PDA

View Full Version : Handgun owner experience

Solar
10-10-2008, 06:08 AM
Howdy,

I was thinking about purchasing a hand gun soon (shot my friends 40 Smith and wesson and loved it). I was thinking about getting either a Berretta 92FS or the 96FS (Can't decide on the caliber yet).

I was just wondering if there were any gun owners out there and what there experiences were.

P.S. I realize that before I make any purchase I should try it out. Just trying to get some general experiences.

Critical
10-10-2008, 08:00 AM
It really depends on what you're comfortable with. My personal suggestion would be to see if there's a range close to you that will let you shoot several different handguns, some around here will rent them to you, and you buy the ammo from them at the same time. That would allow you to see what's too big, or too small, allow you to shoot a bunch, and make a decision from that.

Solar
10-10-2008, 08:35 AM
oh absolutly. And i plan on doing that. I was wondering about other people experiences.

STRIKEFIRST
10-10-2008, 09:48 AM
It really depends on what you're comfortable with. My personal suggestion would be to see if there's a range close to you that will let you shoot several different handguns, some around here will rent them to you, and you buy the ammo from them at the same time. That would allow you to see what's too big, or too small, allow you to shoot a bunch, and make a decision from that.

Thats the best advice one can give.

I can suggest a Springfield Armory XD. (I carry the xd in 40 s&w for the safety features. it points similar to a 1911 and is accurate as all get out.)

Any name brand 1911. (S.A., Colt, Kimber etc...)

xsvly-fat
10-10-2008, 01:49 PM
^ True, my dad has a 1911 and I love it, it's a really fun gun to shoot and it realy has no problems

Taillo
10-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Yeah go at a shooting club, i think you should choose the gun for the feeling it gives you. Example, i was a glock fan until i tried one. It was a 9mm and had the kick of a 45 and you almost feel the internals shaking inside.
I realy love the beretta but not eveyone likes its recoil. I tried the .40 version and the recoil feels too much in a upward rotation.
The 1911 models have a clean backward recoil and are among the best .45 pistols for speed shooting competitions. I shot one chambered in super .38 and its noise was ground shaking. I dont like their grip.

Calliber choice is another thing. You have to choose for its stopping power, accuracy and recoil.
Stopping power if its for defense: .40 .45
Accuracy is more for sporting purpose: .38, 9mm, and smaller
Recoil is for large animal hunting and serious intimidation: .354 .44 .50 and up.

jim762
10-10-2008, 03:08 PM
I love my Sig GSR 1911, and my wife shoots the barretta 92fs almost everyday and loves it. She is a small arms instructor in the Navy. I have also shoot a few other SIGs and liked them. Its really all personal preference. I really like HK also

Solar
10-11-2008, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the feed back guys... greatly appreciated.

Griff
10-11-2008, 08:38 AM
My queston is do you like polermer guns? if so Glock and XD are exlent choises. I Notice a little more muzzle flit from thr XD. I think it's due to the gun is a little taller than say the Glock.

Is this gun for Carry or just for fun att the Range? If you like the 40 cal you should try a 357sig less kick,louder but from the reports I've read it Has simular up side like the 9mm for accuracy and shoot ability and ouut of a 4" barrl verry simular ballistics to a 357 mag.

Solar
10-12-2008, 06:29 AM
Wasn't a big fan of Glock. (both in appearance and how it held) I've never shot one before though. So i will deffiately do that. Everyone i've talked to say they like them.

Mostly it would be for just fun at the range. That's why i'm leaning towards the 9mm.

DRAGON
10-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Stopping power if its for defense: .40 .45

I have some hot 9mm 95 grain hollowpoints that will rip your insides up. They may not have as much power as other calibres but will do some hella internal damage to um.....stop someone.

I stagger rounds in the clip: 95gr JHP, 115gr FMJ, 95gr JHP, 115gr FMJ.....
I do the same thing with my .12 ga: Bri-slug, .00 buck, Bri-slug, .00 buck......
This way I have the best of both worlds close and afar at hand -

Sometimes stopping power depends on the type of round you use. Hollow points of course being your least expensive best choice. I've never known .45's as being too accurate but agree they do have the stopping power. BTW, you omitted .44 mag and .357 mag in your stopping power list - ;)

TheDarkShadow
10-12-2008, 02:35 PM
not to hi-jack a thread but... we have a 9mm at hone from WWII and it hasnt been shot in MANY YEARS, do you think there is any reason why we shouldnt shoot it/ do you think it would mess anything up?

bigred76
10-12-2008, 02:43 PM
I think you should take it into a gun smith and have it checked out first. I shoot a 9mm P38 (the one with the Nazi Eagles, if you know what I mean! ;)), and it shoots like a charm. Just have to make sure that it's good to go as far as mechanics, but it SHOULD be just fine if you clean it.

Oh, and Drago, you forgot one... .454 Cassull. Doesn't matter if you hit that *** or not, he's getting the hell away from you and your flare gun styled handgun. ;)

Taillo
10-12-2008, 04:12 PM
I have some hot 9mm 95 grain hollowpoints that will rip your insides up. They may not have as much power as other calibres but will do some hella internal damage to um.....stop someone.

Yeah sure hollow points will increase damage, i was refering to basic ammo.
I dont know whats the stopping power of a 9mm hollowpoint.
What i know is if you have an aggressor high on pcp the 9mm will kill him but not stop him unless its a head shot. The guy still can cause serious damage before dying.

Its the same reason soldiers in irak asked their commanders to equip them with something with more stopping power than the 5.56.

jim762
10-12-2008, 05:06 PM
I know back in the 80's the Navy used colt 1911 45's and 7.62 M14's. They switched because all the other services were using 9 mm and 5.56. They whole military switched to 9 mm and 5.56 because of NATO. I agree the 45 has more stopping power. I know Kimber is producing compact 1911's now, and as soon as i get back to the states I'm going to check one out. Living in japan you are not allowed to have weapons. Luckily i get to shoot every now and then when my wife has spare ammo. Check out this link for good info on fire arms. It lists pretty much every manufacturer and what they produce.http://world.guns.ru/main-e.htm

DFSniper
10-12-2008, 05:14 PM
my dad loves his H&K .45 for the sheer stopping power, and will never own a 9mm because the army's service pistol fails in comparison to the H&K and the Colt he had.

jim762
10-12-2008, 05:27 PM
I totally agree, the Berreta 9mm pales in comparison to the colt 1911 and any HK, which is why a lot of military units, especially the Special Forces guys use other 9mm models. I have an HK G3 rifle back in the states and i love it. Nothing beats HK quality. I have never heard anything bad about them!!

STRIKEFIRST
10-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Here is the best advice for what ammunition to use for carry.

Ask what your local PD uses and use it. Reason being...if by some chance and god forbide any of us absolutely HAS NO OTHER OPTION, but to pull our firearms and use deadly force (may I remind everyone that the only reason to pull a carried weapon ever is it is the last resort and therefore you are shooting kill) You WILL end up in court. Pretty much a fact of life. This is what we are taught in CCDW. You will be on the defense. The prosecution will use anything out of the ordinary about your firearm or ammunition and use it against you. Add-ons, upgrades, lights, grips, trigger jobs, ANYTHING other than a stock firearm they will go after. Special ammunition boasting stopping power ETC...and your ammunition is one of there big ticket prosecution attacks.

So one of the easiest ways to eliminate is ask your local PD what they issue for standard patrol duty.

My local PD uses Federal Hydra-Shok. A great round. So I carry 40 S&W 180 grain Federal Hydra-Shok.

So if god forbide I am ever on the stand in my own defense...and I am asked why I chose to carry what I did...My answer is simple...That's what my local Police Department uses and recommends. If it's good enough for them, It's good enough for me.

I know that all may sound like some nut talking...but that comes from having Law Enforcement and retied Law Enforcement in the family.

Just a little advice and my 2 cents. :)

Taillo
10-14-2008, 12:20 PM
So one of the easiest ways to eliminate is ask your local PD what they issue for standard patrol duty.

You have there a nice and logic option. But unfortunately its not a choice avalaible to all.
Im in canada, cops usualy carry Walther P99 (montreal police) chambered in .38 special. That ammunition is considered " Restricted " to law enforcement officers and thus are not avalaible to the public.

If you can use the same ammo the local police use, it has many advantages.

In case of a zombie attack, the police calliber would be the easiest to obtain.
In case of an armed revolt, the police caliber would be the easiest to obtain.
In case of a national disaster, you can share your ammo with the police so everyone is able to shoot at the hurricane/tsunami/ufo/viruses/invading robots...

jim762
10-14-2008, 09:09 PM
This is my wife's preferred weapon (SIG GSR .45 cal)
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm140/jcbrower/IMG_0046.jpg

And this is mine. (remington 870 12 ga. 8 rd mag)
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm140/jcbrower/DSC00023.jpg

STRIKEFIRST
10-15-2008, 08:55 AM
You have there a nice and logic option. But unfortunately its not a choice avalaible to all.
Im in canada, cops usualy carry Walther P99 (montreal police) chambered in .38 special. That ammunition is considered " Restricted " to law enforcement officers and thus are not avalaible to the public.

If you can use the same ammo the local police use, it has many advantages.

In case of a zombie attack, the police calliber would be the easiest to obtain.
In case of an armed revolt, the police caliber would be the easiest to obtain.
In case of a national disaster, you can share your ammo with the police so everyone is able to shoot at the hurricane/tsunami/ufo/viruses/invading robots...

I was refering to U.S. Handgun laws and CCDW policy as taught in Kentucky and Michigan, since those are the States I am most familar with regarding this issue.

And the rest of your statement...what the hell are you on? Zombies? Armed Revolt? National Disaster? I didn't see a dodgy so I'm ASSUMING you don't like my response...

You may not like my point of view...but that's recommended by law enforcement officers I know and have grown up with...and for good reason.

This is a serious matter and frankly I don't appreciate that kind of ridiculous post.

STRIKEFIRST
10-15-2008, 08:56 AM
This is my wife's preferred weapon (SIG GSR .45 cal)
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm140/jcbrower/IMG_0046.jpg

And this is mine. (remington 870 12 ga. 8 rd mag)
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm140/jcbrower/DSC00023.jpg

That Sig is sharp.

Taillo
10-15-2008, 09:42 AM
I didn't see a dodgy so I'm ASSUMING you don't like my response...

I respect your response, i was not making fun of you, i was pulling a joke and if it needed a "dodgy", sorry i dont know what it is.

I was saying, " You have there a nice and logic option. "
But unfortunately it is not avalaible to canadian public, unless its for .12 gauge ammo. If it was avalaible to me, i would do it.

STRIKEFIRST
10-15-2008, 10:07 AM
I respect your response, i was not making fun of you, i was pulling a joke and if it needed a "dodgy", sorry i dont know what it is.

I was saying, " You have there a nice and logic option. "
But unfortunately it is not avalaible to canadian public, unless its for .12 gauge ammo. If it was avalaible to me, i would do it.

I'm shocked at Walthers in .38...I don't know anyone who likes that for self defense...let alone Law Enforcement. Let alone having it restricted.

Wow...I feel bad for your L.E.'s.

vwjimmy
10-15-2008, 10:46 AM
I have several handguns....from vintage to modern day weapons....
I also have a Kentucky CCDW Permit.
Carrying a weapon is far different from owning/shooting one.
For having a weapon on your person that is ultra reliable, comfortable and powerful....I carry a Glock 9MM with Hydro Shock.

Taillo
10-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Wow...I feel bad for your L.E.'s.

Oh ! I feel bad for them too...
In Montreal, cops are not used to do gunfights, they almost solve everything with words and when they use their sidearms, they usually make a fiasco:

Armed bank robber leaves the scene in a taxi backseat. The poor innocent driver gets shot by police.

This summer, cops speaks to a teenager who is known to have relations with street gangs. The guy was playing dices on a bench in a park. The discussion ended with the teenager shot dead. The event triggered a riot and the population called for a public investigation.

Two years ago, cops entered in a Shock and Awe manner into the house of a family man, believed to have relations with organized crime. The cops entered his home and shot everywhere. Trough the door of one of the daughter's room. They missed her by a close margin. The father really believed he was attacked by fellows of the organized crime, so he defended his family with his own gun. He shot a cop dead on his bedroom doorstep. He realized he shot a cop when he heard " Officer Down ".
The guy was brought in front of a judge. He won. Cops didn even fill an appeal request because they knew they where wrong.

In Montreal, every cop is required to do 1 hour of practical shooting each months. All gun owners i know practice more than 1 hour by month.
So, i think they should stay with their .38 for the security of the citizens.

'01edgered
10-28-2008, 01:54 PM
if this is going to be your first one defiantly make friends at a local club or range. ive shot chamberings from 22LR to .454 and soon a 500S&W. find the one that is conformable in your hand. aims where you point it ( in defensive situations sights dont always get used) personally i would not go smaller than a 40S&W in a auto and 357 in a wheel gun. I carry a S&W 1911 in .45ACP of coarse. 200 gr XTP at a +P load. this round is a little much for some. the 10mm auto is also a nice round but not as abundant now as it used to be. it is the parent to the 40 being longer and higher velocity. 457 SIG is also a nice round, its a 40sw necked down to 9mm( thats right it does not take a 357 bullet if you reload it) one thing to NOT do is buy a firestorm, or a Kaltech. even if you are just shooting at the range the reliability is not there and youll not be happy with them. those kimber compacts and carry are very nice. ive been considering one myself good luck shoot straight and safe