PDA

View Full Version : I'm moving over to the Dark Side

druid
10-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Ok...so I'm getting a used A5 with Cyclone and for the most part, it's stock and with the lip shaved and the internals polished. The following is also included:

Tech-T Squishies
14" J&J 2 piece
X7 Hopper
M4 style collapsible butt stock
Shocktech DropForward
Stock end cap
Stock parts

It also comes with a 45/3000, 2 20oz CO2 tanks and a 3lb CO2 tank with a standard tank pin-valve (he says it's roughly the size of an 88/45).
It has an APE Egrip with the Rhythm Innovations double magnetic trigger and WAS board. I have to solder a battery lead back onto the board but it otherwise works fine and I'm cool with that.

He painted the marker Olive but at his offer and then my request, he's rendering it back to black. Here are pics he sent me before changing the paint back.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/A5/Picture085.jpg

And then painted...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/A5/IMG_0613.jpg

As you can see he had a Palmer Reg on it but sadly, it's not included with it.

He should be finished returning the marker back to black within the week or so.

So I started pondering some upgrades - what I used to use and what is now available...

I've owned not less than 4 TBoards before and had great success with them. Then last night I wrote to Damon at Scenario Dreams about the UTB. He already responded to my questions and says that the UTB does work in the A5 Egrips and added that because of the cyclone, I won't really need the eyes (but I'm thinking about getting and installing them anyway just for giggles.) I also want the small membrane pad to activate my marker instead of making the grip "nail" mod to turn on or mess with the WAS board.

Then I went over to the TechT site so I could read up on some upgrades. Then I went back over to the A5OG forum site and began reading around on upgrade opinions. It seems almost standard that I upgrade the ratchet system in the cyclone. Ok, that's on the list. The Lightning Rod seems a viable candidate as does the Q.E.P.H. upgrade. The marker already has the squishy paddles so I'm good there. I'm familiar with the Palmer Stab reg and I'm thinking about adding that to the list as well.

Now here it is in a nutshell.....

I know almost nothing about the A5. I know it's a single-tube blow back marker that typically uses high pressure air or CO2. Other than the upgrades I mentioned above, would any of you recommend anything else? I may put a red dot on it but that would be it. Otherwise, I'm not really interested in aesthetic upgrades...only internal or efficiency related. I want to get this set up for OK DDay as my primary marker and plan on slinging some serious paint with it.

Any help or suggestions from A5 owners would be grand and appreciated.

bigred76
10-17-2008, 02:00 PM
That Cyclone feed is the biggest gas consumer out of the whole marker. Getting that upgraded should be your first step apart from the Palmers. The upgrades on your list are perfect thus far, and I think that should do you fine for D-Day. Just be sure to bring that oil like we talked about: Tippmanns love the stuff.

TheDarkShadow
10-17-2008, 02:05 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! how could you do this??? looked good in the first pic, not so much in the second...

bigred76
10-17-2008, 02:11 PM
It's Paul... don't ask and he won't tell. :rolleyes:

DFSniper
10-17-2008, 03:45 PM
my only problem with the A5 is that the cyclone feed hose has a tendency to leak, and a microline on the outside of a woodsball gun isnt exactly one of tippmann's better ideas. there's a reason the old cockers had a shroud for the pneumatics.

druid
10-17-2008, 03:50 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! how could you do this??? looked good in the first pic, not so much in the second...
LOL...the OD in the second pic is being stripped off as we speak. He's putting it back to it's original black for me.
It's Paul... don't ask and he won't tell. :rolleyes:
Too late and too late
my only problem with the A5 is that the cyclone feed hose has a tendency to leak, and a microline on the outside of a woodsball gun isnt exactly one of tippmann's better ideas. there's a reason the old cockers had a shroud for the pneumatics.
I have an idea about that because...well...you know me - :D - Phantom or AutoMag RT valve tubing and end fittings should fix that right up (provided the fittings are the same size).

bigred76
10-17-2008, 04:14 PM
You mean the steel hard line for Phantoms?

ferret15
10-17-2008, 04:28 PM
I considering making a better lp kit that the ones out there. drill out the striker, drill out the vavle, get a new vavle spring thats lighter and then see how low it can go.. with all the other mods out there as well

druid
10-17-2008, 04:36 PM
You mean the steel hard line for Phantoms?

Yes. The one that uses the small compression fittings in the - automag RT valve - :D and to connect it to the vertical adapter or in-line regulator

Griff
10-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Play with it then see what you whant to do to it. Threre are many uppgrades put most of them are for looks more than performance. I've seen an RT A5 keep up with some high end markers. Have fun with it and let me know if you find some thing that shood be upgraded. My 52 year old Dad is getting one for Christmass. He Plays one 24 hour game a year.

bigred76
10-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Paul's not that old, hahaha. He is old enough to know better than to get rid of a good thing... but I'm not going to go there. ;)

I'll see what I can look up and get back to ya, Paul. Sounds like a good idea, and I think it'll work just fine. Certainly better than the stock line... plus, you can paint it a nice black color to match the marker.

druid
10-17-2008, 10:52 PM
1. I've seen an RT A5 keep up with some high end markers.
2. Have fun with it and let me know if you find some thing that shood be upgraded.
3. My 52 year old Dad is getting one for Christmass. He Plays one 24 hour game a year.
1. I've seen some videos of these going 30 bps.....just sick for a woodsball marker. That's dependent on the board though and by all accounts over on the A5 forums, the WAS board isn't "all that." I'm thinking about throwing a UTB in it and a bouncebeam eye on the left shell. I was told by Damon I wouldn't NEED it but idk....to me it couldn't hurt...lol.
2. I will. It already has some upgrades done to it like Squishy paddles and polished internals. I know the squishies are softer on the paint in the cyclone which is always a good thing (I guess) and polished internals are ALWAYS good on EVERY marker...lol.
3. I'm 38, will be 39 for OK DDay and we'll be there for the entire week prior to the big game. "WE" being me, my 12yr old and 19yr old daughters and the 19yr old's bf.

Right off the bat, I can tell you what everyone is telling me...Barrel, squishy paddles, polished internals, spring kits, rear velocity adjusters. For the most part, everyone is swearing by TechT's internal upgrade products. Me, I think I want a Freak back for it even though it comes with a J&J 2 piece barrel.

Paul's not that old, hahaha.

1. He is old enough to know better than to get rid of a good thing... but I'm not going to go there. ;)

2. I'll see what I can look up and get back to ya, Paul. Sounds like a good idea, and I think it'll work just fine. Certainly better than the stock line... plus, you can paint it a nice black color to match the marker.

1. Tim...Tim...Tim......I know I know. Just be glad I still have your M98 in one piece (except I added a vertical ASA in the front grip for a 3.5oz tank :D ).

2. Yeah....a straight line and compression fittings like the Phantom or RT Mag uses...Hell...even my 68 Magnum uses them but it's a really short line (like 2" long). If all else fails, I can see if I can get a short piece of stainless steel brake or transmission line...or UGI natural gas line and fittings (like they use on the breather/meter units) and I also found that specops sells a tombstone with a macro fitting installed ON THE SIDE. That means my in-bound air line won't stick straight down like a typical marker does...I can run it out the left side of the marker and back to a QD fitting for a remote. That will "clean up" the look of it some also. The problem then is only swapping out the macro-fitting for a 90+ compression fitting and then I can run a s/s hard line there too (and ditch the macro). As for painting it...I'd sooner use black shrink tubing for an even MORE cleaner look.

bigred76
10-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Wait, what? The BF will be going???? **** buying a new gun, I'm going to look into buying a plane ticket over there just to school his ass. :D

And let's not forget pointing and laughing at his nose... :roflmao:

druid
10-18-2008, 02:27 AM
Wait, what? The BF will be going???? **** buying a new gun, I'm going to look into buying a plane ticket over there just to school his ass. :D

And let's not forget pointing and laughing at his nose... :roflmao:

LOL....yeah he's going to play. Lizzie is playing and Jess is going as camera girl. The BF doesn't know what side he wants to play yet so that's a crapshoot if he's on my side or my target :D

EDIT: BTW, Palmers has all the supplies I need...the straight tubing and the fittings. What it DOESN'T say is how long the pieces are...

especiialypsycho
10-18-2008, 07:30 AM
Maybe a flatline? I've heard good stories about them

druid
10-19-2008, 12:44 AM
meh...there are mixed reviews on the flatline. I also don't like how it looks. I'll be getting a Freak back for it because I have a dust black AA tip for my Mag I can swap over with the inserts. I also have the 1" freak tip for CQB scenarios :D

especiialypsycho
10-19-2008, 09:15 AM
what about those apex milsim barrels?

druid
10-19-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm getting a Freak back for it. I want to make it an efficient "sleeper"

especiialypsycho
10-19-2008, 10:59 AM
whats a "Sleeper"

bigred76
10-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Oh boy... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sleeper

druid
10-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Yeah...pretty much ^^ that.

Modded-Like-Hell
12-05-2008, 09:17 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! how could you do this???

the darkside of the force

spyderfan4271
12-14-2008, 02:05 PM
It's just a tippmann not a smart parts not really moving all the way over to the darkside now is it?

spyderfan4271
12-14-2008, 02:08 PM
I have just been contacted by a certain companies legal team that I can not make the previous statement. So please try to forget that you ever read it.

Modded-Like-Hell
12-14-2008, 08:18 PM
wow

DFSniper
12-14-2008, 08:22 PM
I have just been contacted by a certain companies legal team that I can not make the previous statement. So please try to forget that you ever read it.

lol

druid
12-15-2008, 09:37 AM
take the thread jacking elsewhere.

Here is the latest pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/A5/100_3839.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/A5/100_3840.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/A5/100_3841.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/A5/100_3842.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/A5/100_3844.jpg

The barrel below the marker is a Palmer Brass with APEX tip
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/A5/100_3852.jpg

DFSniper
12-15-2008, 09:58 AM
very nice :up:

TheDarkShadow
12-15-2008, 12:59 PM
looks good but I think you went a little overboard w/ the digicamo imo

druid
12-15-2008, 08:31 PM
I did it to match my Kilt and jacket. I mean I could have done the WHOLE thing but that's where I stopped...lol