11-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Somehow I don't like the thought of frozen paintballs hitting me :)

Kunithrayin
11-16-2008, 01:41 PM
just tape some handwarmers inside your hopper ;)

DFSniper
11-16-2008, 02:07 PM
actually, it takes a while for paint to freeze. so unless you leave it sitting in the open air all day, they wont freeze. i'm not sure what the freezing point of paint is, but im pretty sure its below 32*.

Natman
11-16-2008, 02:30 PM
...And just how balmy do you think it gets here? We commonly get a daytime temperature of -4 in the middle of winter (although that is a couple of months away). Right now it's down to 30 degrees at night. Unbelievably sucky!!!

Kunithrayin
11-16-2008, 02:53 PM
well if you keep your paint inside or in a pod on your back while it's not in your hopper you'll be fine, it's not guna freeze instantly. and if it does just use some handwarmers ;)

BYUrdneck
11-17-2008, 02:55 PM
It takes a lot to freeze a paintball, and unless you have some liquid nitrogen lying around, you will never do it. Even if they get really cold - they get brittle, so they will break easier. I left a hopper full of paint in my truck overnight and when i went to get them they were freezing cold to the touch. I took them inside and I dropped one on my padded carpet floor and it basically shattered the ball. I will agree that fall/winter is a great time to play paintball - its really fun in the snow too! You can always get winter paintballs too.