PDA

View Full Version : scracthed lens

hoodtrix
11-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Ok so im starting to get upset with paitnballing. everytime i go out my lens get scracthed. Its not from me actuly playing(i dont land on my face) but it happens anyway, I bought the Vforce grillz and first time out (i played for like 7hrs)it got a narly scracth halve way thru. Is there some sort of coating I can put on them or what. I dont want to spend $20 for a new lens everytime i play. Any ideas on how to buff the scracths out?

Critical
11-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Any buffing you might do would impact the safety aspects of the lens. If the scratch is minor, you can either live with it, or replace the lens. If it's a significant scratch, or goes through anything more than the very outermost layer, replace it immediately. Which is worth more, $20 for a lens, or your eyes?

hoodtrix
11-01-2008, 12:13 PM
$20 a lens a gane I got two eyes I can lose one and still be fine
j/k J/K JUST JOKING!
that better ppl?

vikingshadow
11-01-2008, 01:15 PM
What? Don't perpetuate the paintball stupidity. That definitely deserves an eyeroll. :eyeroll:

On the matter of your lense - watch where you're walking. If you're playing in the trees, start avoiding the branches instead of walking through them. Also, don't lay your mask lense down, and keep it in that protective bag it came with. Otherwise, just be more careful with them. I have lenses that are over a year old that have hardly a scratch on them - just switched them out because they were getting old.

jim762
11-01-2008, 02:57 PM
$20 a lens a gane I got two eyes I can lose one and still be fine :eek:

bigred76
11-01-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm just going to say this and leave it at that: you're a ****ing idiot.

Buy a new lens and stop *****ing and moaning. Get a goggle bag and pay attention to your gear to keep it in peak condition.

jim762
11-01-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm just going to say this and leave it at that: you're a ****ing idiot.

Buy a new lens and stop *****ing and moaning. Get a goggle bag and pay attention to your gear to keep it in peak condition.
:yeahthat:
:lolsign:

bigred76
11-03-2008, 01:51 AM
You know what's sad... my girlfriend saw Jim's sig and got all upset at me for saying something so "harsh." I then showed her this thread and what the OP said, and she said the exact same thing I did!

She also is wondering what a "scracthed lens" is... I told her I don't have a ****in' clue either.

jim762
11-03-2008, 02:23 AM
Sorry if I got you in trouble Red.:o I'm glad you have a girl friend that realizes when your right.:applause:

slim and shady
11-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Common guys if you dont want to help then dont post. Its esier to ignor a post like this then turn it into an issue if you feel the need for that PBN always has alot of threads like this that you can feel free to join the crowed of over zelous members wh feel the need to bash then help.
I deffinatly agree there were a few less then intelegent remarks about the lens and what they protect. I agree whole-heartedly safty should be the number one priority in any paintball game. I do to however have alot of respect for the members on here and I know you can handle yourself in alot more of a respectable manner then this. Make your point, but I ask that you do it with respect for eachother. From time to time we all make the mistake of posting something, or saying something that we probably wish we would have kept (SP) to ourselves, so lets drop the bull**** and just worry about the people you feel you can help.

Your the veterans on her set an example.

vikingshadow
11-03-2008, 10:22 AM
I agree, but since there are only a couple of vets that could have been considered condescending in this thread, I'mma gonna defend mahself!

I stand by my "Don't perpetuate the paintball stupidity mark." I didn't call him any names - in fact, I actually gave suggestions. I think this sport is full of trouble as it is, so I pointed out that he shouldn't act that way, even in jest. (Or at least without a hint that it was sarcasm...) Sure, we all make mistakes, but he could have gone in and edited his remark, unlike real life where we can't take back what we say without leaving a mark.

I don't feel that my post was anywhere worthy of PBN type posts, and his comment still deserved an eyeroll.

bigred76
11-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Slim... You know me, I say what I think. If you're beyond hope, well... :shrug: Nothin' much else I can do but prod and poke and laugh at ya. Had what I said been totally uncalled for, the moderators woulda warned or infracted me, and I woulda shrugged it off and moved on. Stupidity on these forums is very rare, and as such, a lot of times people don't see me getting upset over people being idiots. As Vike said, this isn't really a face to face kinda deal. He can, without damaging his ego, come in and post something like "oh, I was tired and not thinkng straight" and I'd just dismiss the whole issue altogether. But blaming poor manufacture of lenses for his malfunctioning in life... not cool.

Disclaimer: I just woke up and am grumpy. Oh, and I gave him two very valuable sugestions. ;)

hoodtrix
11-03-2008, 11:23 AM
my god ppl, some of you are complete tards...retards...however you care to spell it. Yes i cant spell well...WHO CARES. I've never understood why some ppl cant get over them selfs and look past spelling errors. If a person cant spell theres a good reason most of the time. Im my case I actuly have a learning dissability hinderd more by the fact I did not fully attend 2nd&3rd grade(where you learn the basics of spelling) because of a very ugly and long devorce between my parents that left one of my 3 other brothers mentaly f****d for life (my lil issue is small compared to his issues, and know most of the time a dictionary does not help so dont bother saying use it)Second the comment "$20 a lens a game, I got two eyes I can lose one and still be fine" was ment as a joke any f******g moron inclueding my messed up brother could f****g tell that. Im just looking for ways to stop having to replace lens all the time. I have to work OT just to go play pb. I have a huge array of bills so anyway to save money helps. And no i cant really save anywhere else. Its not like I can stop paying for my 2kids, my 2cars, my house and everything else that comes with being a responcable father and adult. I personaly thought the lens where scratch resistant yet all of them get messed up quick.

slim and shady
11-03-2008, 11:37 AM
I said what I said to you both (Red and Vike) as a friend, im sure you both know that and I also mentioned that I agreed with you, and I do. The point of my post was that (And I beleive you told me this once Vike) that online things can be missinterpreted(SP) and what we are doing when we missinterpret a "joke" is scaring away members from the forums. I know how you are Red, I respect that. However I feel you were out of line, like you, I voice my opinion. Im sure you both know already there is no hard feelings either way! We have all bein into it before ;) And I definatly agree vike, worthy of an eye roll.
Hoodtrix, we all have our bag of **** that we carry around with us, I cant spell either I didnt think anyone cared either way about that. But your last post is WAY out of line and im not going to put my reputation on the line if your going to act the way you did. If you ask for trouble then have fun reading one of Vikes 5 page put you in your place rants! good luck. Red I dont think this would be worthy of getting a warning or any other kind of punishment your the better man, I expect that will prevaile.

Critical
11-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Hoodtrix:
1. Insulting other members is uncalled for, and a quick way to never get any help again.
2. Bypassing the swear filter is against forum rules. We the users have agreed to maintain a PG, perhaps at times a PG-13 community here. Swearing, in this case, is a sign of far too much emotion over something you started.
3. Making a joke about having 2 eyes and being able to lose one, is in poor taste for one thing, and is just a bad joke to make over the internet where people cannot interpret what you mean by the words you have typed.
4. It sounds like you have quite a few responsibilities outside of paintball. Perhaps it's time to put your gear down and wait until $20 for a replacement lens is not such a hardship.

Ace24
11-03-2008, 03:51 PM
I have a feeling you need to make a correction to how close your gun is to your face. You're probably rubbing the gun across your lens. Thats the main cause of lens scratches at our field.

bamf-hacker
11-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Thank you Ace for a good answer.

THE REST OF YOU CUT IT OUT..... You know who you are and what needs to stop.

davmitchell77
11-06-2008, 10:12 PM
wow.
i love this sport. i love this country. i believe in freedom. i believe in freedom of information. it is the latter that is of interest here.

a paintball lens is optical plastic, though compositions vary. it has to have optical clarity. plastic scratches though.

you can't buff out scratches because the buffing will vary the thickness of the lens in places, resulting in distortion of light transfer through the plastic. plus, that's silly.

compact discs are plastic. optical plastic. they depend on an unchanging thickness to keep the laser from distorting. (i can see the light bulbs over some of your heads now.)

scratches on a lens can be repaired using any quality cd repair kit (obviously, not the ones that spin the disc). follow the instructions, and the optical resins will fill the voids, restoring (as nearly as possible) the proper thickness and clarity to the lens.

have i done this? yes. does it work? yes. will i do it to a goggle i'm going to wear? nope. do i recommend doing it? nope. add this to silencers, explosives, homemade hooch, and electronic jamming equipment. it's one thing to know HOW to do something, and altogether another to know WHEN.

my family tree, and my friends family trees, are filled with veterans who served to give us freedoms. i served to give us freedoms. i think we should know whatever we want. we just need to know what to do with what we know.

remember, a knife is no more dangerous than a stick, until a murderer picks it up. ( i don't know who said that, but i'm not that deep, lol)