PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Mower go-cart project

irishwarrior
10-17-2008, 11:44 AM
If this needs to go in the custom section than, mods please move :)...

My dad is letting me take apart the engine of an old lawnmower this weekend and I'm thinkin of putting it in a go-cart. I'll step-by-step it as I go along. We'll see what kind of shape the engine's in and work our way from there.

PS: If I can pull it off can you say "Fuel-Injected Turbocharged Lawn Mower"?!

ferret15
10-17-2008, 03:16 PM
why would you fuel inject a lawn mower that has an intake for a carb.

throttle body injection if they make it or you can mod it.

irishwarrior
10-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Well, the "upgrades" I do all depend on what I have to mod on the engine and if I need to reposition things, scrap others or even get completely different parts. And, I dont know much about engines yet, but I'm in Auto Shop 1 and trying to use this as a learning tool.

DFSniper
10-17-2008, 06:48 PM
reminds me of the time my friend and i tried putting a 5hp mower engine in a pedal kart. didnt get very far :(

ferret15
10-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Well, the "upgrades" I do all depend on what I have to mod on the engine and if I need to reposition things, scrap others or even get completely different parts. And, I dont know much about engines yet, but I'm in Auto Shop 1 and trying to use this as a learning tool.

well, you first have to choose a good block to work with and then something with some decent heads.

but since we are talking about small engines
2 or 4 stroke (chainsaw is 2) (many pushmowers are 4)
both will be aircooled
they will be carbrated for your price range

you will have access to parts to rebuild your engine if its running rough.

So your main concern is
do you have a go-cart frame
do you have an engine with a side crank. Its the easiest to attach gears straight, no transmission.
and Do you have enough HP?

irishwarrior
10-18-2008, 04:20 AM
well, you first have to choose a good block to work with and then something with some decent heads.

but since we are talking about small engines
2 or 4 stroke (chainsaw is 2) (many pushmowers are 4)
both will be aircooled
they will be carbrated for your price range

you will have access to parts to rebuild your engine if its running rough.

So your main concern is
do you have a go-cart frame No, first things first, taking the engine apart, cleaning it, putting it back together and having it run
do you have an engine with a side crank. Its the easiest to attach gears straight, no transmission. Dunno if it has a side crank, will find out when its out of the frame
and Do you have enough HP? Not sure, but if I can I am going to try and give it as much HP as possible regardless of need.

Hope that answered that!:D

irishwarrior
10-20-2008, 03:17 PM
K, so opened it up, cleaned it, it didn't seize up which is good, all I need now is a new head gasket.