PDA

View Full Version : it's nice to find a shop...

calebh
11-01-2008, 03:29 PM
...with guys who still know what they're talking about.

today i went to a store here in new orleans. the owner not only knew what mags are, he had one hanging on his wall. he had a shoebox shocker that he had recently worked on hanging up. a SHOEBOX! i haven't seen one of those in years! the kids he had working in the store knew what they were talking about. my friend bought some paint, and the owner actually opened the case himself to make sure there were no breaks.

i've just had a few interesting experiences in the past, where i get funny looks for my mag or phantom from owners, refs, techs, whoever should be somewhat knowledgeable about paintball and its history. one time i needed a fill on my 4oz co2 tank, and the guy filling tanks looked at it and was like "what the hell is that?" i was also told i'd have to get it hydroed soon. wtf? (2x2 rule, anyone?) that's confidence inspiring... i've been told i can't make sure there's no breaks in a case before buying it. i walked out of the shop.

i was just thoroughly impressed with this store (Rock-It Games in metairie, if anyone in the area doesn't know about it), and i will be bringing my business back. it's nice to find a true enthusiast still running a store.

jim762
11-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Just checked their website....looks like a great shop!! Wish they did internet orders.

vikingshadow
11-01-2008, 06:50 PM
That's why I really liked working with the guy who ended up running our field (also my teammate for years). He INSISTED we knew what we were talking about before we dealt with customers - by the time the field closed down, there probably wasn't a gun I wasn't afraid to work on and could talk about.

It makes a huge difference when the person behind the counter (in a store, at a field or wherever) knows something - like you, I've dealt with people who didn't know crap and it's not fun!

DFSniper
11-01-2008, 08:28 PM
old store in NC, the guy told me running a torp on my spyder would ruin every o-ring in my gun, and the one here only knows how to work on tippys/BTs. he has spare spyder parts, but i've never seen him work on one, and he has a tech friend he calls on for high-end guns.

SpyderMan723
11-02-2008, 06:15 PM
If i do anything with my life, I wouldn't mind owning my own shop.. closest one to me is about 25-30 miles away..:smashpc:

TheDarkShadow
11-02-2008, 06:43 PM
If i do anything with my life, I wouldn't mind owning my own shop.. closest one to me is about 25-30 miles away..:smashpc:

:yeahthat:

DFSniper
11-02-2008, 07:24 PM

let me know, i have nothing better to do with my life :up: